Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

Add on xml method

Is there a way currently or planned to allow the 50 (and others) to be added via the add on xml method as opposed to directly into the P3D folder?

I have not tried forcing the install to a dummy folder and manually creating the xml file.

Thanx,

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Just an update on installing the GTN750, having a problem with the Falcon layout tool …!

Not sure how to call up the location when the Airplane folder is in the Add-ons documents folder.

bob  edit.... I think the problem is its not finding the location of the Airplane folder in the documents Add-ons folder !

may have todo  a manual install of the GTN750

Edited by onebob

How about the Custom option? Does that allow manual path input?

Vic

edit: Using Custom, it "says" it worked but it doesn't. Manual copy of the correct cfg file seems to work though. Everything seems to run fine as addon.xml.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

Vic

The tool opens with the custom option,( P3D V4  not available ) clicked on 'Locate Sims main Folder' and entered the path to the P3D, GPS options  still greyed out. also tried a path to the panel location in the Add-ons folder , no joy. 

edit.. running w10 ( 1809)  but I doubt its down to that.

bob

Edited by onebob

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

Vic

edit: Using Custom, it "says" it worked but it doesn't. Manual copy of the correct cfg file seems to work though. Everything seems to run fine as addon.xml.

sorry missed your edit, what cfg file were you referring to.

edit.. yes I remembered the panels are there , copied it over, now all working.  thanks vic

bob

Edited by onebob

If your using the panel management tool and it does not locate your sim you can use the custom choice. When using this choice you do not look for the aircraft folder you simply locate the main sim folder. 

Ok i see your talking about having panel config issues if the aircraft is in the add ons folder. Why would you want to change the location. And we have updates that will require a new installation. Seems pointless to use this other method. We also prevent the installer to install to dummy folders to prevent potential theft.

Also do not post info on where files are located in a public forum due to potential theft.....We had a previous post removed from this thread already!

Edited by Flysimware

11 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Is there a way currently or planned to allow the 50 (and others) to be added via the add on xml method as opposed to directly into the P3D folder?

I have not tried forcing the install to a dummy folder and manually creating the xml file.

Thanx,

Vic

Vic,

I have not heard of the 'XML method' that you are talking about. What is this method and what advantages does it offer?

Thx,

Al

Edited by ark

11 hours ago, ark said:

Vic,

I have not heard of the 'XML method' that you are talking about. What is this method and what advantages does it offer?

Thx,

Al

LM recommends that add ons be installed outside of the sim root folder. I suspect that, down the road, this will become mandatory. Many developers are switching their install method but not all and it is ONLY a recommendation. Basically, the add on is installed elsewhere and an xml file is created that points to the install location. The advantage is that it allows LM to control what goes into the sim folder and when doing a reinstall of the sim you do not have to reinstall the addon. It is picked up automatically by P3D. Personally I find it much more efficient when updating the sim etc.

12 hours ago, Flysimware said:

Also do not post info on where files are located in a public forum due to potential theft.....We had a previous post removed from this thread already!

Understood - check your PM.

Vic