Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

34 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

"I don't think it is overclocked. It runs at its base 4.3 GHz normally, the 5 GHz is the built-in turbo boost, as per the spec of the 8086K. Pete"

I do hope Ray hasnt paid a super premium price for an overclocked PC that isnt actually overclocked?

Kevin. No I haven't. What an odd comment to make. Check Chillblast for their reputation.

Funny enough when the PC boots up and I check CPU core speeds several are running at 5.0Ghz with minimal load. And if you research the i7-8086K you'll see that it guarantees to run at 5.0Ghz.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, SteveW said:

I have been reading back from the start of the thread a few times and unfortunately somehow miss exactly where the WIndows update created the problem. Are you saying that before the WIn updates arrived, there was no dxdiag crash.

It's not fair and It's no good blaming MS and Windows... They simply provide a robust 'open' system for device manufacturers, users, and poor quality software to screw around with.

I have a hard time getting folk to try stuff that for example, that won't be a solution to that problem but is a necessary step in deduction and elimination. MS are the same they might need hands on to look into these things.

So much happened in a short time scale it's hard to pinpoint when the directinput problem started. The crashes of P3D when I had MyTraffic6 installed could in fact have been a DirectX issue.

I do blame Windows because this isn't new hardware. It worked fine in a Windows 7 PC for 5 years.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

Just a thought, if all these USB devices are going through a USB2 Hub into a USB 3 port - has that USB2 hub been eliminated from the enquiry by exchanging with a more recent one?

Where did I say that? I have 5 GoFlight units that plug into a powered USB hub. That plugs into a USB2 port on the PC. The Saitek yoke, CH pedals and keyboard/mouse plug into the other three USB2 ports.

The Saitek throttles plug into the Saitek Yoke.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

27 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Kevin. No I haven't. What an odd comment to make. Check Chillblast for their reputation.

Funny enough when the PC boots up and I check CPU core speeds several are running at 5.0Ghz with minimal load. And if you research the i7-8086K you'll see that it guarantees to run at 5.0Ghz.

Hi Ray, if you're happy then ok, but it sounded to me as though you've purchased an 'overclocked' machine that is actually running at stock speeds.  To me, that would be a clear case of misselling.

• Like 2

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

4 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Hi Ray, if you're happy then ok, but it sounded to me as though you've purchased an 'overclocked' machine that is actually running at stock speeds.  To me, that would be a clear case of misselling.

Sorrry Kevin but you are mistaken.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

37 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Sorrry Kevin but you are mistaken.

Good :) Would have hated to be right!

• Like 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

3 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

I do hope Ray hasnt paid a super premium price for an overclocked PC that isnt actually overclocked?

If it only engages Turboboost under load it's not an o/c solution I would accept for my flightsim station. It's rather a matter of changing just one register in BIOS and is not a professional o/c per se. I'm sorry, Ray.

16 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

If it only engages Turboboost under load it's not an o/c solution I would accept for my flightsim station. It's rather a matter of changing just one register in BIOS and is not a professional o/c per se. I'm sorry, Ray.

I'm not asking you to accept it. I'm stating what I chose and paid for with my money. The performance of P3D in UHD is excellent. That is all that matters to me. Not being obsesses with numbers. The attached image shows all cores running at 5.0GHz. I have nothing further to add.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oamm7jvkv4dgpuz/5000.png?dl=0

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Dirk98 said:

Hi Dirk,

From what I have understood from this thread I am quite sure that Chillblast have set up Ray’s PC to implement a Dynamic overclock which kicks in when it is needed. When his system is not under load then the CPU Core clock speeds will drop to an idle state mirrored by a corresponding fall in vCore voltage values and core temperatures. As a balanced solution this makes perfect sense and is exactly how my rig is configured to behave. 

Have you monitored your GPU activity lately? If so, then you will note that it switches to P0 state (max power) while Prepar3D is running and drops back to P8 (idle) after exiting the sim to resume undemanding desktop operations. Again this is reflected in core frequency and temperatures.

The switch to a maximum power/overclocked state occurs almost instantaneously and this transition is very efficient in terms of energy consumption/savings, especially when the system is idling and left unattended for prolonged periods.

As you see from my signature all 8 cores of my 5960X are Dynamically overclocked to 4.6GHz. Under maximum load temps rise to peak around 50-60C whereas at idle they fall to sub 30C. Good for preserving the life of the CPU, good for your pocket and the performance is always there when required.

Yes, many will state they prefer a Static overclock which runs the Processor constantly at its maximum stable frequency, and they will argue that avoidance of wildly varying temps will help to ensure core longevity. That’s their choice, but I very much doubt that that argument holds true these days. Maintaining a constant higher vCore will, in time, lead to what I believe is called ‘voltage degradation’ of the processor. This may not be important if their pockets are deep and frequent changes of the CPU are the norm.

For the rest of us, it seems to me that the Dynamic overclock solution is the sensible, practical and balanced approach.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MIke,

Very good post and I agree completely with your views. To those who want a constant overclock irrespective of what they are doing on their PCs I'd just say this.

