Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

23 minutes ago, SteveW said:

The pedals and yokes use up a bit of juice so too many of those can overload the hub. So far I've not found the limit on the ten port Oricos, they seem OK..

Pedals and yoke are connected direct to PC. Throttles connected to yoke which acts a hub.

Bear in mind I've had this kit for over 10 years without any issues. My main concerns are that my GoFlight units won't last for ever (15 years old now) and GoFlight's sale and lack of stock makes me think they're about to close.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Let’s return to the original point of this topic. Namely the six cores of my i7-8086K running no faster than 4.4Ghz. I put this down to some mischief by Intel in how they marketed this processor. Yes, it will run at 5Ghz but only on core0 and crucially, only if the program being run uses a single core.

We know P3D uses multiple cores so what was happening until earlier today was all cores were being throttled to 4.4Ghz and nothing was running at 5.

I looked back at my receipt and it included a free overclocking service of up to 20%. So I wrote to Chillblast and asked why it wasn’t done. I also explained that I felt I wasn’t getting the maximum performance from this special CPU.

Within 30 mins I had a reply including instructions on how to overclock it. Only small steps - 0.1 GHz at a time so as not to introduce instability. I was impressed with their response.

Went into the BIOS and said a few Hail Mary’s first and made the change. Tested at EGLL and it was good to see all cores now running at 4.5Ghz. FPS hovered around 30 with UTL set to 80% which is pretty good. But west of EGLL looking back towards London they were quite a bit lower-around low 20s.

The values will be increased in the next few days and may eventually require a small increase in voltage but Chillblast will advise when that’s necessary.

Sorry for my tardiness towards some people earlier in this thread. I was convinced the system was running at 5.0 Ghz but clearly, maybe due an oversight, it wasn’t. Hopefully we can get it to around 4.8Ghz on all cores. Fingers crossed.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

34 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Let’s return to the original point of this topic. Namely the six cores of my i7-8086K running no faster than 4.4Ghz. I put this down to some mischief by Intel in how they marketed this processor. Yes, it will run at 5Ghz but only on core0 and crucially, only if the program being run uses a single core.

We know P3D uses multiple cores so what was happening until earlier today was all cores were being throttled to 4.4Ghz and nothing was running at 5.

I looked back at my receipt and it included a free overclocking service of up to 20%. So I wrote to Chillblast and asked why it wasn’t done. I also explained that I felt I wasn’t getting the maximum performance from this special CPU.

Within 30 mins I had a reply including instructions on how to overclock it. Only small steps - 0.1 GHz at a time so as not to introduce instability. I was impressed with their response.

Went into the BIOS and said a few Hail Mary’s first and made the change. Tested at EGLL and it was good to see all cores now running at 4.5Ghz. FPS hovered around 30 with UTL set to 80% which is pretty good. But west of EGLL looking back towards London they were quite a bit lower-around low 20s.

The values will be increased in the next few days and may eventually require a small increase in voltage but Chillblast will advise when that’s necessary.

Sorry for my tardiness towards some people earlier in this thread. I was convinced the system was running at 5.0 Ghz but clearly, maybe due an oversight, it wasn’t. Hopefully we can get it to around 4.8Ghz on all cores. Fingers crossed.

4.8ghz shall not be any problem at all, as a asus beta tester for z68-z370 i need to know the Cpu spec.

nowdays iam retired from work , +65 years old and its a hobby to fiddeling with PC systems

Edited by westman
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, westman said:

4.8ghz shall not be any problem at all, as a asus beta tester for z68-z370 i need to know the Cpu spec.

It’s in my sig. i7-8086K. Motherboard is Asus Prime Z370-A II mobo.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

9 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It’s in my sig. i7-8086K. Motherboard is Asus Prime Z370-A II mobo.

My Eng is very bad , when beta test different mobos i Most study the cpu specifications before start testing differnt bios etc.

The last chipsent i was in the beta team was ROG Z370 series

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, westman said:

My Eng is very bad , when beta test different mobos i Most study the cpu specifications before start testing differnt bios etc.

The last chipsent i was in the beta team was ROG Z370 series

Hey, I have an 8086 on my desk and 2 sticks of 4400 c18-19 1.4v on the way. I’m coming for ya man. :-)

ps is that 4800 on an apex XI by any chance? If on an X, what vssa/imc you running. ....crazy stuff.

.....thanks for your patience Ray.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Sorry for my tardiness towards some people earlier in this thread.

No offence taken Ray, we're all on your side here.  I'm glad you've picked up the challenge of doing the overclocking, it's not hard and you'll be happy with the results I'm sure 🙂

Just remember to call Chillblast and get a partial refund for the hassle they've put you to when they sold you a non overclocked system as overclocked.

