Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

I’ve posted on Pete’s forum because as soon as I generated an entry for FSUIPC5 in DLL.XML P3D crashed. Absolutely frustrating. How can running one dll cause P3D to crash?

Depending on what Pete finds my next port of call is the L-M forum.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

Of course I wholeheartedly retract my statement! And I never meant it to be serious, as everybody around knows it was your (11.11.11.01) one of the best results and suggestions for a 4-Core HT systems running P3Dv4 and  became classic!

Cheers

Now that's what I like to hear - thank you too!

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Poppett recommended it be installed as an addon, not an entry in scenery.cfg

Ah, so you constructed the Addons.xml yourself, or used the Lorby-SI AddonManager?

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I installed the whole package. Is there an option to uninstall the client and reinstall the same version?

Yes, the Client should be listed separately in the Programs & Features app. And the Client .msi should be found in the package unipped from the L-M Download -- or if not you can download just the client separately. When you uninstall take the option to keep your registration.

I've often gone back and forth between versions when testing things and trying to isolate particular errors (during Beta testing).

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

’ve posted on Pete’s forum because as soon as I generated an entry for FSUIPC5 in DLL.XML P3D crashed. Absolutely frustrating. How can running one dll cause P3D to crash?

Strange. It never has been FSUIPC here, nor are there any unexplained or unsolved occurrences reported on my support forum.

In case it's some setting or other in FSUIPC try renaming your INI file so a default one is used.

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

13 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I temporarily disabled VSync and Triple Buffering expecting CPU usage to rise but it didn't. Why? 

If you had just looked at that link I gave you all would be clear on the VSync issues!

When switching on and off VSync, you might see no change, or you might see the fps drop and CPU drop. Why? Since VSync sort of limits the fps to the refresh frequency then if you are running past that frequency then it naturally drops to that frequency, cutting out excess lost frames = less work and heat, CPU drops throughput.

However, what you are describing is different, it is that with or without the VSync setting the CPU stays where it is. And so you simply have a flat line elsewhere since VSync makes no difference - does not mean the reason for VSync is invalid. You are only looking at systems on an individual basis and each is unique, especially in the FS arena.

Edited by SteveW

...so in effect Ray I must say that I would not want your system as it is, seems not to be working right.

11 minutes ago, SteveW said:

...so in effect Ray I must say that I would not want your system as it is, seems not to be working right.

If you can’t say anything helpful then it’s usually better to say nothing at all.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

your (11.11.11.01) one of the best results and suggestions for a 4-Core HT systems running P3Dv4 and  became classic!

The idea is Microsoft and Intel, but it's up to us to work out how to benefit from it.

HT causes too many complicated issues for systems and software so you simply can't assume that's going to be good for all systems. The ones you posted about from the site are all still perfectly valid depending on what addons and system in use. The main thing is you can't tell what's good or bad till you get the PC and check it out, I use custom software to see the inner workings of the system. I supply some of that facility in my popular FS addon.

3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If you can’t say anything helpful then it’s usually better to say nothing at all.

Everything I said IS helpful if you only checked it out.

25 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Ah, so you constructed the Addons.xml yourself, or used the Lorby-SI AddonManager?

Yes, the Client should be listed separately in the Programs & Features app. And the Client .msi should be found in the package unipped from the L-M Download -- or if not you can download just the client separately. When you uninstall take the option to keep your registration.

I've often gone back and forth between versions when testing things and trying to isolate particular errors (during Beta testing).

Strange. It never has been FSUIPC here, nor are there any unexplained or unsolved occurrences reported on my support forum.

In case it's some setting or other in FSUIPC try renaming your INI file so a default one is used.

Pete

Hi Pete,

The action of just checking the registrations of FSUIPC5 and WideServer created DLL.XML for me.

I’ll try uninstalling and reinstalling the client. Seems the most logical step at this point. I take it you’ve seen my post in your forum and it gives no clues?

I shall rename the ini first though. Simple things first eh?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, SteveW said:

Everything I said IS helpful if you only checked it out.

Your last comment certainly wasn’t.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Your last comment certainly wasn’t.

Why on earth would you say that?

I'll say it again - something's up with your system Ray - sorry if that upsets you but it does seem to be a system with odd behaviour. You should be able to creep up settings and see the CPU use more so i'm advising that it's not right - what's wrong with that?

8 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Why on earth would you say that?

I'll say it again - something's up with your system Ray - sorry if that upsets you but it does seem to be a system with odd behaviour. You should be able to creep up settings and see the CPU use more so i'm advising that it's not right - what's wrong with that?

The behaviour of the CPU is the least of my concerns at the moment Steve. I am trying to resolve the problem of P3D crashing when first launched. That is my number 1 priority at present.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Honestly I can't see it being FSUIPC, it must be as Pete says something it reads in is wrong. That's accounting for the problem you describe, but you should be able to limit the CPU with VSync, unless it's already limited in anther way.

With Win10 you get unclosed apps and certain functions restart up again after rebooting so something might be left running. Can you see anything unusual in Task Manager?

...a stock P3D does not behave like yours so I would walk up to the PC and reduce the system to stock and try restarting and so on, then move on from there.

Since now you know that at some stage in the install of addons it creates the crashing problem you can find that by adding one half of your addons. A screw-up in the xml and or the configs wouldn't usually create that crash next time behaviour but could start an errant process to cause it.