• Do you need max power when browsing the web?
  • Do you need max power when viewing photos?
  • Do you need max power when writing an email?

I could go on but I think (and hope) you get my point. Max power when it's needed and ONLY when it's needed. Turbo Boost is the intelligent solution to overclocking. Basic overclocking is crude and will diminish the life of your CPU.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 12/3/2018 at 11:33 AM, kevinfirth said:

My P3D/XP11/DCS/BMS main station is used only for flightsimming. I conducted extensive tests with dynamic O/C following a couple of well-known o/c forums some time ago and came to the conclusion that dynamic o/c never worked good with my flightsims, particularly with MSFS line and its derivatives causing stutters, slow downs and some other problems. I know where exactly kevinfirth came from with his question about non-actually-overclocked professional system running Turboboost... I'm leaving it at where it is, particularly as Ray is very happy with his new system and it runs very well sans only a small glitch launching P3D. 

Edited by Dirk98
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, simbol said:

OP is happy time to lock this one 🙂

Why ? This thread is very informative, I have the exact same system as Ray, and I never knew about my 8086 and the dynamic o/c, which would suit me.

All I have to do is learn how to do it 🙂

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I suspect some of the confusion arises from assuming the terms ‘Turbo-Boost’ and ‘Dynamic’ are interchangeable. Perhaps they are although there are distinctions between the two.

First, some background:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost

Examine the specs of most modern Intel processors. Included there will be entries for the Processor Base Frequency and Maximum Turbo Frequency. Take my i7-5960X, for example:

https://ark.intel.com/products/82930/Intel-Core-i7-5960X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-20M-Cache-up-to-3-50-GHz-

So, if I relied on Turbo-Boost during Periods of high load I could only expect the clock frequency to rise from 3.0GHz to 3.5GHz. In fact, my Processor’s clock frequency, on ALL cores, rises to 4.6GHz when the occasion (like running Prepar3D) demands. This represents a rise of 53% above the Base clock frequency. So how was this achieved? Appropriate adjustments were made in the system UEFI BIOS.

Those that favour a Static overclock will spend hours tweaking frequencies and voltages to achieve a stable overclock that will be maintained unwaveringly and irrespective of changing demands while the system is up and running. 

My stable and effective overclock was achieved with significantly less effort. DIP5 (Dual Intelligent Processors), a component module of ASUS AI Suite 3. Now, while it may not take the process as far as the assiduous and determined overclocker whose sole objective is to achieve the highest stable cpu clock frequency possible, it does establish a clock frequency well above the default turbo-boost frequency which can be relied upon to be safe and stable under virtually all circumstances. This assumes, of course that an effective cpu cooling solution is in place.

All the necessary changes were made in the system BIOS by DIP5 including enabling memory XMP. The clock frequency was raised in increments and tested for stability before proceeding on to the next step. This continues until the limit is exceeded and the system crashes. The system then reboots and the cpu frequency is dropped to the last stable value. This is an automatic process which lasts approximately 15mins and requires no user interventions.

The ASUS DIP5 utility is designed for folk like me that simply want a safe and stable overclock. This with minimal effort, can be relied upon and, like Turbo-Boost, will kick in as and when required.

Challenging the overclock is achieved easily by the end user by running stuff like RealBench and Prepar3D for extended periods while monitoring core temps.

I can only speculate as to how Chillblast achieved the Dynamic overclock on Ray’s new PC. I imagine years of experience allows them to dial in optimal safe settings quite quickly and then would follow a series of automated tests to check for stability.

BTW, it’s worth noting that the clock frequency of my 5960X rises immediately to 4.6GHz soon after the sim has started. The frequency is maintained throughout, irrespective of the length of the session, and falls back to an idle frequency of <2GHz when Prepar3D is exited and there is a return to desktop operations. I have configured Prepar3D for maximum performance in NCP and Process Lasso. Not sure how much these  settings have a bearing on Dynamic changes of GPU and CPU frequency. It works and that’s all that really matters!

Mike

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

MIke,

Very good post and I agree completely with your views. To those who want a constant overclock irrespective of what they are doing on their PCs I'd just say this.

• Do you need max power when browsing the web?
  • Do you need max power when viewing photos?
  • Do you need max power when writing an email?

I could go on but I think (and hope) you get my point. Max power when it's needed and ONLY when it's needed. Turbo Boost is the intelligent solution to overclocking. Basic overclocking is crude and will diminish the life of your CPU.

You can also run on constant 5.0 GHz and still have low power usage when not under load 😉

Clock speed itself says nothing. 5.0 GHz and no load will result in minimal temperatures. Also lower voltages/clock speed when idling will not make a big difference in overall power usage. I tried all this stuff.

I also run overclocked on all cores, but I can switch on/off throttling back to lower speeds/voltage. I am measuring the power usage on the wall. And the difference when idling between idling @ 5 GHz and idling @800 MhZ is almost not there.

Edited by swiesma
  • Like 2