Sign in to follow this  
xxd09

Disabling scenery

I note that in P3Dv4 disabling Scenery in the areas that you are not currently flying helps performance .This can be done within the sim easily-unticking Scenery boxes

Is this true for X Plane and if so how do you do it

Do you have to X Organiser ?

Newbie to Xplane Oldie to P3Dv4

Enjoy them both

xxd09

As I understand it, there is no equivalent in X-Plane, other than not installing any scenery at all, so you're just flying over open water.

The sim will dynamically load scenery for the area you are currently flying, including enough surrounding areas so you see prominent objects like mountains in the distance. It ignores surrounding scenery that you wouldn't be able to see, due to earth curvature.

Then you "filter" how much is shown in the visible scenery by adjusting the sliders and options in the Settings menu. Try reducing world objects, and it can also be a big help to reduce or eliminate shadows. 

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

This is not exactly true. You can re arrange and disable scenery with editing the scenery_packs.ini file.

To disable scenery, add _DISABLED, example:

for this airport:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LFBH tdg/
to disable it: 
SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/LFBH tdg/

You can also rearrange the scenery in this file. There are several guides how to do this.

As posted above, example of my own ini.

SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/------------------- Custom Airports US -------------------/
SCENERY_PACK D:\X-Plane Custom Scenery\US Airports\KSEA Boeing Country 10.5/
SCENERY_PACK D:\X-Plane Custom Scenery\US Airports\USA_FL_KMCO_Orlando International v1.0/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KBOS - Boston Logan International/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_KLAX_HD_Mesh/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/----------------------- Europe X ---------------------/
SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/simHeaven_X-Europe-1-extras/
SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/simHeaven_X-Europe-2-scenery/
SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/simHeaven_X-Europe-3-network/
SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/----------------------- Librarys ----------------------/
SCENERY_PACK C:\X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\MisterX_Library/

1 hour ago, soaring_penguin said:

This is not exactly true. You can re arrange and disable scenery with editing the scenery_packs.ini file.

To disable scenery, add _DISABLED, example:

for this airport:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LFBH tdg/
to disable it: 
SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/LFBH tdg/

You can also rearrange the scenery in this file. There are several guides how to do this.

Right, that's possible. The OP was asking if disabling scenery in areas you weren't currently flying over, would improve frame rates. To my knowledge, just disabling individual custom scenery packages in other areas won't do anything to improve frame rates. They're not being loaded at all, if you're not in the area.

Edit to add: This is why you can't scroll the internal map in the sim very far outside the plane's immediate area. 

Edited by Paraffin
  • Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I think disabling scenery as suggested above will just shorten how long XP takes to start and load to the main menu, not improve performance in sim in terms of FPS. 

To sum it up:

Loading times can benefit from removing or disabling scenerys (just lightly, though), framerate won´t, for most practical purposes.

You could construct some borderline situation, where a big big airport on an adjacent tile of scenery is loaded (while flying towards it) that is then ultimately never shown on screen (because you do a 180 and turn away from it again). This could cause a framerate reduction (stutter) during the loading process, depending on your system (multicore etc.).

You can certainly fool yourself and disable a bunch of scenery - load up the sim and compare framerates and then gloat that you are seeing an improvement. Well, most likely you have nuked something that isn´t showing anymore. In the end the hunt for framerate is diminishing returns. You can only optimize so far.

If you really want to do something for your framerate, look at something like this: Intel-Core-i9-9900K 🤑😂

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 12:08 PM, Glenn_C said:

As posted above, example of my own ini.

SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/------------------- Custom Airports US -------------------/
SCENERY_PACK D:\X-Plane Custom Scenery\US Airports\KSEA Boeing Country 10.5/
SCENERY_PACK D:\X-Plane Custom Scenery\US Airports\USA_FL_KMCO_Orlando International v1.0/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KBOS - Boston Logan International/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_KLAX_HD_Mesh/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/----------------------- Europe X ---------------------/
SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/simHeaven_X-Europe-1-extras/
SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/simHeaven_X-Europe-2-scenery/
SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/simHeaven_X-Europe-3-network/
SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/----------------------- Librarys ----------------------/
SCENERY_PACK C:\X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\MisterX_Library/

Good information to know!

John

Does unticking relevant boxes in XPlane Organiser do the trick?

If it would -it could be a lot easier than attaching.off to various files one wants to disable

xxd09

Really good information Jan!, I always look for your replies when I am searching for information on a particular issue that I may be having in xplane11. Just today, or should I say last nigth, (I have been up all night teaching myself how to fix my own created problems,LOL.) I downloaded the  xOrganizer program from the org, thinking that it would be my answer to all scenery order problems the easy way, ( and it is a pretty cool program) but after getting it all installed and playing with it and my custom scenery file order over and over again, I eventually had things so screwed up that when I went into my favorite Mackmell Fisheries'  flying area, and the Squamish BC. area,  I was sitting in my bell 407 in the middle of the  forest with no airstrip or helipad to be found anywhere!. Boy it took quite a bit of time to figure out what I had done wrong, but I eventually figured it out (manually, lots of ctl+c, and delete+, and ctl+v) after hours of trying different scenery layering orders in the scenery files. (You know, when you inadvertantly place a mesh over something else), I ended up deleting scenery that I had installed and re installed. Ha Ha  Now I am starting to really understand just how this scenery layering system can affect what things look like in the sim when you go to fly around somewhere. It never set in just reading about it in forum posts, until I actually spent the hours doing it for real today!   Fortunately I had made a backup copy of the original custom scenery .ini file and saved it, before doing any changes of any kind!

And now I was thinking that after getting all of that resolved, wheww,,,,that I could speed up the sim load time by disabling  some scenery and I ended up here. So after your explanation Im not going to waste the time disabling what few added sceneries' that I have installed.

With my i7 cpu and 1080 gpu I am not having problems with fps, but hoped to be able to have the actual sim start and load a little faster, but maybe it just is what it is, and will always take around 1 minute or longer to start each time. I just go get another cup of coffee or whatever when I push the start button LOL.  Anyway this topic has been helpful for me after my all night vigil. Probably have to take a nap later today. 😫This xplane thing is taking over my life!!  I cant get enough. Now my wife is starting to talk to me like a pilot. Ha  Think Im going to have to get some actual seat time in a helicopter this next summer when the weather gets better around here..........  will this ever end.  NO!!😁

Edited by AKflightsimmer
misspelling's

I too tried X Organiser and gave up

Everything now loads in X Plane and does not seem to take tool long especially compared to my P3Dv4 set up

I have non required scenery unticked in P3Dv4 as well

Admittedly I have less Addons in X Plane -so far!

I have found Thomas Rasmussen System (Video available) of allocating a letter to Scenery in X Plane very helpful in ordering the Addons 

ie Airport files get preceded by adding “a” to the file 

“o” for Libraries and “z” for Mesh etc

One tip . Don’t precede Orbyx Scenery with any letter or FSX Central cannot see the Scenery for Updates 

xxd09