Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

10 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

There are more and more red flags appear in this thread that are pointing to a hardware problem if you ask my 5 cents.

Which hardware? And how can it be proved beyond any doubt that hardware x is the issue?

I’m about to hit the sack but I’ll leave you all to mull over this. I noticed a folder named windows.old on my C drive which I suspect is the OS prior to the big update I did to 1809.

These disappear after 30 days apparently so I’ve just performed a disk backup containing C.

Is it possible to roll back to the previous version utilising Windows.old and if so how is it done?

I would need to switch back to the current state if running dxdiag on that earlier build didn’t work.

Something for you to chew over. I’ll pick up replies in the morning.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Which hardware? And how can it be proved beyond any doubt that hardware x is the issue?

No savings account in the bank can prove 100% of your savings, so don't ask about your hardware adversity and expect anything fixed in exchange from me.

I’m about to hit the sack but I’ll leave you all to mull over this. I noticed a folder named windows.old on my C drive which I suspect is the OS prior to the big update I did to 1809.

That one is really easy - just Disk Cleanup it!

Is it possible to roll back to the previous version utilising Windows.old and if so how is it done?

Not sure, most probably - yes, but always try using your Acronis  O/S saves instead and in the first place. You may ask me more about Acronis if you will.

Edited by Dirk98

Well, I would try switching BIOS to default first. Then, if it didn't work, a complete uninstall of P3D and derivatives, then reinstall of P3D might be helpful. If didn't work again - a complete reinstall of OS and P3D then. 

Edited by Dirk98

7 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

Well, I would try switching BIOS to default first. Then, if it didn't work, a complete uninstall of P3D and derivatives, then reinstall of P3D might be helpful. If didn't work again - a complete reinstall of OS and P3D then. 

Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick to my original plan.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You might save a lot of time for yourself just doing #1 (setting BIOS to less ambitious values towards the default ones). Name your mobo (I know you mentioned it somewhere above) and I'll tell you how exactly to save your current settings, no matter how they frighten you into not doing that.

8 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

.. but always try using your Acronis  O/S saves instead and in the first place. You may ask me more about Acronis if you will.

I don’t use Acronis. Aomei is my preferred utility.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, you're a very experienced flight simmer, I'm really surprised how you haven't turned your BIOS and hardware inside out yet with this problem. Seriously. 

Edited by Dirk98

I for one start pulling RAM sticks out one by one when I see some really weird behavior like in your case.  :biggrin:

Edited by Dirk98

2 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

Name your mobo (I know you mentioned it somewhere above) and I'll tell you how exactly to save your current settings, no matter how they frighten you into not doing that.

Hi Dirk,

A bit strong as well as inaccurate, don’t you think? We know you mean well and are only trying to be helpful, but making statements like that are bound to irritate. Ray’s MoBo is in his signature and he has the user manual. In any case, Ray has made his position very clear and we should be respecting that. Are you aware of the conditions described in the 3 year warranty provided by Chillblast? If Ray starts meddling needlessly and then has to return to Chillblast cap-in-hand I doubt whether they would show much sympathy and it’s likely this would be reflected in the bill for their work and time spent restoring the status quo.

I doubt very much that Ray’s issues have anything to do with his core PC build. Nor do I suspect a system memory fault as he has stated repeatedly that Prepar3D runs fine for extended periods once the initial hurdle has been circumvented using his simple workaround.

Recommending a reinstall of the operating system has a familiar ring to it and is a complete turnoff as far as I am concerned. Never mind the effort invested into creating what could be quite a complex installation, such an action is not only being very generous with someone else’s time, but undermines their ability to troubleshoot an issue. Contrary to what many believe, such advice is usually completely irrelevant and unnecessary and should only ever be used as a last resort. Can’t recall the last time I was forced down that route. 

Regards,

Mike

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Dirk,

A bit strong as well as inaccurate, don’t you think?

Of course!! :biggrin:

Thanks.

PS: how about shuffling those boards in the box though? ))

Edited by Dirk98

I'm not trolling, God forbid, just thinking that Ray's case requires a more decisive approach (pun not intended). And there's nothing to fear of in BIOS.

Edited by Dirk98

1 hour ago, Dirk98 said:

Ray, you're a very experienced flight simmer, I'm really surprised how you haven't turned your BIOS and hardware inside out yet with this problem. Seriously. 

I have found with experience it's very rare that problems are solved with changes to the BIOS especially with professionally built machines. There's a reason these companies win awards. It's because they know what they're doing. I had a BSOD problem with my Scan PC five years ago running FSX. Turns out it was a problem in the system and Microsoft supplied a fix for it. Nothing to do with the BIOS. Registrychange plus a modified DLL I would imagine.

Looking at your profile it tells me nothing about you. You could be a 20 year-old kid who thinks he knows everything but knows very little or you could be someone with 20 years experience with a degree. You might think about modifying your profile if you feel AvSim users would like to know more about you. Anyone can suggest reinstalling everything. It's the sledgehammer / nut solution.

Mike has summed up my feelings in an excellent post. For you to even suggest reinstalling P3D and the OS is ridiculous given I have already run the Media Creation Tool supplied by Microsoft and that didn't fix it either.

I have no interest in changing things in the BIOS because if there was a problem do you not think it would have manifested itself when running P3D? I've had around half a dizen flights now and P3D has behaved impeccably.

Can you fly Concorde and manage the fuel manually? Probably not because although you may have the intelligence to learn it you don't have the interest. Same applies to me with the BIOS. In 25 years of running PCs I cannot recall a time when a wrong BIOS setting caused issues in flight sim and that includes several self-builds.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Same applies to me with the BIOS. In 25 years of running PCs I cannot recall a time when a wrong BIOS setting caused issues in flight sim and that includes several self-builds.

Happened to me  too many times due to o/c-locks, some unexplainable RAM incompatibility, BIOS drivers, you name it, etc.. The most weird and difficult problems occurred to some reason around running MSFS, P3D, BMS, DCS, WOFF totally ignoring different payware benchmarks as if scoffing at me.

27 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Looking at your profile it tells me nothing about you.

And be it so, I don't really like profiling, Ray.

Edited by Dirk98

22 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Happened to me  too many times due to o/c-locks, some unexplainable RAM incompatibility, BIOS drivers, you name it, etc.. The most weird and difficult problems occurred to some reason around running MSFS, P3D, BMS, DCS, WOFF totally ignoring different payware benchmarks as if scoffing at me.

Self-overclocking? I took a lot of time to select my components including memory and Chillblast expressed no concerns. I’ll repeat the quote by Clint in Dirty Harry. “A man’s got to know his limitations.”. I know mine which is why you won’t get me near the BIOS except to look.

7 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

And be it so, I don't really like profiling, Ray.

Not even the country you live in?

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather