Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

The CH software installs a couple of drivers Ray. As I mentioned they are easy to remove.

The reason for the problem on Ray's system is not entirely clear unfortunately.

The reason why the problem still exists is obvious. Ray has no understanding of the problem solving techniques suggested, battles and argues remorselessly with all comers and tries hard to mis-understand them and then might juggle with the semantics of their posts, including his friends, to make those attempting to help him look foolish.

The reason I continue with the thread is that the purpose is to find the cure for the problem in case another gets it happen to them.

By the looks of it that's unlikely in this case. The OP (Ray) is most likely the cause of his own woes through some oddness of settings or installing or simply mis-understanding his friends recommendations for the setup and install. None are here now. He didn't want to take the professional advise with the software installing but insisted on pro built kit. If he thinks because I meant him do something I like because I thought of it he'd be wrong again. I only recommend MS and LM rules.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I'm finding the thread interesting, and I'd like to find out what the problem and resolution is.

@SteveW can I suggest that if there's a test process that you think has value, can you clearly explain what the value is for those of us who might not immediately see the relevance?

@RayProudfoot From personal experience I know Steve really knows what he's talking about, even if I struggle to get it all the time... I'd really like to yndertand what the root cause of your problem is... 

• Like 3

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

32 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

I'm finding the thread interesting, and I'd like to find out what the problem and resolution is.

@RayProudfoot From personal experience I know Steve really knows what he's talking about, even if I struggle to get it all the time... I'd really like to yndertand what the root cause of your problem is...

Kevin, the problem has defeated me and Microsoft as they provided 3 actions to take including a reinstall of W10 (without removing user data). None worked. They haven't replied since suggesting they are out of ideas.

I downloaded the CH software and instead of adding it to my startup group just executed program mentioned where it resided in my system tray. I don't like being told to do something without the reasons for it not being explained. Needless to say after running it and then running dxdiag the latter failed on first run but was okay on the second. If it continually failed I would consider more serious actions including raising a ticket with Chillblast. But my workaround is 100% successful.

It's the fact that dxdiag runs okay on a second run that totally confuses me.

Regarding the CH software the readme refers to Win 7 and no mention of Win 10. The readme is dated October 2012 and the executables 2013. Nothing in there for Win 10.

I've had the GoFlight modules for 15 years; the Saitek yoke for 11 and the two throttle quadrants are this year, replacing the originals with bad pots. All this kit worked perfectly well in Windows 7 and P3D v3 and FSX for 5 years on my previous PC.

The only things that have changed are the mobo and OS. I'm excluding P3D because the integrity of the system is checked via dxdiag. Whatever flight sim is used is not a factor.

I've been using PCs snce 1992 and have built many of my own. So I'm no slouch when it comes to resolving problems but this one has me foxed.

After installing the CH software it prompted for a reboot. I did that and then ran dxdiag. It ran successfully. I rebooted and ran it again. It failed. That's why it's such a frustrating problem. I still believe it's a problem with the OS.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Having conducted several tests with and without various USB devices attached I think I've found the culprit(s).

With just keyboard/mouse and GoFlight devices attached dxdiag runs fine.

But if ANY Saitek/Logitech or CH devices are attached - even just pedals in the case of CH, or a single Logitech / Saitek throttle are attached dxdiag crashes on its first run.

Shut down, remove those devices and dxdiag runs fine. That has been tested on several reboots.

I then did some searching and came across this article on the Logitech FAQ section for their Throttle Quadrants...

Maybe, just maybe it's broken again. CH doesn't have anything for this in their FAQ section so I'm going to email them with details of the problem. I need to register with Logitech to do the same with their kit.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

CH doesn't have anything for this in their FAQ section

Hi Ray, i'm using the ch yoke and pedals in w10 (1809) without any problems. that's with Prepar3D ver 4.4

bob

4 minutes ago, onebob said:

Hi Ray, i'm using the ch yoke and pedals in w10 (1809) without any problems. that's with Prepar3D ver 4.4

bob

I'm sure many people don't have the problem Bob. We all have different hardware so it may be a combination of that causing the problem. Do you have GoFlight modules?

