Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

From memory I think there's an addon.cfg that holds all the entries and crucially, the paths. But aren't the paths also held in individual add-on.xml files too?

If that's the case then it's a bit of a dog's dinner having to change them.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hello Ray,

I am not about to engage in an argument with you as it will inevitably lead to nowhere.

Put simply, the idea, as I believe is in the SDK, though I have not studied it, is to install the

product wherever you want to, except, they say, inside the P3D root folder.

Then an add-on.xml file is placed in the documents folder which is read by P3D and tells it

where to find the files.

Once this is done, P3D reads the add-on.xml files and adds to or takes away from the add-ons.cfg

file depending on what it finds.

I believe that it is also possible for a developer's installer to write directly to the add-ons.cfg file

allowing P3D to find the files' location.

9 minutes ago, nolonger said:

Hello Ray,

I am not about to engage in an argument with you as it will inevitably lead to nowhere.

What on earth made you write that? I asked a perfectly reasonable question. I wasn't looking to start an argument.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, simbol said:

Ray,

Time to cool of a bit m8, put yourself into other shoes and re-read your comments.

It is very hard to put a price tag to something we don't understand, so perhaps it would be better to ask for more information before placing any judgement in public.

In any case we all understand you do not wish to buy the product, this is fine and also aceptable, however this doesn't mean the product is a high quality add-on and that is very valuable to others. This is the very thin line we are all walking here.

My personal opinion as a professional is that Steve is an amazing developer with a set of skills that are unquestionable.

Best Regards,
Simbol

I appreciate all the kind words - thank you!

The 'friendly' question was asked "what I do" I was not selling at all, at some stage I might mention IFPro in that sense. I's not fair to be completely silent about the product 100% of the time. It's a classic product that everyone knows about these days. Ray chose instead to make comments about it in a derogatory fashion for no reason when he could quite obviously continue a polite conversation in a friendly manner that doesn't rip up something like his friend's opinions and of course he's got to make fun of Microsoft too so I'm in good company. I particularly dislike miserable comments about Microsoft when they put all this in place for us all. Not what I would do.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

15 minutes ago, SteveW said:

I appreciate all the kind words - thank you!

The 'friendly' question was asked "what I do"

Actually, it wasn't. I never asked anything about what you do. I asked about your sim. Here's the proof.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, ErichB said:

I think I bought it  during the FSX days although I never really used it - purely because i didn't spend the time to get to know it well enough.  I'll check tonight.  If I did, will it still be valid with P3D (relevant updates) or would I need to repurchase?   It seems to be more useful for the type of flying I do these days.  Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for supporting me in the past - thank you. The P3D v4 version is a separate purchase even if you own the FSX version. Does everything from MTBF failures to system profiling.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

10 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Very good Mike. Now line up on 09R at EGLL and do the same test. Do you have an Ai package?

Hi Ray,

Here you go! Yes, I do take a significant hit, but perhaps not quite as bad as I had expected:

N29MHbg.jpg

Same settings, same time of day - 18:30hrs

Currently using UTLive. Also FSPS FFTF DYNAMIC which is likely to be helping keep the frame rate (bottom right hand corner) up a bit.

Regards,,

Mike

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Ray,

Here you go! Yes, I do take a significant hit, but perhaps not quite as bad as I had expected:

Currently using UTLive. Also FSPS FFTF DYNAMIC which is likely to be helping keep the frame rate (bottom right hand corner) up a bit.

Regards,,

Mike

Thanks Mike. 20 is respectable. Is that the default EGLL?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

23 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Mike. 20 is respectable. Is that the default EGLL?

Yes, sorry I should have mentioned that.

Mike

4 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Yes, sorry I should have mentioned that.

Mike

Just as well you don’t need those mega airports. All sorts of compromises have to be made.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

43 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Ray,

Here you go! Yes, I do take a significant hit, but perhaps not quite as bad as I had expected

Regards,,

Mike

Mike, is that the default EGLL or an add on..?? 20 fps is not bad, EGLL can be really hard on performance as we know..

I snapped this pic at EGLL... 18:30, Spring, 50 mile visibility, Aerosoft A320, UTLive @ 85% traffic, scenery is UK2000, which I find to be notoriously tough on frames at this airport... lol

I'm getting frames in the mid 20's, which in all honesty is pretty good at EGLL on my system.

I'd like to hear more about FSPS FFTF Dynamic...?? I presume this is something that adjusts your Fiber Frame Time Fraction dynamically..?? That sounds very interesting, and i'd love to hear your impressions and experience with it...😎

ZfnCOYb.jpg

22 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Just as well you don’t need those mega airports. All sorts of compromises have to be made.

Hi Ray,

I can believe it! In my case that 20fps is not the whole story. During takeoff the frame rate dropped to 13-15. Not my idea of a pleasant experience 😥 They did recover somewhat during the short flight approaching the city, but not by much. Were I so inclined, I guess some tweaking would be required to improve matters. Maybe I’ll give it a go someday.

Regards,

Mike

1 hour ago, SunDevil56 said:

I'd like to hear more about FSPS FFTF Dynamic...?? I presume this is something that adjusts your Fiber Frame Time Fraction dynamically..?? That sounds very interesting, and i'd love to hear your impressions and experience with it...

Hi,

I think it’s fair to say that results are somewhat mixed as are opinions regarding its effectiveness. I use it and do find it useful in helping to maintain performance in more demanding scenery but, as you have read, even EGLL is proving to be a step too far without being willing to back off some settings in my sim.

Basically there are two ways to configure this utility which loads with and runs alongside the sim. Automatic/Dynamic adjustments of the FFTF value can be based on either desired  frame rate range or changing height above ground level. I choose the latter: AGL RANGE FEET = 0-5000, FFTF RANGE = 0.01-0.33

If you don’t mind, I think I will duck this one. Instead, I think you would be better advised to make your decision after having done your own research on these forums. To get you started, here are a couple of links that should prove helpful:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/538036-fsps-fftf-dynamic/#comment-3863727

https://www.fspsstore.com/blog/news/fftf-dynamic-p3dv4

This product has been the subject of much discussion over the past year and I believe the general consensus is that it does help, but there are some caveats. Don’t expect miracles, there is always a price to be paid. Additional performance in demanding situations does not come for free. If you can accept this then it could be a worthwhile purchase.

The current version is 1,4 (compatible with Prepar3D v4.4)

Regards,

Mike

39 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Ray,

I can believe it! In my case that 20fps is not the whole story. During takeoff the frame rate dropped to 13-15. Not my idea of a pleasant experience 😥 They did recover somewhat during the short flight approaching the city, but not by much. Were I so inclined, I guess some tweaking would be required to improve matters. Maybe I’ll give it a go someday.

Regards,

Mike

There is something you can do to temporarily improve fps. ASL has key commands to increase and decrease the % of Ai. You could lower it to around 20 for taxi and departure then increase it as you see fit once clear of Heathrow.

It’s a very useful feature to be able to change it on the fly like that.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

There is something you can do to temporarily improve fps. ASL has key commands to increase and decrease the % of Ai. You could lower it to around 20 for taxi and departure then increase it as you see fit once clear of Heathrow.

It’s a very useful feature to be able to change it on the fly like that.

ASL? Sorry, no comprendo. Did you mean UTLive? If so, I wasn't aware it had this feature and, I agree, could be very useful in such situations. Thanks.

Mike