Sign in to follow this  
zabri

Assigning other runway for AI

Hello everyone,

I bought the ORBX FTX Melbourne airport a week ago. Well the scenery is amazing. The problem is not so big. Only thing is i see most of AI land & take off on the runway 27 which is quiet short for the heavy aircrafts or runway 34. Now the runway 34 is fine but i cant find the ILS frequencies for it or maybe it does not have one. Now i am not so good at Visual Approaches especially when its heavy aircrafts. I know that i can request the ATC for runway that has ILS and land on it but it seems unrealistic because i see opposite to the runway an AI is holding its position for take off. Is there a way that i can direct or assign the AI to a runway that i want?

By the way i am using MyTraffic 6.

1 hour ago, zabri said:

Hello everyone,

I bought the ORBX FTX Melbourne airport a week ago. Well the scenery is amazing. The problem is not so big. Only thing is i see most of AI land & take off on the runway 27 which is quiet short for the heavy aircrafts or runway 34. Now the runway 34 is fine but i cant find the ILS frequencies for it or maybe it does not have one.

According to charts i found online, RWY 34 doesn’t have an ILS approach but does have an RNAV and VOR approach that you can use.

1 hour ago, zabri said:

Now i am not so good at Visual Approaches especially when its heavy aircrafts. 

If you practice flying visual approaches then you’ll get good at them and will open open up other opportunities for you to fly to airports like TNCM that don’t have ILS. Don’t get used to using ILS as a crutch, at some point you’ll have to get good at flying the plane by hand like you would in real life.

1 hour ago, zabri said:

Is there a way that i can direct or assign the AI to a runway that i want?

You can either manually change the wind direction or use ADE to manually close the runways you don’t want traffic to use.

1 hour ago, zabri said:

By the way i am using MyTraffic 6.

Make sure you disable the MTX6 AFCAD for this airport or other addon airports you have so they don’t try to use the MTX6 AFCAD rather than the one that comes with the addon airport. This doesn’t mean that it fixes the issue you have here but is still a good idea, especially if you use GSX.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

According to charts i found online, RWY 34 doesn’t have an ILS approach but does have an RNAV and VOR approach that you can use.

If you practice flying visual approaches then you’ll get good at them and will open open up other opportunities for you to fly to airports like TNCM that don’t have ILS. Don’t get used to using ILS as a crutch, at some point you’ll have to get good at flying the plane by hand like you would in real life.

You can either manually change the wind direction or use ADE to manually close the runways you don’t want traffic to use.

Make sure you disable the MTX6 AFCAD for this airport or other addon airports you have so they don’t try to use the MTX6 AFCAD rather than the one that comes with the addon airport. This doesn’t mean that it fixes the issue you have here but is still a good idea, especially if you use GSX.

Yeah, i thought that could be the problem because i had this runway problem with Dublin airport too & it got fixed when i disabled the MTX AFCAD of Dublin airport but Melbourne is not getting fixed that way. I searched about ADE and i think it may work.

9 hours ago, zabri said:

Yeah, i thought that could be the problem because i had this runway problem with Dublin airport too & it got fixed when i disabled the MTX AFCAD of Dublin airport but Melbourne is not getting fixed that way. I searched about ADE and i think it may work.

The problem you have with Melbourne isn’t related to duplicate AFCADs in this case however. Melbourne simply does not have an ILS approach for runway 34 since it doesn’t exist in real life. It does have ILS for runway 16 however.

8 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

The problem you have with Melbourne isn’t related to duplicate AFCADs in this case however. Melbourne simply does not have an ILS approach for runway 34 since it doesn’t exist in real life. It does have ILS for runway 16 however.

You are right. Now i just need to assign all AI to land & take off from runway 16 instead of runway 34. I tried changing wind directions, weather, etc. Nothing seems to work. I installed ADE but getting confused on how to change runway assignments. I opened the Melbourne airport. Opened the runways as well as approaches list where i can find runway 34 is highlited with orange colour. I think it means that the runway is active. How do i change that to runway 16?

It has been my experience that with FSX, if there is a runway with an ILS approach, that runway becomes the only runway FSX will use, regardless of wind direction.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

11 hours ago, zabri said:

You are right. Now i just need to assign all AI to land & take off from runway 16 instead of runway 34. I tried changing wind directions, weather, etc. Nothing seems to work. I installed ADE but getting confused on how to change runway assignments. I opened the Melbourne airport. Opened the runways as well as approaches list where i can find runway 34 is highlited with orange colour. I think it means that the runway is active. How do i change that to runway 16?

As I mentioned in my oringal post, if you want the AI to only use 16/34 you’ll have to close the other runway using ADE for takeoffs/landings. Once it’s closed AI and yourself will only have the option to use 16 or 34 depending on the wind direction. Once you close the runways, recompile the AFCAD  and replace it wil the oringal one. I’d keep a copy of the oringal though in case you mess up.