By error or design, that's very naughty of them and no doubt you'll find a decent addon to invest their part refund in 😛

Keep happy, K

• Like 3

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

@kevinfirth, it’s not something I want to pursue. No harm has been done and their staff are very good. The fact they came back so quickly and gave me the instructions earned them credit.

They did say they never overclock their systems they take to shows. Their top system is £4.5K which I played with at the Cosford show in October. That surprised me but it’s their call. My previous system was overclocked and was fine for 5 years and remains so with its new owner.

I’m confident we can get this system to 4.8, maybe more. Watch my sig! 😊

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
  • Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

In my opinion a P3D system should be set up to be relaxed until extra throughput is required. Also arranging the CPU partition for P3D and the addon exe apps yields as much or more than a few hundred MHz..

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Let's put a simple P3D AM to work on an HT enabled system. The default AM is to use all cores (and indeed all LPs in HT mode). Take the first LP utilised by P3D and it can reach 100% CPU, especially in systems sporting 20-30fps as these are maxed out. Take the second LP utilised and we see maybe 40% or more, depending  on a lot of variables it's about that. So in HT mode we share a 100% task on one LP with a 40 % task on the sister LP on a single core. That in fact means the first task is running around 75% and the second around 25%. Moving the second task to the next core unloads that from the first core. In effect a hike of 1000MHz. Better than the overclock of the default AM system utilising both LPs of the first core. It's the same on FSX and XP. I've been seeing the same results since dual core came out.

• Like 2

So what we do now with latest CPUs and motherboards is arrange the AM to target the fastest core with the first P3D task, and use just one LP of that core for that, and keep add-ons off it as well. Then we can use pairs of LPs for background tasks that take seconds to complete, so they contend but complete the multiple tasks earlier that way. So the benefit of HT is realised that way, no need to disable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So Ray. If your eyes have not glossed over hearing about AMs, the proper setting of your system gives you more performance than your overclock. Having both an overclock and the proper CPU partitioning for P3D goes hand in hand. Overclocking alone is misguided.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Let's put a simple P3D AM to work on an HT enabled system. The default AM is to use all cores (and indeed all LPs in HT mode). Take the first LP utilised by P3D and it can reach 100% CPU, especially in systems sporting 20-30fps as these are maxed out. Take the second LP utilised and we see maybe 40% or more, depending  on a lot of variables it's about that. So in HT mode we share a 100% task on one LP with a 40 % task on the sister LP on a single core. That in fact means the first task is running around 75% and the second around 25%. Moving the second task to the next core unloads that from the first core. In effect a hike of 1000MHz. Better than the overclock of the default AM system utilising both LPs of the first core. It's the same on FSX and XP. I've been seeing the same results since dual core came out.

Hi Steve, been following this thread since the beginning and have learnt lots about my system I never knew.

I have very much the same system as Ray, and I have been using Asus Dual Intelligent Processors 5, which makes me very nervous, and am worried I could be creating more of an issue using it.

I have HT=OFF in Bios, I am wondering if I should go back to basics, with HT=On and use power saving features of the CPU, example, I have Speed Step disabled and CC states ?

@Ray Proudfoot

Sorry for hijacking your thread, hope you don't mind.

Julian

Edited by ZKOKQ
  • Like 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

35 minutes ago, SteveW said:

So Ray. If your eyes have not glossed over hearing about AMs, the proper setting of your system gives you more performance than your overclock. Having both an overclock and the proper CPU partitioning for P3D goes hand in hand. Overclocking alone is misguided.

Steve,

I’m curious about your system, the version of P3D you run and what aircraft you fly.

Please post what HT, AF and overclocking settings you employ. I’m curious.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

56 minutes ago, ZKOKQ said:

Hi Steve, been following this thread since the beginning and have learnt lots about my system I never knew.

I have very much the same system as Ray, and I have been using Asus Dual Intelligent Processors 5, which makes me very nervous, and am worried I could be creating more of an issue using it.

I have HT=OFF in Bios, I am wondering if I should go back to basics, with HT=On and use power saving features of the CPU, example, I have Speed Step disabled and CC states ?

Hi Julian,

No need for any concerns. I’ve used ASUS DIP5 on several occasions and it does a fine job:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/545573-p3d-running-but-cpu-not-running-at-max-speed/?do=findComment&comment=3931571

If you decide to give it a try, be sure to first restore your system BIOS settings to their optimum defaults.

If, like me, you feel little enthusiasm for attempting a manual overclock then DIP5 is the answer. All done and dusted in approx.15mins and the result is stable. Using this method recently I raised the clock by 53% on all cores of my water-cooled i7-5960X while under load and without any temperature issues. HT=ON (see sig).

Regards,

Mike

• Like 2