Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

Based on the fact that he paid so much money to a reputable company, that he's getting all this help here and also that the manufacturer mentions that "we are always happy to talk about the latest games and tech as well as our recommendations on systems."   ,   I wonder why he doesn't call the company and ask for their technical help (they advertise building computers for FLIGHT SIM). They should be able to connect with his computer and see what is going on.

There is a company here in US that is building computers for simulators and if is something wrong they will connect to your PC and will troubleshoot and tweak whatever is to it.

Obviously, Ray is very clear that he's not comfortable with some of the suggestions and he will not do certain things.  

I'm afraid that all these discussions and willingness to help are not getting any positive results.

• Upvote 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Just conducted several tests and with no yoke, throttle or pedals plugged in P3D loads fine.

But just attaching one of them causes it to crash before free flight screen. I suspect USB drivers in 1809 update as the chances these devices or the ports they're plugged into are faulty is remote.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

26 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Just conducted several tests and with no yoke, throttle or pedals plugged in P3D loads fine.

But just attaching one of them causes it to crash before free flight screen. I suspect USB drivers in 1809 update as the chances these devices or the ports they're plugged into are faulty is remote.

I was going to suggest to check this, what flight sim controllers are you using?

Also there are well known issues with USB devices that go to sleep and cannot react quickly enough to the "wake up now"  functions, which could cause the problem you are experiencing.

Go to your system control panel and be sure to enable "high power" profile were nothing goes to sleep ever, this way Windows 10 will stop the nonsense of "energy saving" profiles were it will try to put certain devices to sleep  to save power.

Regards,
S.

Edited by simbol

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

This is what I'm talking about - only ever add something and test it *before moving on* and filling up the PC with addons -  or all sorts of software will be suspected to be at fault. Have you tried plugging the controllers into a USB2 adapter with a PSU? Or are you plugging them straight  into USB3?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thank you @ErichB, a voice of reason. Yes, performance is significantly better than my previous PC but I can’t do a like for like test just yet as I still need to install an Ai package.

I also need to finalise settings in P3D as I have a lot of sliders near maximum. Those may be reduced to optimise performance. Even with the fastest CPUs and  GPUs not every slider needs to be far right.

I’m convinced the crashes are hardware related so will be trying a few things and discussing the results on Pete’s forum.

Again - setting any sliders or adjustments like that at all before thorough testing is a mistake. Set them all back first. The voice of reason for me is not to ignore problems irrespective of performance - how does anyone know it performs as well as it should? Those systems work fast whatever you did to them..

4 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

A blind shot here .... maybe it's a rights problem, do the addons run as admin?

I believe if P3D is run with admin they everything is inherited.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

...fps is not a measure of performance - god help us.

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

I believe if P3D is run with admin they everything is inherited.

Admin does not acquire rights to private folders so even if we install into a folder on a spare drive we still must enable Modify for the Users group on that folder since all those logging in are allowed to change files, this includes all admins. Then we can Run the Sim all admin after that installing without those precautions eventually there will be a problem.

The PC manufacturers set the PC up with an Overclock - if you read between the lines even though it's guaranteed they don't know for sure if P3D will behave in that. Roll back to my comment that the Overclock MUST accommodate HT or strange things happen even on a rig running lots of benchmarks, even these have cycles of waiting situations but some software in use with P3D might not.

1 hour ago, simbol said:

I was going to suggest to check this, what flight sim controllers are you using?

Also there are well known issues with USB devices that go to sleep and cannot react quickly enough to the "wake up now"  functions, which could cause the problem you are experiencing.

Go to your system control panel and be sure to enable "high power" profile were nothing goes to sleep ever, this way Windows 10 will stop the nonsense of "energy saving" profiles were it will try to put certain devices to sleep  to save power.

Regards,
S.

Saitek Pro Yoke and 2 x throttle quadrants and CH Pro Pedals. Had the yoke for years and also the pedals. Throttles less than 6 months old.

I've created a new power plan with cpu min and max at 100%. Previously it was 5% min and 100% max. All USB set to don't sleep.

With v-Sync off CPU 0 is at 100%, 1 at 20%, 2 at 30%, 3 to 11 barely registering.

With v-Sync on CPU 0 is at 60%, 2 at 11%, 3 at 25%, 4 to 11 barely registering.

This is with the default aircraft at the default airport with default wx.

