Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

Pete is right. Some addon AI aircraft may be corrupt.

I had the same. No crashes but a framerate dropping over time...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I understand UT live is no longer being developed.

Edited by IanHarrison
Underline on.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

2 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Hi Ian,

While this unexpected revelation may be true, I’m sure that I’m not alone in wanting further details before arriving at a judgement. For example, where did you source this info and can you confirm the veracity of the content?

Regards,

Mike

2 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Wrong.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Just now, Cruachan said:

Hi Ian,

While this unexpected revelation may be true, I’m sure that I’m not alone in wanting further details before arriving at a judgement. For example, where did you source this info and can you confirm the veracity of the content?

Regards,

Mike

He can't because it is not true.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

14 minutes ago, pgde said:

He can't because it is not true.

That may be correct. However, until we have more detail from Ian or you can support your contra assertion then we all remain in a state of limbo. Lack of evidence does not make it true.

Mike

Unlike stated on codelegend forum P3Dv4 works much better with 11.11.11.01 affinity on a 4-core CPU.  😊

5 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

Unlike stated on codelegend forum P3Dv4 works much better with 11.11.11.01 affinity on a 4-core CPU.  😊

Anyone can tell you that's a typical AM as mentioned in my many posts and pages related to it. Only someone that doesn't understand would say something like that Dirk. Also your test method is not clear and the result of performance could be from any kind of set of factors - lol.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@SteveW, I appreciate your posts and your efforts to educate me on the finer points of getting the best out of P3D. I will look at your forum in slower time when things here have calmed down a bit. I've spent a lot of time on P3D in the last couple of weeks and my ability to absorb new information is just not there at the moment.

My priority is trying to solve the problem of why P3D crashes on first load but not on subsequent ones.

Cheers Ray, I understand. However, I still feel you may missed my point entirely in that by applying VSync you limited the CPU throughput giving you rise for concern that you no longer saw near 100%. Because you saw the flicker and found applying VSync stops that behaviour.

To your other concern - did P3D load OK every time before you made any adjustments or added in any stuff?

I know you're only on a wind up Dirk lol, but let's go over the rules:

Make sure the AM excludes one LP from the first core met by the app:

so 11,11,11,01 seems good with 01 on the right - check.

Use the rest of the LPs to limit them to what's needed.

OK well you're limited by the chip with only three more cores left so with a bigger CPU you might do that.

So where's the problem? I see none.

Edited by SteveW
  • Upvote 1

P3Dv4 works much better with 11.11.11.01 affinity on a 4-core CPU.

By the way - doesn't this say at least that the effort to check out the use of AMs was worth it? At least with that setup. it is possible that can be improved on but it would be on a per system basis. Otherwise that's typical of the recommendation I've been making from when multicore arrived.

• Upvote 1

Yes - pretty obviously this comment is very annoying - since you well know that almost single handedly I've been trying to champion this kind of understanding into the community. The AM's on the site don't represent the best or worst setting - they represent examples of setting. So I wouldn't mind if you retracted this statement.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Ian,

Regards,

Mike

As far as I know the project has not been terminated but sometimes things get in the way of continuous development cycles.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SteveW said:

Cheers Ray, I understand. However, I still feel you may missed my point entirely in that by applying VSync you limited the CPU throughput giving you rise for concern that you no longer saw near 100%. Because you saw the flicker and found applying VSync stops that behaviour.

To your other concern - did P3D load OK every time before you made any adjustments or added in any stuff?

I monitored CPU usage using CPU-Z and on all cores the max was around 4.4 or thereabouts. Are you saying that is throttled back with VSync enabled? I temporarily disabled VSync and Triple Buffering expecting CPU usage to rise but it didn't. Why? Turbo Boost is enabled in the BIOS so why didn't CPU speed rise to 5.0?

I wonder what will happen later this week when I swap my 1920*1080 display for a 3840*2160 one. I'm not expecting fps to remain around 60 (airborne) but I wonder how much they will change. The monitor (BenQ PD3200U) does have a 30Hz option so that could be helpful.

To answer that question it's hard to recall because I had such a horrendous time trying to get MyTraffic6 to run and it would cause P3D to crash before the free flight screen. But I did have GoFlight, FSUIPC5 and ChasePlane entries. Oh, plus the one AS16 adds. But that's it. Nothing else.

I removed all entries in DLL.XML and EXE.XML bar the default single entries and P3D loaded okay. I rebooted and added FSUIPC5 to  DLL.XML and P3D crashed before the free flight screen. So logically FSUIPC5 was the cause. But I know it isn't. I restored my original XML files and rebooted. Crash before free flight screen.

I waited for everything to close and launched it again. Free Flight screen shows fine and P3D runs fine. I'm struggling for a solution and for now just accept P3D will crash on first launch but thereafter will be fine.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

9 hours ago, SteveW said:

Anyone can tell you that's a typical AM as mentioned in my many posts and pages related to it. Only someone that doesn't understand would say something like that Dirk. Also your test method is not clear and the result of performance could be from any kind of set of factors - lol.

I'll try it then, sounds intriguing!! :biggrin:

Edited by Dirk98