Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

...so with your stock setup as you did, but with FSUIPC set-up all sweetly, and get it all going, then add half the addons with the most likely candidates for problems.

There's also the possibility of something not getting some kind of access until too late then has access next time you run and so works OK then. I don't now how it's all running or set-up on your rig but poppets method you mentioned should be OK. In terms of installing with admin/private folder/UAC vs recommended install by MS and LM/enable permissions if and when needed, the latter is more reliable by a large factor. The former alters the behaviour of P3D to suit addons, the latter alters the system to suit addons, so I don't ever recommend the former methods and they seem to relate to 99% of weird problems on systems.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The behaviour of the CPU is the least of my concerns at the moment Steve. I am trying to resolve the problem of P3D crashing when first launched. That is my number 1 priority at present.

Remember I had no intention of being this far into the thread talking about that, that was following you. I understand you'll be very sensitive about your new baby, so i'm not going to be offended by the condescending remarks and I am assuring you I am not taking the micky out of it because this is not just a thread for you to enjoy - I have personal mail regarding aspects of this thread by other flight simmers. I'm going to defend my posts and initially it is VERY clear you had no idea about the effect of VSYNC and that it was a very real necessity for you to know that at that early stage - you seemed to miss it. The link I posted was simply for your ref. so you could check it out at your leisure, not to get you to change your setting, as you assumed. Everything in the thread is relevant you don't know if one effects the other and so if solving one solves the other either.

Edited by SteveW

I would definitely try to run P3D with the default BIOS settings first. 

• Like 1

Good idea. The thing is to be sure to have everything sorted out at basic settings, no adjustments, add-in software etc. and definitely not highly OC'd. Otherwise there's just no knowing where the problem crept in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The action of just checking the registrations of FSUIPC5 and WideServer created DLL.XML for me.

The installer will always check the DLL.XML and add the FSUIPC entry if missing, OR move it to the end (apart from the as connect DLL, which should come after).

And, yes, if there isn't a DLL.XML it creates one with only FSUIPC in it.

9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

take it you’ve seen my post in your forum and it gives no clues?

There are a couple of replies there since then, one last night and one this morning.

Pete

• Like 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

2 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

I would definitely try to run P3D with the default BIOS settings first. 

I bought a professionally built PC because I have no idea on overclocking. No way am I going to start dabbling with something I have no knowledge of.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Professionally-built PC should run P3Dv4 Ok.

Changing BIOS settings doesn't bite. You can even take pictures of your current settings on your smartphone before you start dabbling. ))

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I bought a professionally built PC because I have no idea on overclocking. No way am I going to start dabbling with something I have no knowledge of.

Irrespective of this, it could be the overclock which is causing the instability. 

As an example, I can get 4.8 out of my old skylane, but if I try to run P3d I get all sorts of CTDs during loading. Backing the overclock off to 4.6 and it all settles down

• Like 1

This thread has turned into a real mess with multiple things under discussion. Let me make it clear. The sim is not unstable. The fps are excellent. The only problem I have is with P3D crashing on first load and before the free flight window is displayed. That is now being discussed elsewhere and with LM should it become necessary.

I an NOT going to start making changes to the BIOS. Dabbling? I don’t dabble. Unless I’m certain of what I am doing I leave things alone.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

22 minutes ago, kand said:

Irrespective of this, it could be the overclock which is causing the instability. 

As an example, I can get 4.8 out of my old skylane, but if I try to run P3d I get all sorts of CTDs during loading. Backing the overclock off to 4.6 and it all settles down

I don't believe Ray started the thread off by saying the PC was unstable.  He started off by saying he didn't 'think' the PC was running at the overclock speed of 5Ghz but he also was unsure whether he was reading that correctly.

I appreciate Ray's caution when being told to start dabbling with the dark arts of BIOS settings and clock speeds.  You shouldn't have to when you've just thrown over £2k at a new PC  which should come with a stable overclock- - especially if you don't know what you are doing.  That is always poor advice.

Do you notice an appreciable difference in performance on your PC Ray?  If are you actually noticing performance issues fine, but if your sim is running appreciably better than your previous setup, then just leave things be.  Don't mess with a new system unless you have to.  

There's a varied knowledge base on Avsim which always leaves you second guessing and wanting to tinker about.  Sometimes it's best just to leave things alone if you have no specific issues.

• Like 1

Thank you @ErichB, a voice of reason. Yes, performance is significantly better than my previous PC but I can’t do a like for like test just yet as I still need to install an Ai package.

I also need to finalise settings in P3D as I have a lot of sliders near maximum. Those may be reduced to optimise performance. Even with the fastest CPUs and  GPUs not every slider needs to be far right.

I’m convinced the crashes are hardware related so will be trying a few things and discussing the results on Pete’s forum.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 hours ago, SteveW said:

...a stock P3D does not behave like yours so I would walk up to the PC and reduce the system to stock and try restarting and so on, then move on from there.

Since now you know that at some stage in the install of addons it creates the crashing problem you can find that by adding one half of your addons. A screw-up in the xml and or the configs wouldn't usually create that crash next time behaviour but could start an errant process to cause it.

Without a DLL.XML and EXE.XML in local\roaming the sim runs fine even with 12+ addons. The addons are not the problem. I suspect it may be hardware related since P3D crashes whilst FSUIPC5 is writing to its log during a hardware scan. I will unplug yoke, Pedals and throttles and take it from there.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, ErichB said:

I don't believe Ray started the thread off by saying the PC was unstable. 

Ray believes his new o/cd PC is stable. I don't believe it is stable from what I've read in this thread. Been there done that, P3D was a better benchmark than some other professional software. Mark my words...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Without a DLL.XML and EXE.XML in local\roaming

A blind shot here .... maybe it's a rights problem, do the addons run as admin?

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

There were various and even unrelated instances. Once I recall I had a very new system (all professional!!), o/cd, and a similar crash of P3D at startup. I fixed the problem by removing 2x4Gb RAM sticks (out of 16Gb). Turned out the drivers of the mobo didn't click well with my very new RAM that time. All professional benchmarks and tests showed good results with 16Gb though.

PS: after a few BIOS updates I installed 2x4Gb sticks back and P3D started up Ok.

Edited by Dirk98