Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

25 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Self-overclocking? I took a lot of time to select my components including memory and Chillblast expressed no concerns. I’ll repeat the quote by Clint in Dirty Harry. “A man’s got to know his limitations.”. I know mine which is why you won’t get me near the BIOS except to look.

Ok, ok, just positive vibes to you and your box.

I know you'll solve this enigma sometime.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

Happened to me  too many times due to o/c-locks, some unexplainable RAM incompatibility, BIOS drivers, you name it, etc.. The most weird and difficult problems occurred to some reason around running MSFS, P3D, BMS, DCS, WOFF totally ignoring different payware benchmarks as if scoffing at me.

Hi Dirk,

Yes, there are times when a system BIOS update is necessary to resolve, for example, a hardware compatibility issue, but this is unlikely to apply in Ray’s case as the hardware in question is several years old and worked perfectly under Windows 7. One reason BIOS updates are offered by the manufacturer of a MoBo is to accommodate certain new hardware that postdates the development/release of the MoBo and are encountering problems when not recognised correctly.

Your previous experiences and outcomes, while understandable, are unlikely to mirror those of the majority of users here at AVSIM. Where operating systems are concerned I learned the hard way to meddle as little as possible. The majority of changes made via the user interface can be considered as being safe, acceptable and unlikely to destabilise normal system operations. It was designed that way. System-related problems introduced by 3rd Party software is another matter and, for the most part, is beyond our control. It’s down to careful selection of what we allow to be installed, and trust in the software developer to keep within the rules and comply with what is regarded as being permissible to ensure correct behaviour and ongoing system stability.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Dirk,

Yes, there are times when a system BIOS update is necessary to resolve, for example, a hardware compatibility issue, but this is unlikely to apply in Ray’s case as the hardware in question is several years old and worked perfectly under Windows 7. One reason BIOS updates are offered by the manufacturer of a MoBo is to accommodate new hardware that postdate the development/release of the MoBo and are encountering problems when not recognised correctly.

We'll see. This is what we got here, I grew suspicious of hardware over the years

th_20181208_175053_zpspof5xmxr.jpg

(does the image open up with the click?)

Edited by Dirk98

1 hour ago, Dirk98 said:

We'll see. This is what we got here, I grew suspicious of hardware over the years

Hi Dirk,

Wow! Very impressive! I can’t come close to matching that setup. Perhaps I should back off now before risking being accused of teaching granny to suck eggs...lol! 

As is usually the case we, as individuals, will base our opinions and advice on acquired experience. I always try to approach a troubleshoot in a reasonably logical manner rather than wandering aimlessly down blind alleys that are unlikely to bear fruit and invariably only serve to confuse the process. Your mind set may be different and, of course, I respect that. In the end, all that really matters is how we have achieved the desired result.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruachan said:

One reason BIOS updates are offered by the manufacturer of a MoBo is to accommodate certain new hardware that postdates the development/release of the MoBo and are encountering problems when not recognised correctly.

If you look at the release notes for new BIOS update you generally see "improves system stability" or some similar bland wording. They never appear to list fixes. I was once told it's to keep important info from competitors. Hardly helps the user.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Dirk98 said:

Very nice system Dirk. I trust the modules on the left are well secured. You must have long arms! :biggrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

18 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Very nice system Dirk. I trust the modules on the left are well secured. You must have long arms! :biggrin:

Thank you lol. The top Boeing2 VRI is there in the picture just to prove the concept of my hardware mess, so normally it's sitting somewhere on the floor when not used, I swap it with Airbus FCU. My head is level with the top frame of the monitor (30-inch), so the switches are well within reach.

PS: and let my NHL19 playing there not mislead you regarding my advanced age. No, it's me playing it, not my grandkids yet )). My grand daughter just started flying last week with that stick first time, she's 8 soon.

Edited by Dirk98

Ah so you're an old bugger, not some young upstart! :biggrin:  That looks like a CH FlightStick Pro. I had one of those around 20 years ago.