GIven I'm launching P3D within seconds of the desktop becoming available USB power modes aren't the issue but appreciate the suggestion.

Report now posted on L-M forum. DirectInput is the cause and I suspect it needs a fix from Microsoft.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

11 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Admin does not acquire rights to private folders so even if we install into a folder on a spare drive we still must enable Modify for the Users group on that folder since all those logging in are allowed to change files, this includes all admins. Then we can Run the Sim all admin after that installing without those precautions eventually there will be a problem.

Does L-M recommend P3D is run with admin rights? If so where are their instructions for relevant sub-folders to be granted the permissions you mention? Consider that a rhetorical question.

I'm pretty knackered after working on a friend's PC for most of the day then coming home to work on mine. I don't see the point in discussing this problem here now since it's logged with L-M.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, killthespam said:

Based on the fact that he paid so much money to a reputable company, that he's getting all this help here and also that the manufacturer mentions that "we are always happy to talk about the latest games and tech as well as our recommendations on systems."   ,   I wonder why he doesn't call the company and ask for their technical help (they advertise building computers for FLIGHT SIM). They should be able to connect with his computer and see what is going on.

There is a company here in US that is building computers for simulators and if is something wrong they will connect to your PC and will troubleshoot and tweak whatever is to it.

Obviously, Ray is very clear that he's not comfortable with some of the suggestions and he will not do certain things.  

I'm afraid that all these discussions and willingness to help are not getting any positive results.

I have received an email from Chillblast and will be installing the software they suggested tomorrow and providing them with the results.

We do have very good computer companies here in the UK too.

I have tried some of the suggestions here - the ones that I'm comfortable with. But you are not sat in front of my system and cannot see what I can see. The last thing I want to do is make the situaton worse by doing something worse. The sim is completely usable albeit with the crash on first launch.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

GIven I'm launching P3D within seconds of the desktop becoming available USB power modes aren't the issue but appreciate the suggestion.

Report now posted on L-M forum. DirectInput is the cause and I suspect it needs a fix from Microsoft.

The time of the desktop availability is irrelevant.

USB2 or 3?

MS might fix an issue to support an improperly constructed driver - but DI is stable.

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Does L-M recommend P3D is run with admin rights? If so where are their instructions for relevant sub-folders to be granted the permissions you mention? Consider that a rhetorical question.

No that's why the sim works fully without - the professional way to run it as I describe all over the place. And I'm certainly not suggesting to run as admin. Folders you make are only accessible by you so the Admin account will need access eventually, a matter of time.

You're wasting your time expecting LM to discuss using P3D in a non recommended way like with all Admin and installing in alternate folders to those recommended - that's a systems thing

You need to refer to the MS Windows manual for that whereby they tell you to not mess with software - if an app or user needs permission *give the permission*. Consider that a truism.

49 minutes ago, SteveW said:

This is what I'm talking about - only ever add something and test it *before moving on* and filling up the PC with addons -  or all sorts of software will be suspected to be at fault. Have you tried plugging the controllers into a USB2 adapter with a PSU? Or are you plugging them straight  into USB3?

I am considering adding a USB2 powered hub and plugging yoke and pedals into that. I'm avoiding USB3 ports as the CH Pedals didn't respond in that input.

In response to your second post I don't give a hoot about P3D performance at present. I have a more pressing issue to resolve. And my PC is filled up with addons. It currenltly has one - FSUIPC - plus scenery addons which are fine. But the fact that P3D crashes with DirectInput selected and no FSUIPC5 - tells me the problem is probably linked to DirectInput.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have received an email from Chillblast and will be installing the software they suggested tomorrow and providing them with the results.

We do have very good computer companies here in the UK too.

I have tried some of the suggestions here - the ones that I'm comfortable with. But you are not sat in front of my system and cannot see what I can see. The last thing I want to do is make the situaton worse by doing something worse. The sim is completely usable albeit with the crash on first launch.

Yes Ray, that's the best approach in your case. You can fine tune some settings in the .CFG files, but their software will detect any conflicts and potential problems with any components inside the PC. 

I'm quite happy that you took that direction with Chillblast. As you mentioned, no matter how many skilled people try to help none of us is in front of the PC and notice (experience the problem).

I'm very impressed with the amount of people that got involved and trying to help, it's amazing.

We still have good people around us, HAPPY HOLIDAYS YOU ALL! 

• Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090