Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

Being pleasant pays..

Heck!  It doesn't just happen in Canada.  Way back in the dark ages when I had my 1 bedroom apartment here in S.F. You would be amazed that it was only $175 a month with underground garage parking and I was in the back, off the street, top floor, so nice and quiet.You would be surprised how many neighbors across the backyards kept their blinds/curtains open and walked around buck nekkid.  And these were very gorgeous young ladies to boot, or booty!:biggrin:

Way better than any TV program!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

Heck!  It doesn't just happen in Canada.  Way back in the dark ages when I had my 1 bedroom apartment here in S.F. You would be amazed that it was only $175 a month with underground garage parking and I was in the back, off the street, top floor, so nice and quiet.You would be surprised how many neighbors across the backyards kept their blinds/curtains open and walked around buck nekkid.  And these were very gorgeous young ladies to boot, or booty!:biggrin:

Way better than any TV program!

Watch the movie "Love Actually:, which combines airports, love and travel and this .... uh,,, discussion.  There is a scene where a Brit travels to Milwaukee and his ... uh ... dreams come true.  It is hilarious, and the actor is a dead ringer for someone I used to work with who was not heterosexual...

Way back in the dark ages when I had my 1 bedroom apartment here in S.F. You would be amazed that it was only $175 a month with underground garage parking and I was in the back, off the street, top floor, so nice and quiet.

That must have been a long time ago, 50’s or 60’s? My grandparents used to live on the 20-something floor of a building over by Embarcadero and the TrasAmerica building. It wasn’t that large an apartment, two bed, two bath but they were paying over $3000 a month for it. My aunt was living in a smaller one, not far from there on a lower floor and paying over $2000 for less than 1000 square feet.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Just now, cmpbellsjc said:

That must have been a long time ago, 50’s or 60’s? My grandparents used to live on the 20-something floor of a building over by Embarcadero and the TrasAmerica building. It wasn’t that large an apartment, two bed, two bath but they were paying over $3000 a month for it. My aunt was living in a smaller one, not far from there on a lower floor and paying over $2000 for less than 1000 square feet.

1974-1983  The owner sold the building and the rental agency for the new owner sent a letter upping the rent to $220 and I said "That's it...I'm buying a house"!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 minute ago, charliearon said:

1974-1983  The owner sold the building and the rental agency for the new owner sent a letter upping the rent to $220 and I said "That's it...I'm buying a house"!

I cant believe it was so inexpensive that recently. I wonder why my grandparents were paying so much and yours was so cheap?

2 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I cant believe it was so inexpensive that recently. I wonder why my grandparents were paying so much and yours was so cheap?

Over in that district (Downtown) TransAmerica building on Washington and Montgomery and over towards the Embarcadero was very expensive prime real estate, then and now.   Most of the apartments/condos in the new Salesforcrce tower sold for $5 million+ and the stupid build is leaning😱

Charlie Aron

Over in that district (Downtown) TransAmerica building on Washington and Montgomery and over towards the Embarcadero was very expensive prime real estate, then and now.   Most of the apartments/condos in the new Salesforcrce tower sold for $5 million+ and the stupid build is leaning😱

It's why I moved from the Bay Area to Phoenix.  Today I rent a no lease apartment, month to month, full utilities, four pools, one bedroom, full utilities minus the Internet, for $655 a month.  You just cannot live more cheaply than that in most places in this country.  I am on a bus line, which links to light rail, which links to Sky Harbor Airport and Downtown Phoenix, so I can go to a baseball game, or basketball game, without even using my car and drink as much as I want, though I am a non drinker.  I just like the convenience.  It is ten minutes to the Light Rail Line then Zoom Zoom Zoom.... For $2.00, since I am on Medicare, I can ride all day long, almost anywhere in the metro area of nearly four million people, stretching more than sixty miles east to west and more than forty miles north to south.  Location, Location, Location, our secret..., those of us who live here in this hole in the wall know what we are doing....

Amazing how things go from getting a free 'Next day delivery', to the prices of property in San Francisco!  :rolleyes:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

30 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Amazing how things go from getting a free 'Next day delivery', to the prices of property in San Francisco!  :rolleyes:

Or hear about Ron walking around his house in the "ALL-TOGETHER":blink: And now to counter Catcuspants: I can walk down the hill from my house(4 blocks) and take BART to just about anywhere I can think of.  BART to the airport KSFO or KOAK for around $3.  I have a senior Clippercard and can ride Muni bus anywhere for free.  Bus stop is about a block and a half from my house.

Maybe time to get back on subject??

Charlie Aron

Or hear about Ron walking around his house in the "ALL-TOGETHER":blink: And now to counter Catcuspants: I can walk down the hill from my house(4 blocks) and take BART to just about anywhere I can think of.  BART to the airport KSFO or KOAK for around $3.  I have a senior Clippercard and can ride Muni bus anywhere for free.  Bus stop is about a block and a half from my house.

Maybe time to get back on subject??

I miss BART and the Vallejo Ferry, but I could not afford the high cost of living in the Bay Area, it was a quality of life issue.  I was not rich, I had to build a career and make my way in the world and the Bay Area offered no opportunity for that. 

It had low IT wages and high housing prices.  Phoenix was the opposite, it had high IT wages to entice people to come and make this a metropolis, and low housing prices.  I have no regrets, I could have never afforded flight lessons living in the Bay Area, I left my wife with a 3100SF two story house with a park view, nobody peering into our windows at night and when we split up I let her keep it as her nest egg, because I already had retirement wrapped up on my end. 

And together this year, both of us proudly got our daughter to Northern Arizona University, she is aiming for the foreign service, to be a world traveler like I was, and like her mother was to a lesser extent, and certainly like her grandfather was, my father, a nuclear health physicist who helped launch the nuclear navy and who helped the nation recover after Three Mile Island.  It's all there in the Navy and Government history for those who want to brag about their bona fides.  Admiral Rickover knew my father, the father of our aircraft carrier fleet and nuclear navy.

John

4 hours ago, charliearon said:

Yeah, those prices are ridiculous. I just looked up my grandparents address at 440 Davis Ct in SF. If I were to rent their apartment now, the company website (The Gateway) lists it at $5600 to $5700 a month. Geez, you’d need to be making a good amount of money to afford that. They still have rent control out there?

Ron,

One of the first thing I learned when leading a bunch of 11B draftees through the jungles of SE Asia is "it's all about how you approach folks", especially when my back was to them 90 percent of the time and they all had guns. 🤣

Grace and Peace, 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

This has all gone beyond me. I'll leave you chaps to it.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I keep my blinds closed. At my age, I would scare the neighbors, not get laughs.

• Like 1

Being pleasant with gate agents has landed me in first class many times.  Most memorable was when my flight out of Reagan was cancelled due to incoming weather.  I was asked if I'd be willing to take a comp taxi to Baltimore to fly home.  I said "Sure, as long as I get there before my flight, I would enjoy the ride".....  The agent, she smiled and said "Here you go, enjoy your first class seat home on your non-stop to SFO".  I went to Baltimore, but we had an hour gate hold because the weather that cancelled my Reagan flight was approaching.  So the huge squall line moved thru, soaking the airport and shaking our USAirways 737-400.  The moment it passed thru, we hurried to the runway and took off like a rocket to the west.

On another flight out of O'Hare to Phoenix, weather caused us to fly north to Green Bay so we could get to cruising altitude over the squall line of heavy thunderstorms, then we progressed to the southwest to fly home.  So a straight line is not always the best way home or the quickest, the alternative is a long gate delay that pax protest to the astonishment of the flight crew, given weather is an act of God and not their fault.  I have heard pax cuss out flight crew and gate agents over weather delays, as if airlines use them just to annoy passengers.  Ahh, flight safety, what does a pax care, they are not responsible for 150 souls on board and tons of baggage or a multi million dollar airframe...  Better yet is when pax cuss out aircrew and gate agents for equipment problems, like the time when one of our engines blew on a 737 in Bozeman Montana on start up.  Ahh, these things can fly with just one engine, let's fly anyway is their mindset, I got to get home to cuddle with my wife or go out on a hot date....

John