Once you let your grandkids use kit like that you'll struggle to get in the left-hand seat! Be aware. :wink:

PS. Have you noticed the AvSim language filter isn't programmed for Anglo-Saxon? :biggrin:

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
  • Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Ah so you're an old bugger

PS. Have you noticed the AvSim language filter isn't programmed for Anglo-Saxon? :biggrin:

Lol, it is not

Edited by Dirk98

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Ah so you're an old bugger, not some young upstart! :biggrin:  That looks like a CH FlightStick Pro. I had one of those around 20 years ago.

I’m proud to say I still have, and use, a working CH FlightStick Pro 😀

From The Chambers Dictionary

Bugger: A rogue, scamp, applied inoffensively to a child or animal (US)

I wonder if the filter will accept bugger about (to potter about, do nothing useful, mess (someone) about) or bugger all (none, nothing) or couldn’t give a bugger (couldn’t care less) or play silly buggers (to behave foolishly)?

Mike 👹

Edit: It does!! Maybe it’s sophisticated enough to detect context of use. To be fair, the use of the word is not actually swearing.

Let’s try another: like buggery (furiously, frenziedly, used to express strong disagreement)

...and lastly, one final challenge: buggery

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

I’m proud to say I still have and use a working CH FlightStick Pro 😀

I think Ray had the older model or did not dig enough into it. CH gear set is still the most programmable, flexible and versatile joystick solution for any flight simulator. My Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog is gathering dust, unfortunately. Think about this: due to the number of buttons, hats and sophisticated programmability of CHM I stopped using TrackIR with P3D/XP. CH joysticks are so comfy in my hands, I just can't drop them for Thrustmaster's gems

Edited by Dirk98

7 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

I think Ray had the older model..

As do I. SN: 1076

Some things were built to last. Works in Windows 7 and 10 without any additional software.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruachan said:

I’m proud to say I still have, and use, a working CH FlightStick Pro 😀

From The Chambers Dictionary

Bugger: A rogue, scamp, applied inoffensively to a child or animal (US)

I wonder if the filter will accept bugger about (to potter about, do nothing useful, mess (someone) about) or bugger all (none, nothing) or couldn’t give a bugger (couldn’t care less) or play silly buggers (to behave foolishly)?

Mike 👹

Edit: It does!! Maybe it’s sophisticated enough to detect context of use. To be fair, the use of the word is not actually swearing.

Let’s try another: like buggery (furiously, frenziedly, used to express strong disagreement)

...and lastly, one final challenge: buggery

This! ...is why Im glad this thread persisted!

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, Dirk98 said:

Ok, ok, just positive vibes to you and your box.

I know you'll solve this enigma sometime.

I got to know Dirk a little via PM and he's provocative, certainly not to show us up, but because he is actually as concerned about our system health, as I am. So thank you Dirk!

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

The dxdiag problem remains but something changed today after downloading and installing Microsoft's Keyboard and Mouse software. This is what I wrote to Microsoft support....

Some new and potentially very important info. I'm still using the same keyboard and mouse with the new PC as I did with my previous one. A Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite keyboard and matching mouse. It looks like I bought this in 2000.

The difference is there were drivers available for this keyboard / mouse for Windows 7 but not for Windows 10. So I just accepted the default drivers and both keyboard and mouse worked okay. But I didn't have access to the advanced features of the keyboard that the W7 drivers gave me.

I did some searching and downloaded and installed Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Centre from Microsoft. This does still not give me the advanced features but here's the important bit.

When I ran dxdiag after installing this software it didn't crash as it normally does. Instead this message is displayed.

It looks very much as though this keyboard / mouse is not fully compatible with Windows 10 / DirectX.

I suspect I may have to buy a new keyboard / mouse which is quite annoying as there's nothing wrong physically with my current one.

Given I'd had this keyboard for 18 years I'm not adverse to changing it should it be responsible for the problem. Thoughts?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather