Sign in to follow this  
newtie

external frame rate limiter

Hi all-

Do external frame rate limiters work correctly in 4.3?

I'm trying to use the nVidia Inspector limiter. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Can find a definite pattern as to why, yet.

Thanks,

Mark

The NI limiter is a little finicky.  But the bigger question I have is, why are you using an external limiter with P3D 4.3?

I didn't think very many people were running an external limiter anymore, because doing so can increase the chance of blurries, as P3D is running unlimited.

Are you 1080p or 4K?  I've found on 1080p I could get away with running unlimited on my hexacore cpu -- but with 4K, I can't do that.  Blurries abound if I do it.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Everything I've read from LM in their forum and from Rob Ainscough here, the external frame rate limiter offers no advantages and a few disadvantages.  For example, if you internally limit the frame rate to 24 fps then P3D will adjust the workload to give more time to creating frames than if it were unlimited.  This will result in less stuttering and higher low frame rates.  If the rate is limited externally then P3D still operates internally as it it were unlimited.

As for blurries at 4K, I only get them under normal conditions if my HT is turned on.  LM recommended in their forum that HT be turned off because they need all of core 0 you can give them.  If you use HT then you decrease the capacity of core 0 because the physical core is shared with core 1.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

4 hours ago, downscc said:

If you use HT then you decrease the capacity of core 0 because the physical core is shared with core 1.

Easy avoidable with the right Affinitymask setting, no need to castrate your CPU.

But yes, if you have an 8-core CPU you have deactivate HT.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

3 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Easy avoidable with the right Affinitymask setting, no need to castrate your CPU.

But yes, if you have an 8-core CPU you have deactivate HT.

Yes... LM does acknowledge that one may use affinity mask in cases for example with other applications running with P3D... but for the average user there is no need for either HT or AF.

Dan Downs KCRP

32 minutes ago, downscc said:

Yes... LM does acknowledge that one may use affinity mask in cases for example with other applications running with P3D... but for the average user there is no need for either HT or AF.

If you have a quad core CPU, HT + Affinity Mask actually does provide benefits.  Maybe a hexa core+ does not benefit..

Personally, on a 4770K, I fly with HT on , and AffinityMask=253.

Bert

6 hours ago, Mace said:

The NI limiter is a little finicky.  But the bigger question I have is, why are you using an external limiter with P3D 4.3?

I didn't think very many people were running an external limiter anymore, because doing so can increase the chance of blurries, as P3D is running unlimited.

Are you 1080p or 4K?  I've found on 1080p I could get away with running unlimited on my hexacore cpu -- but with 4K, I can't do that.  Blurries abound if I do it.

My best results are as follows. I run 4k.

NVidia Inspector limited to 30 FPS (gives me smoothness provided the FPS is at 30+). Internal FPS locked at 35 FPS (prevents autogen lacking and/or showing up late, and probably my CPU is powerful enough not to allow textures issues, but the previous one was not).

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

With my hex core cpu with 4K -- my best results so far are with HT=on, internal framelock of 31, and refresh at 30mhz.

With my hex core cpu and 1080p -- my best results were HT=off, unlimited frames, (refresh was at 60mhz)

At 4K, my hexcore setup seems to *need* those virtual cpu's to keep up with texture loading.  It was bad...really bad when I tried to keep my HT=off scheme I had been running with 1080p.  I outran my own textures with a Cessna 310.  It's been a little more tweaking and change than I expected -- moving to 4K. 

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

OK, thanks for all the replies guys.

I used to run unlimited, vsync on, HT enabled, AM=213, AS and P2ATC via bat files on the last four cores. I've run this setup for quite some time with smooth operation under almost all conditions with small jets.

Then I bought the Flysimware Falcon which I just love. What an aircraft. 

Immediately ran into problems running the Falcon with the setup described above. Stutters, jumps, clicks oh my. Need to fix this as I'm not giving this bird up.

After a couple of hours of testing and observation, the key setup for a perfectly smooth flight with this aircraft was unlimited, no vsync, HT off and frames externally limited to 30. Perfect.

I tried DXtory, EVGA PrecisionX frame rate limiter (which I run to manage my fans), didn't try RivaTuner (yet) and nVidia Inspector which works about half the time.

So there ya have it, which brings me back to my original question :>)

Happy Thanksgiving,

Mark

1 hour ago, newtie said:

OK, thanks for all the replies guys.

I used to run unlimited, vsync on, HT enabled, AM=213, AS and P2ATC via bat files on the last four cores. I've run this setup for quite some time with smooth operation under almost all conditions with small jets.

Then I bought the Flysimware Falcon which I just love. What an aircraft. 

Immediately ran into problems running the Falcon with the setup described above. Stutters, jumps, clicks oh my. Need to fix this as I'm not giving this bird up.

After a couple of hours of testing and observation, the key setup for a perfectly smooth flight with this aircraft was unlimited, no vsync, HT off and frames externally limited to 30. Perfect.

I tried DXtory, EVGA PrecisionX frame rate limiter (which I run to manage my fans), didn't try RivaTuner (yet) and nVidia Inspector which works about half the time.

So there ya have it, which brings me back to my original question :>)

Happy Thanksgiving,

Mark

What do you mean by working half of the time? Sometimes it will go further than 30 and stay there in the high's? It never happened to me, sometimes it goes below, of course, depending on the scenery, aircraft, clouds, etc, but higher than 30 not really (disregarding the frequent short spikes which I consider normal).

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

I use NI to cap the frames at 30 (HT off it that's relevant) and I observe a significant difference for the better when it comes to microstutters with FR capped.

Might not apply  to all, but it certainly makes a difference for me

• Upvote 1

I use RivaTuner to lock my frames. I've yet to figure out if it is beneficial or not. lol

- Aaron

2 hours ago, ha5mvo said:

I use NI to cap the frames at 30 (HT off it that's relevant) and I observe a significant difference for the better when it comes to microstutters with FR capped.

Might not apply  to all, but it certainly makes a difference for me

As I mentioned above regarding the Falcon, with my settings externally limited it's an exceptionally smooth ride...😉