Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

Yes it is an exe that can be started manually rather than with the sim, so then it can be done as any other. I think it's an option in the settings to not have it autoload.

Hi Steve,

....and UTLive?

See last para in: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/545573-p3d-running-but-cpu-not-running-at-max-speed/?do=findComment&comment=3960032

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AnkH said:

Ehm, how does AM=85 work on a six core not HT CPU? If I am not wrong, this simply results in limiting P3D to run on 3 cores only instead of 6 (10101010, the last "1" and "0" simply ignored as you have only 6 cores), would result in exactly the same as using 21 as AM and easily explains the reduced temperature, as only half of the processor is used... Surprinsing that you see any effect here.

hit the nail on the head. the link shows a graphic of the vitals of my sfo to lax flight this morning ....without am cores 3 and 4 would be close to 10C higher. furthermore, the weather was lousy (asn - 5 cloud layers) so I would typically see some stuttering along the way with hdd lighting up ...saw none of that during the flight ...heck, i'm not so sure that fs dream team's lax didin't cause a stutter when loading on the approach between santa monica and ventura.

https://imgur.com/Rdw29BM

the completed flight -near the beach looking east:

https://imgur.com/qZyFilE

video ...captured right before making my "wow" post on the previous page of this thread ...well, I was impressed:

orbx so-cal, pmdg, asn dreamteam, flightbeam, ai by aig

Edited by FunknNasty
added video link
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

Yes that's all correct apart from the red. 

They are assigned LP's 1,2,3,5,7. Are you saying 3 is bad? so 1,2,5,7 is better? I use 2 as that's only running at 25-30%

Hi David,

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/545573-p3d-running-but-cpu-not-running-at-max-speed/?do=findComment&comment=3960140

See above regarding assigning LP 3 on Core 1. My preference is to avoid the first 2 Cores thereby allowing the main Prepar3D thread to run on LP 0 of Core 0 and the second Prepar3D task to run on LP 2 of Core 1. However, there is no reason why you should not test a different configuration to find what works best for you.

All we are discussing here are the how’s and why’s. You need to experiment to find the optimum assignments that provide the best performance on your hardware/software setup.

“Each of the Add-on executables can be assigned LPs 5 and 7”

This is simply how I would prefer to do it. I appreciate you are trying a different arrangement.

For example I might try AffinityMask=53 (00,11,01,01). That would leave a whole Core (2 HT LPs) free for your add-on executables. This will work but, without trying it you will never discover how well it works...or not, as the case may be. 

Another example might be AffinityMask=61 (00,11,11,01) which provides an additional LP for loading of textures.

Regards,

Mike

1 hour ago, FunknNasty said:

video ...captured right before making my "wow" post on the previous page of this thread ...well, I was impressed....

Hi Ken,

Enjoyed your video! Very nice, and nary a stutter in sight!

Little doubt that your overclocked (5.2Ghz) Prepar3D single-threaded performance on Core 0 of your i5-8600K outperforms my i7-5960X at 4.6Ghz.

Regards,

Mike

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Steve,

Please ignore that post as my question is in fact without foundation. Just checked and I see no such reference to UTLive in the DLL/dll.xml and Exe/exe.xml files. That's what comes of relying on memory when away from your PC and trying to recall details that are a tad hazy ☹️

The line <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> does appear for the iFly Menu Addon, but I assume you would not wish to change this nor try to assign an AffinityMask.

I checked the UTLive add-on.xml and there are paths described for two components: the utl_client.exe and utLive Aircraft. You can't have one without the other so, again, I'm assuming you shouldn't try to start UTLive along with an assigned AffinityMask using a bat file. Is this correct?

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

David, for a 4-Core CPU if using HT it is "advisable" to put prepar3D.exe on 4 cores as follows:

11.11.10.10 (JobScheduler 250)

All other apps that you are running on the same PC are "advisable" to put on 2 LPs from different Cores on the left each as follows:

10.10.00.00 (JobSch 160) and 01.01.00.00 (JobSch 80) only

So you can assign ASP4 10.10.00.00 Affinity (160) and MCE or RC4 or GoFlight, or TrackIR 01.01.00.00 Affinity (80). Also note, that it's better when each app runs on a pair of LPs from 2 different Cores, and those Cores should be those on the left as far as possible from the first 2 very busy Cores on the right. As we have learnt the most important first 2 threads of P3Dv4.4 should run on the first 2 dedicated Cores on the right. Something along these lines for a 4-Core CPU HT On.

Edited by Dirk98
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AnkH said:

A little OT but still one of the remaining questions to me: I successfully managed to force all my external software such as REX, AS and ProATC/X to run on core4 and core5 (including HT) only on my rig. However, I did not manage to force UT2 to other cores, as this software is started from the exe.xml when P3D is firing up. All my attempts to start a .bat file instead of the .exe failed, so for now, this is the last external software still running on core0 in my case. I know I could simply start UT2 manually instead of automatically via exe.xml, but that is not really convenient. Is there a possibility to circumvent this? Someone has a good idea (Steve?)?

I've made a batch file for UTL. Maybe you can adopt it for UT2? I run the batch after P3D has reached the Opening Screen. Then UTL reloads and runs on the assigned cores.

@ECHO OFF
echo.
echo STEP 1: Closing client
echo.
TASKKILL /F /IM utl_client.exe
echo.
echo STEP 2: Re-Starting Client with AffinityMask . . .
start "" /affinity C0 "E:\P3Dv4_ADDONS\V4_TRAFFIC\UTL\utl_client.exe"
echo.
echo SUCCESS: Client has been re-started and will be active in approx. 15 seconds
echo.
Pause

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

47 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Steve,

Please ignore that post as my question is in fact without foundation. Just checked and I see no such reference to UTLive in the DLL/dll.xml and Exe/exe.xml files. That's what comes of relying on memory when away from your PC and trying to recall details that are a tad hazy ☹️

The line <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> does appear for the iFly Menu Addon, but I assume you would not wish to change this nor try to assign an AffinityMask.

I checked the UTLive add-on.xml and there are paths described for two components: the utl_client.exe and utLive Aircraft. You can't have one without the other so, again, I'm assuming you shouldn't try to start UTLive along with an assigned AffinityMask using a bat file. Is this correct?

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

In UTLIVE config select P3D v4 as sim to link to.

In the addons menu drop down in P3D uncheck UTLive or as you mention you can set active=false in the add-ons.cfg before starting P3D.

In the .BAT I wrote:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "Notepad" /affinity C00 "C:\PROGRAM FILES\FLIGHT ONE SOFTWARE\ULTIMATE TRAFFIC LIVE\utl_client.exe"

And started the sim.

After the sim starts I then started the utlive  .BAT. after a short delay the client starts up. In a minute or two the dashboard will fill with active flights.

The utlive was running on 11,00,00,00,00,00

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Mike,

When you use IFPro, you can do the same: in the Other Apps window apply the same exe and add the command line parameter in the edit box " IF10AM3072"

The IFPro Config.cfg will show:

"[RunAfter]

RunCmd_1=C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "Notepad" /affinity C00 "C:\PROGRAM FILES\FLIGHT ONE SOFTWARE\ULTIMATE TRAFFIC LIVE\utl_client.exe"

Params_1=IF10AM3072

ShowWindow_1=True

Disable_1=False"

The RunAfter section waits till the simconnect server shows the sim start before starting the addon.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The reason for more performance improvements are better with v4.4 and the '01' on the end of the AM is that the second task is more heavily loaded.

HT enabled uses the processor more fully in terms of the highly threaded operating system and input/output streams, networking disk etc.

However some tasks remain monolithic and if they are time critical (P3D FSX task one), they should be allocated reserved cores for a performance boost equivalent to maybe 25-35%. That's more than the fuss and humm of OC and extra fans can do.

Edited by SteveW

17 minutes ago, SteveW said:

When you use IFPro

Steve, would IFPro automate this for me ? Wish I hap paid attention to the Maths teacher all those decades ago.

Edit: I have a 8086 CPU, so I have to rethink everything now, how I run P3D

Regards

Julian

Edited by ZKOKQ
  • Like 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

9 minutes ago, ZKOKQ said:

Steve, would IFPo automate this for me ? Wish I hap paid attention to the Maths teacher all those decades ago.

Edit: I have a 8086 CPU, so I have to rethink everything now, how I run P3D

Yes IFPro can do anything you can think of - almost. If you use IFPro for a session it can be set to start any app with a properly configured affinity at any stage. IFPro finds spare cores to use when the sim is running but that too can be set to start where we want. It's an AM aware app so it's best to use the app specified AM setting as we do FSX and P3D. Especially with P3D we must use the AM in the cfg or the outcome may not be as expected when organised by a process manager app.

...I mentioned earlier:

Before getting into finding the top OC we can do reliably, we must first ensure we have the baseline full hit setup of P3D. P3D will hammer the system during startup. If the AM and settings of the sim, and the HT mode are not sorted out before setting the OC, we might have a badly destabilised system after.

Edited by SteveW
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Before getting into finding the top OC we can do reliably, we must first ensure we have the baseline full hit setup of P3D. P3D will hammer the system during startup. If the AM and settings of the sim, and the HT mode are not sorted out before setting the OC, we might have a badly destabilised system after.

Cheers, thanks Steve. Sounds good to me.

Regards

Julian

• Like 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Dirk mentioned that IFPro features a test harness mode. What means is that all the features possible in P3D are testable with a guaranteed repeatable session of P3D and the addons. The Windows system might also be set more compliantly for even more accurate repeat testing. It might not feature a couple of idiosyncrasies of certain unique aircraft (like Concorde) leaving one or two items of flight configuration to apply thought to manually, but any requested feature can be put in if enough users (like Ray) desire them. Also there's a minor update waiting in the wings for some small changes in P3D.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Dirk mentioned that IFPro features a test harness mode. What means is that all the features possible in P3D are testable with a guaranteed repeatable session of P3D and the addons. The Windows system might also be set more compliantly for even more accurate repeat testing. It might not feature a couple of idiosyncrasies of certain unique aircraft (like Concorde) leaving one or two items of flight configuration to apply thought to manually, but any requested feature can be put in if enough users (like Ray) desire them. Also there's a minor update waiting in the wings for some small changes in P3D.

Cheers will grab a copy next week, have a few days off, and can spend the time learning IFPro's features.

Once again, thanks Steve. This thread has been very rewarding.

Regards

Julian