Sign in to follow this  
pilot10112

PMDG 747-8 expansion vs CS 757

Hi all, I have been looking for an aircraft at a reasonable price point to buy along with chase plane. The two I have decided are the PMDG 747-8 or the CS 757 base pack. I know the prices are very similar but I am torn. If I could get some info on why to buy and which one and why that would be great. Thanks!!!

Simon S.

Do you already own the PMDG 747-400?  The -8 is an expansion and if you don't already own the -400, then you're looking about about $200 instead of $70.  If yo do own it though, I would hands down say the -8 over the CS 757.  CS aircraft usually look good and have a semi functional ability to use the systems, but you need to nurse them due to bugs/shortcomings.  The PMDG birds act like the real one, so you can concentrate on flying, not how to work around a bug. 

• Like 1

Eric Szczesniak

5 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

Do you already own the PMDG 747-400?  The -8 is an expansion and if you don't already own the -400, then you're looking about about $200 instead of $70.  If yo do own it though, I would hands down say the -8 over the CS 757.  CS aircraft usually look good and have a semi functional ability to use the systems, but you need to nurse them due to bugs/shortcomings.  The PMDG birds act like the real one, so you can concentrate on flying, not how to work around a bug. 

Yes I do have the PMDG 747-400 base. I do not have chaseplane and am buying it with either of these aircraft. The cabin on the CS seems very nice. I am also a fan of flying real world routes something I know the 748 is limited to because not many operate it. 

I hate to do this, 757 is got lots of bugs, FMC auto pilot VNAV etc. Just an example out of JFk to EWR with a 4000 FT level off the autopilot just busted the altitude by over 700 FT.

Yes it looks very nice, no question about but when you gonna learn the systems and have an understanding of what should happen and actually what it does you will be surprised.

Regarding the 748 you can fly any real world route you want (short or long) your imagination is the limit. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rb0zy4e8qul9vix/BUST.JPG?dl=0

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

3 minutes ago, killthespam said:

I hate to do this, 757 is got lots of bugs, FMC auto pilot VNAV etc. Just an example out of JFk to EWR with a 4000 FT level off the autopilot just busted the altitude by over 700 FT.

Yes it looks very nice, no question about but when you gonna learn the systems and have an understanding of what should happen and actually what it does you will be surprised.

Regarding the 748 you can fly any real world route you want (short or long) your imagination is the limit. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rb0zy4e8qul9vix/BUST.JPG?dl=0

Ok thank you so much for the info and insight.

Thank you all for all the help, it has been of great use. I have decided to go with the 747-8 and will eventually get the CS 757 when they fix more of the bugs. 

Thanks!!!

Simon S.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pilot10112 said:

Thank you all for all the help, it has been of great use. I have decided to go with the 747-8 and will eventually get the CS 757 when they fix more of the bugs. 

Thanks!!!

Simon S.

If...

Captain Sim does not have a great record of actually fixing their bugs and making a complete product.  They usually stop at something akin to an early beta product you'd see from the bigger developers. 

We could use a good 757.  If the Level-D ever surfaces, or PMDG goes ahead. 

Eric Szczesniak

In its short life, the CS 757 has had six updates so far.

55 minutes ago, nolonger said:

In its short life, the CS 757 has had six updates so far.

Yes, pardon my cynacism, but they released a third version of the 757 you have to buy all over again without ever cleaning up the last two versions to a reliable and flyable state. They take your money for half finished products promising service packs. Then they do a handful, but it peters out and major bugs remain. 

Eric Szczesniak

I have the -8 and only use the F, I do short hops all the time. From cargo hub to hub.

It's a great addon and worth the money. I also am not into long-haul so never fly the pax version.

• Upvote 3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

If you're a stickler for real world flight schedules Atlas Air and UPS has several 747-8 and 400 trips less then 5 or 6 hours. UPS has a hopp from KSDF to KMSP. Atlas has many short repositioning hop under two hours. Besides, there's always time compress. Unrealistic but an option.

Capt Sim and PMDG are not even in the same league. Like comparing NFL to Jr. High teams.

• Upvote 2

Vic green

I also am not into long-haul so never fly the pax version

I assume that you are only interested in flying real world routes?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

32 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

Capt Sim and PMDG are not even in the same league. Like comparing NFL to Jr. High teams.

Probably not but the Captain Sim 757 is a complete redevelopment and costs much less than the 747.

It may not be perfect down to the last virtual rivet but nor does it deserve all these put downs.

I really like the PMDG 747, it is certainly my favourite airliner but I agree that it is not a like for like comparison with the CS 757.

Edited by nolonger

41 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I assume that you are only interested in flying real world routes?

I Fly them all the time for my VA's. BA-Ryanair-EasyJet. etc.

But for the -8F I can just do hops. My local Airport EGNX is now the biggest cargo hub in the UK (a guy who works there told me its overtaken EGLL)

So I do EGNX-EGLL around 25% full

EGLL- EDDK 60-70% full

EDDK-LIME 85ish full

LIME-LEBL 95-100 full

Return....

Fun and different. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip