Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

Steve. Not sure what you mean by HIDs. Perhaps precise instructions on how to update would help. Never had a BSOD with this PC.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

16 minutes ago, SteveW said:

So they are the Common drivers and if they fail you might get a BSOD rather than individual items not working. Did you check the HIDs

So as I said, if you didn't have any BSODs then it's likely Common Drivers and hardware are OK.

After all this is the Universal Serial Bus.

The HIDs are Human Interface Devices  (Virtual Devices) that are installed before introducing the controllers to the system.

So if you remember Your software sets up the HIDs - Virtual Device Drivers for your controller. Did you try installing that again after all the USB was correct and stable.

Do any USB devices work without error? If so that's all OK - look for an item not working and check it on USB2. If it's a port check it with a USB device wit a shorter cable.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...if you don't understand any of that please ask for more detail - i'm here all night.

47 minutes ago, SteveW said:

So as I said, if you didn't have any BSODs then it's likely Common Drivers and hardware are OK.

After all this is the Universal Serial Bus.

The HIDs are Human Interface Devices  (Virtual Devices) that are installed before introducing the controllers to the system.

So if you remember Your software sets up the HIDs - Virtual Device Drivers for your controller. Did you try installing that again after all the USB was correct and stable.

Do any USB devices work without error? If so that's all OK - look for an item not working and check it on USB2. If it's a port check it with a USB device wit a shorter cable.

I haven’t attempted to install HID drivers. All USB devices work without problem.

What I really would like to know is why dxdiag fails after a clean boot but when run immediately afterwards completes ok once the option not to bypass DirectInput is chosen. That is the crux of this problem.

The only way to find the problem is to remove all usb devices apart from keyboard and mouse and test each device with dxdiag.

All devices are plugged into USB2 ports and cable lengths are the ones that came with each item.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Mike,

Here is the link to my discussion and Microsoft’s advice. Hope it helps you.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/directinput-causing-l-m-prepar3d-v4-to-crash/20c20b5d-4261-4b13-8a58-375c387b7b3e

Thanks very much Ray.

re. Generic USB Hub, might be worth a shot.

Regards,

Mike

HIDs get installed by the controller software, unless they are generic ones. Seems OK thereabouts then. But what I was saying is that the HIDs are devices you check in the course of deduction.

1 minute ago, SteveW said:

But what I was saying is that the HIDs are devices you check in the course of deduction.

???

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

In This PC properties, Device Manager, look at the HIDs see they are all  OK. Goto All events and look at Administrative Events for information about the crash.

4 minutes ago, SteveW said:

In This PC properties, Device Manager, look at the HIDs see they are all  OK. Goto All events and look at Administrative Events for information about the crash.

There are no issues in Device Manager. Clean as a whistle. The only entries appearing in Administrative Events Errors are dxdiag.exe when it has crashed but otherwise just 4 DistributedCom errors which Microsoft say can be safely ignored.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Seems all OK to me. The P3D crash report 'might' lead you to something...

Edited by SteveW

...sorry, meant for you to scroll down to the P3D crash entries..

9 minutes ago, SteveW said:

...sorry, meant for you to scroll down to the P3D crash entries..

Just the usual ntdll.dll error.

This is the dxdiag error report...

Faulting application name: dxdiag.exe, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0x08226207
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0xa369e897
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000fb349
Faulting process ID: 0x2e9c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4881a0f15d36b
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 5ab6759b-6a2c-475c-a09a-902347fc7b7c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

do you mean there's no entry for P3D?

All the controllers work and the Sim works fine after running it up again after the crash? dxdiag crashes every time?

6 minutes ago, SteveW said:

do you mean there's no entry for P3D?

There used to be but what's the point in running it when I know it will crash unless dxdiag has successfully run? The faulting module was always ntdll.dll.

1 minute ago, SteveW said:

All the controllers work and the Sim works fine after running it up again after the crash? dxdiag crashes every time?

Yes, after dxdiag has run a second time P3D loads fine and I can fly without any issues. Alll USB hardware works - GoFlight modules, Saitek yoke and throttles and CH pedals.

Yes, dxdiag crashes every time after booting up. I run it a second time and it asks if I want to bypass DirectInput check. I choose No and in a few seconds it has completed successfully. I then launch P3D and it works.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather