Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

New PC (specs in sig) running P3D v4.3. With the aircraft at cruise I brought up the Task Manager and switched to the Performance tab. I expected to see the CPU running at it's maximum overclocked speed of 5.0Ghz. But it was only around 4.3Ghz. Why?

Is that utility a valid check of CPU speed or should I be using something else?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray

I think Task Manager doesn't show the overclocked speed. I use a utility called CPU ID (one of many available), which shows information about the CPU, including the actual overclocked speed.

My new PC confused me initially, as the speed shown in this utility jumped up and down. This was due to a resource saving function - when required - ie under load,  the CPU remains at its maximum overclocked speed.

There are other utilities which will show you CPU and GPU temperatures as well as speed - you can watch these as you fly low over detailed scenery!

Best regards

Mike

• Like 2

Ray,

I have a i5 6600K OC at 4.5GHz (All core) and Windows 10 Task Manager, CPU-Z and Core Temp all report it at 4.5GHz. May be there is something wrong with your overclock. Just a thought.

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

The CPU speed shown in the task manager does show the current speed including overclock but keep in mind as well that it's only showing one of the cores as they don't all overclock to the same frequency (common at least with newer Intel CPU's unless specifically set to do so in the bios).

• Like 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Thanks gents. Mike, I will install CPU-Z and see what it reports.

Normand, this is a professionally  built (and overclocked) PC. I’ll install CPU-Z first and see how it compares to the TM. Maybe they have set something in the BIOS.

More tomorrow.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Dave_YVR said:

The CPU speed shown in the task manager does show the current speed including overclock but keep in mind as well that it's only showing one of the cores as they don't all overclock to the same frequency (common at least with newer Intel CPU's unless specifically set to do so in the bios).

Ah, thanks. I suspect it’s taking an average of all virtual cores but if I recall correctly only 0 and 1 run at 5.0.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Is the CPU manually overclocked, or is it relying on Turbo to boost the speed?  Also, what are the system specs?

Edited by exeodus

Alan

22 minutes ago, exeodus said:

Is the CPU manually overclocked, or is it relying on Turbo to boost the speed?  Also, what are the system specs?

I’m guessing that it’s using Turbo. But I’m no expert which is why I bought from people who are. System specs in my sig.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

New PC (specs in sig) running P3D v4.3. With the aircraft at cruise I brought up the Task Manager and switched to the Performance tab. I expected to see the CPU running at it's maximum overclocked speed of 5.0Ghz. But it was only around 4.3Ghz. Why?

Is that utility a valid check of CPU speed or should I be using something else?

When you view in task manager, the percentage your CPU is running at is converted to the freq

Perhaps you meant to say, why is P3d not running at 100%?

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

New PC (specs in sig)

Fab, Ray. I'll be following in most respects, except the case.

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

But it was only around 4.3Ghz. Why?

Ray,

Can you be more specific when you say "around" 4.3 please. Is it stable @ 4.3 or fluctuating up and down?

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

53 minutes ago, kand said:

When you view in task manager, the percentage your CPU is running at is converted to the freq

Perhaps you meant to say, why is P3d not running at 100%?

Is it possible to see what % individual processes are running at?

Anyway, I believe Dave has given me the answer. Only the first two cores of the 8086K run at 5Ghz, the others run slower so the net result is something between 4 and 5.

Alex, the figure varied. Not constant.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

50 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Fab, Ray. I'll be following in most respects, except the case.

Rick, it’s a great case. Wot you going for?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

32 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Rick, it’s a great case. Wot you going for?

Going to use my already good case, the Antec Ninehundred Two.

• Like 1

Ray,

Even they OC the system to 5.0 and you show those fluctuations on CPU you still need  to change a few things to have the CPU not fluctuating ( especially if you chose to have higher settings in P3D). Those fluctuatings on CPU at higher settings will give you stutters  :

control panel

power options

select to high performance and click on "change plan settings"

click on change advanced power settings

expand processor power managment

check minimum processor state to 100%

check system cooling policy setting to active

maximum processor state setting to 100 %.

If all the above will give satisfactory results will stop here. If is still fluctuating we need to check what you have in BIOS, not complicating at all.

As you can notice I have almost the same system.

• Like 2

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090