I suspect it's a timing thing because dxdiag always runs okay the second time.

Also this is from Microsoft. Note it MAY only affect SOME users so not everyone will be affected. That was for the Saitek/Logitech throttle quadrant of course.

"After installing the February 13, 2018 security update, KB4074588 (OS Build 16299.248), some USB devices and onboard devices, such as a built-in laptop camera, keyboard or mouse, may stop working for some users."

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm sure many people don't have the problem Bob. We all have different hardware so it may be a combination of that causing the problem. Do you have GoFlight modules?

No GoFlight Modules Ray. Been following your post, However just looked at device manager and didn't see any mention of the ch devices, odd. ( only a ? against multifunction devices)

thought I just post to show with only the ch devices there's not a problem.

bob

Edited by onebob

Thanks Bob. I couldn’t find a CH entry either. The possible causes could be a suspect USB port but I’ve excluded that by using several different ones.

Could be the mobo I suppose but then why would everything be seen in Devices and Printers if there was a connection issue?

That leaves the OS and given there was a problem back in the spring with 10 that remains my chief suspect. If it was just the Saitek drivers why would CH be affected too? I really do think it’s the OS.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

I couldn’t find a CH entry either

Your not by any chance running the ch devices with the ch manager. if so you could uninstall it.

bob

4 minutes ago, onebob said:

Your not by any chance running the ch devices with the ch manager. if so you could uninstall it.

bob

I installed it this morning but the CH Manager executable isn’t running. I installed it just so I could rule it out as being responsible.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

@SteveW can I suggest that if there's a test process that you think has value, can you clearly explain what the value is for those of us who might not immediately see the relevance?

It's better to get the user to try something without trying to explain the reasons - few understand the logical process of elimination since few really understand what's happening there under the hood. A Second session clear is not an uncommon problem since the Windows system is a shared resource.. The CH does something a little different so it's a valid cross check. And proves if the problem is related only to the software already on there. Could not be more simple -  a five minute cross check took me less time to try myself than it took the OP to argue about with no knowledge of the system.

14 hours ago, SteveW said:

..i'm thinking Ray will revisit this at some stage, so it's handy to know that there's another way to test it out.

The thing I would probably do is confirm the basic package causing the error, maybe just two items plugged right into the PC. I would remove all the controller software and devices clean. I would power up the PC clean no devices plugged in, a couple of times. I would set up the alternative software. I would then step through the install of goflight and so on .

in this post I clearly explain how to cross check with a similar device driver setup...

What's probably happened is that the systems was setting up when the OP installed something else concerned with that. For example, plugging in devices ahead of time. Forcing installers into admin so they don't know the user is just a user can alter the behaviour of device drivers. This can also be screwed up when Windows is reconfiguring after the updates. So it appears to be a fault of rushing the installation or not adhering to the MS rules.

Edited by SteveW

Assuming that software that worked on Win7 will work on 10 is a mistake. Moving to Win10 (Win8) is a big change in hardware availability and capability. Lots of software back then was not build properly to handle all the caveats, some might only be working on a wing and a prayer.

Assuming that old hardware will work on a new system because it worked on a Win7 system without concern is a mistake.

Assuming that software will work simply because another user uses it is a mistake.

Assumption is the first point of failure.

Edited by SteveW

The CH item I described to put in the startup group might have another value in this case - it might save the dxdiag crashing the first process, it also will not run during startup of the system after boot in certain circumstances. So it''s a possibility this can convey something to me.

It's all guesswork because as can be seen there's no hard and fast idea of what exactly the error package is because the OP has altered his opinion of what he thinks is the basic error package several times. I have to assume that it is still an unknown. I would walk up to this PC and know more than I do now in 5 minutes.

Edited by SteveW