Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’m guessing that it’s using Turbo. But I’m no expert which is why I bought from people who are. System specs in my sig.

Sorry, I was on the mobile site and it did not show your signature.  It sounds like they are relying on the stock Turbo to dynamically clock your CPU to 5.0 under light or single-threaded workloads.  The 8086k and 8700k both only run at 4.3 when 4 or more cores are heavily loaded.  I could tell you how to OC all cores to 5.0 but you would have to be comfortable going into your motherboards BIOS and changing some settings.

Alan

9 hours ago, killthespam said:

Ray,

Even they OC the system to 5.0 and you show those fluctuations on CPU you still need  to change a few things to have the CPU not fluctuating ( especially if you chose to have higher settings in P3D). Those fluctuatings on CPU at higher settings will give you stutters  :As you can notice I have almost the same system.

During a flight yesterday I was watching for stutters and there were none. Smooth as a baby's bottom.

I will check those settings but as I said yesterday the CPU fluctuation is almost certainly down to all virtual processors being clumped together and giving an average reading. Chillblast are a company with a high reputation and many awards so I would expect their PCs to be configured optimally.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 hours ago, exeodus said:

Sorry, I was on the mobile site and it did not show your signature.  It sounds like they are relying on the stock Turbo to dynamically clock your CPU to 5.0 under light or single-threaded workloads.  The 8086k and 8700k both only run at 4.3 when 4 or more cores are heavily loaded.  I could tell you how to OC all cores to 5.0 but you would have to be comfortable going into your motherboards BIOS and changing some settings.

That is not something I would be comfortable doing. I was told not to update the BIOS too as they have configured things with the current one. Performance is fine so I'm not unduly worried.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Sounds to me like they don’t have sync all cores turned on in the bios. That is step one for overclocking. It also sounds like nothing has been overclocked at all since that cpu defaults to 5ghz on a single core anyway. You sure these guys did any overclocking at all? Seems like a basic default bios config to me. 

Edited by J0nx

Asus X570 TUF WIFI | 5800X3D | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | MSI RTX 4090 | EVGA 1300W | ASUS GT501 TUF | Samsung C49RG90 49" | Oculus Quest 2 | Windows 11 Professional X64

With nothing but the OS running I took these screenshots of what CPU-Z is reporting. I'm reassured everything is fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzobdj2fyhoffcj/CPU-Z_Main.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bl466nx1nt7ccal/CPU-Z.png?dl=0

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Looks ace, Ray. Glad I too now got that CPU.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

System specs in my sig

I don't see any "sigs" here. Is that an option somewhere? I assume you have your new PC up and running. But P3D4? So no Concorde at present?

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

11 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

I don't see any "sigs" here. Is that an option somewhere? I assume you have your new PC up and running. But P3D4? So no Concorde at present?

Took me a while to find that option! Your account > account settings > signature.  There you can move the slider to view signatures.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Took me a while to find that option! Your account > account settings > signature.  There you can move the slider to view signatures

Ah, thanks! But my "account settings" has no entry called "signature" -- I had to also get a drop down called "settings area" viewed.

But there you have the facility to add your own signature (I don't have one), no slider, just a checkbox saying "View signatures?" above and "Show other people's signatures alongside their content" below. the checkbox is already on, but ... no signatures! Very strange.

Never mind. What I've never seen I won't miss.

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

24 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Pete

Hi Pete,

I see the sig option has been answered. I did wonder if it might be adblocker.

Yes, new PC up and running and some very impressive fps but I still have to add an Ai package - probably UT Live. Worst fps were at Schiphol (30fps) but I do have my settings pretty high.

I thought long and hard about when to upgrade but being able to sell my old computer for a decent price was key. I intend to install P3D v3.4 just for Concorde and copy my scenery.cfg over and amend the paths. Some addons will also need copying but I'll leave that for a few days whilst I tweak things and enjoy a few flights.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I see the sig option has been answered. I did wonder if it might be adblocker.

Could be I suppose. Or just that the Forum doesn't work well in Chrome.

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I still have to add an Ai package - probably UT Live

I use UTLive. Just updated the liveries from FLAi, using A!2UTL. Nof had a chance to look at any yet though.

I did go mad last weeked and tried PSXseeconTraffic, paying for one month of RealTraffic ($9.99).   There were pros (nice to see proper freight parked in the properr places at EGCC, and Ryanair etc more or less correct). And lots of traffic in flight. The cons outweighed this, though: arriving traffic did not park correctly and were often off the taxiways, as were departing aircraft. I assume the accuracy of the transponder signals being received isn't quite good enough (or being rounded by RealTraffic), or UK2000's placement is off. Though the latter wouldn't explain the parking being wrongly angled. And the frame rates were worse, and fluctuating like mad (that might be alleviated by running the EXEs on a Network, but they need Win10.

Sorry, off-topic.

Pete

Hi Pete,

The forum is okay on my iPad so I think it's just the your settings that needed changing.

There was another thread discussing UTL vs Traffic Global but the latter is still in development so you're buying a beta for only a small discount.

Lorby has something similar regarding live traffic but that too had downsides with Ai not always landing on the runway and then disappearing during the taxi in.

UT Live does seem to be the best package - almost a Hobson's Choice - and now that I know my i7-8086K is running fine I can get the credit card out - again. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I think it's just the your settings that needed changing.

Probably, but I don't see it. Next time you visit you can fix it for me! 😉

Pete

8 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Probably, but I don't see it. Next time you visit you can fix it for me! 😉

Pete

Add it to the list. :biggrin: Weather website too.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

49 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

There were pros (nice to see proper freight parked in the properr places at EGCC

Hi Pete, that's done by the sim ATC/AI, responding to codes in addon airports parking areas, matched to codes placed in the aircraft.cfg - it does not actually need an AI package by the way, just the P3D (or FSX) AI traffic running and normal traffic injection or from the regular SImConnect side.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com