Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

I have personal software I build myself, not from .NET and C++ libs, that can look at the system and determine what happens under the hood entirely. And so on another thread a P3D user discovers that P3D can no longer read the available aircraft. The software I provide, Ideal Flight, continues to work and describes all the aircraft on this malformed system. This is because that addon is built to a specification, and throughout, uses more sophisticated methods to ensure success. That can only be achieved with deep understanding of the system and P3D. An addon working better than P3D rather than messing P3D around, could be a first on AVSIM

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Some might see that I use problem solving terminology: 'Error Package'.

What do I mean by that. This is the minimum system to reproduce the error. That must be established first. Trouble is, problem solving on fully configured FS systems with lots of joysticks and addons and paraphernalia all added in can be like picking through a dog's dinner. Making peeling it back to the working system can be more time consuming than a re-install.

I have decided on a strategy. I shall log the problem with Chillblast just in case it’s a problem with the motherboard. That will safeguard my warranty. But given I never have any problems when flying that seems a remote possibility.

I will live with the issue until P3D v5 is released. It’s a simple fix after all. At that point I will uninstall v4 and reinstall a clean copy of Windows 10.

Once that is finished I will add my hardware one device at a time testing it with dxdiag. If there are problems when I do that I’ll consider my options.

If there aren’t any then it’s problem solved and I just need to install P3D v5 plus associated software. The PC is only used for flight sim.

There’s a good chance I’ll be getting a new yoke and pedals in the next few months anyway. Probably new throttle quadrant too. Having two Logitech USB quadrants does cause issues in P3D as they have to be plugged into the same sockets otherwise they swap IDs as far as FSUIPC5 is concerned.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

..you're absolutely correct to not suspect the hardware Ray, none the less, a good idea to log the possibility with the supplier for their record. There's no indication for me in your posts that suggests your PC hardware is a problem. An ntdll.dll error basically tells you that some software does not get to talk to some other software in a timely manner. There's always a possibility that hardware can cause that but it would come with other obvious problems.

• Like 1

Steve, glad you agree with my strategy. I’ve given it quite a bit of thought and can’t think of a better alternative.

I had a reply from CH and they said their hardware needs no special drivers, just the standard HID ones supplied by Microsoft. That’s why there’s no option to uninstall the driver supporting their hardware.

Onward and upward.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Sure thing Ray, seems good. That's right about the CH item I mentioned to try in the startup in fact accesses those, that is of course what I was saying.

...by the way. Most engineers will say Driver and mean several different things, because folk know what a driver is - it is what they have to download and it updates something. When we install a joystick or any USB device it might install it's own driver or it might invoke the MS one - it's still a driver. However it might also install associated drivers, that you might not think of as drivers in your terms because it's not the thing you download. The thing was - not to worry about whether it's a driver or a program or whatever it is - the thing was to realise that the cross check with that could throw some clues into the foreground. Onward and upward.

Edited by SteveW

Thank you Steve and Ray for working this issue. I learned a lot in this thread.

• Like 2

Hans Soule

For Kevin's sake i'll explain a little more about that....

The CH installation, I didn't know if Ray had put it on from the CD included in the CH Pedals box. He may have. If not then there was a fresh trial of the system to be had with that. The CH installation creates device drivers (not supplied by MS) for the CHManager to implement virtual inputs like keystroke combinations. That would have tested out a large amount of stuff. The item in the startup group can't run on those under certain circumstances during the bootup which could have indicated to me that the system is held up in some aspect. So you  can see a very wide area can be covered in a few minutes testing, and it's easy to remove as I said.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I couldn't install from a CD as the pedals were bought around 15 years ago plus the PC has no DVD drive. I downloaded the software from the CH site. Maybe with a yoke more things could have been tested but with pedals we're talking 3 axes. Those axes worked fine in the standard Game Controller utility in Control Panel.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 12/7/2018 at 1:52 AM, SteveW said:

..you're absolutely correct to not suspect the hardware Ray

Unless Ray ventures to tinker with his BIOS settings around some default values you've made a very very moot assumption, Steve.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Unless Ray ventures to tinker with his BIOS settings around some default values you've made a very very moot assumption, Steve.

I made it very clear in earlier posts to check it through, as you did Dirk - my words were 'put it to bed'. It is and was with reservations, that I agree with Ray on the hardware. There's been no BSODs. But you are correct, booting up twice with a different result is a possible clue something is wrong there.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 1

...However, booting into Windows twice with a different result is more or less what happens anyway. So we must be careful. What instead we could be seeing is the order of systems functionality arriving. This could cause a lot of problems if one driver is held up for a logged on user rather than one of the system admins - not real people just processes that run as..

There are more and more red flags appear in this thread that are pointing to a hardware problem if you ask my 5 cents.