Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

...whilst I tweak things and enjoy a few flights.

Hi Ray,

No need to allow the CPU to run at max now with that rig. While trying those settings and adjustments bear in mind how the CPU maximum throughput is managed by the Display Setting: VSync in P3D (steers the GPU output to the Monitor Refresh frequency - not to be confused with monitor vertical sync):

http://www.codelegend.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=698

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Awesome setup there Ray. I almost bought that case a couple of weeks ago, but then my PSU and motherboard 'died', so different priorities took over:-(

Tell me, was it you I met at Cosford a few years ago demoing the the Concorde?  If it was, I blame you for the cost of yet another addon:-)

36 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Hi Ray,

No need to allow the CPU to run at max now with that rig. While trying those settings and adjustments bear in mind how the CPU maximum throughput is managed by the Display Setting: VSync in P3D (steers the GPU output to the Monitor Refresh frequency - not to be confused with monitor vertical sync):

http://www.codelegend.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=698

Hi Steve,

In fact I had to turn VSync on yesterday and enable Triple Buffering to stop the screen flickering. It was really annoying. Found the fix by googling the problem.

Funny how I never needed that in P3D v3 Windows 7 with a 1080 card. I blame Windows 10! :biggrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

16 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Awesome setup there Ray. I almost bought that case a couple of weeks ago, but then my PSU and motherboard 'died', so different priorities took over:-(

Tell me, was it you I met at Cosford a few years ago demoing the the Concorde?  If it was, I blame you for the cost of yet another addon:-)

Thanks Phil. I saw your post. Good luck sorting it. I could never trust myself with overclocking which is why I've bought my last 2 PCs instead of building them myself.

Yes, guilty as charged. The NWFSG got a bit more space at Cosford back then. Only 2 rigs allowed now and given it ties you to the stand all day I decided once was enough. Hope you've mastered the wonderful bird. Expect a 64-bit version next year.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

Hi Pete, that's done by the sim ATC/AI, responding to codes in addon airports parking areas, matched to codes placed in the aircraft.cfg - it does not actually need an AI package by the way, just the P3D (or FSX) AI traffic running and normal traffic injection or from the regular SImConnect side.

I know. But somehow AI packages I have tried -- MT6, GT and UTLive --seem to not park freight aircraft where they should be, if there ever are any such aircraft. With those packages I do see passenger aircraft at cargo stands.

I wonder if that is done because a lot of add-on airports seems to have all stands defined as "cargo". I'm sure they do it for a reason, but it does spoil the parking arrangements and so maybe that's why the AI package makers ignore that distinction.

I read that psxSeeconTraffic adjusts it's parking according to where the arriving RealTraffic aircraft actually park. it seems to start off generating traffic at stands to make it look normal, but over time they will be replaced by arriving flights.

It's all a nice idea, but i fear it doesn't seem to work well with the position differences between the RealTraffic coordinates and those of the add-on airports.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

6 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

I wonder if that is done because a lot of add-on airports seems to have all stands defined as "cargo". I'm sure they do it for a reason, but it does spoil the parking arrangements and so maybe that's why the AI package makers ignore that distinction.

As far as I know, they (some developers) designate positions as CARGO PARKING to get rid of the default FSX/P3D ground vehicles, which are placed at gate positions. 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

10 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Is that correct 5Ghz at 0.70 Volts?  My 8700K is at 4.8 with 1.32 volts.  Seems very low voltage for the speed but maybe that is normal for this chip.

Mark,

That was with the PC at idle. Running P3D now and it reports 1.312v but it does vary. Down to 1.08v on occasions.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I know. 

Yes, I'm not surprised I was sure you're well acquainted with that! But it is a point that some reading the forums might not realise. UTL is pretty good for the price  regarding schedules and gets current routing and weather conditions.

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Steve,

In fact I had to turn VSync on yesterday and enable Triple Buffering to stop the screen flickering. It was really annoying. Found the fix by googling the problem.

Funny how I never needed that in P3D v3 Windows 7 with a 1080 card. I blame Windows 10! :biggrin:

That's right it's not a hardware thing.

Found the fix by googling the problem.

...by the way, it's not a fix to a problem...just in case you don't realise - you should be using VSync or locked fps anyway, no VSync or limit is not the correct way to operate P3D - it's OK for test and profiling purposes. Make  sure you didn't just gloss over that link because it's important to understand how to profile the simulation correctly.

4 minutes ago, SteveW said:

UTL is pretty good for the price  regarding schedules and gets current routing and weather conditions.

Yes, I agree, and it was pretty cheap anyway upgrading from UT.

But I've just had one of those crashes where P3D4 just disappears, no crash reports, nothing in Event Viewer. The only recent change was getting AI2UTL to update my liveries from an FSAi download. 

I've no idea how to find which aircraft is to blame, if indeed it was this change, but I'll try running a few more times (but not embarking on a flight to be possibly ruined). This crash was at EGLL at around 5 pm with a lot of aircraft. I do have the backup of my repaints.xml to fall back on if necessary; 😉

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Mark,

That was with the PC at idle. Running P3D now and it reports 1.312v but it does vary. Down to 1.08v on occasions.

OK makes much more sense now.  Enjoy the new computer Ray!!

• Upvote 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

...by the way, it's not a fix to a problem...just in case you don't realise - you should be using VSync or locked fps anyway, no VSync or limit is not the correct way to operate P3D - it's OK for test and profiling purposes. Make  sure you didn't just gloss over that link because it's important to understand how to profile the simulation correctly.

So where is the advice from L-M for this? I just used the same settings for this as I had with v3.4 / Windows 7 / 1080.

Is there i d i o t s guide somewhere for all this?

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Edited to reinstate a word AvSim remove even though it's not offensive

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

So where is the advice from L-M for this? I just used the same settings for this as I had with v3.4 / Windows 7 / 1080.

Is there i d i o t s guide somewhere for all this?

The thing about P3D is that it does not operate fullscreen in Exclusive Mode - it is a desktop window with no border and caption, it is a D3D11 viewport. That's the way they work.