Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

The memory kit NO ONE deserves

I was hesitant to repost: It's like having to tell the same joke again because your friend didn't get it the first time, but here it is.

• Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I found it to be humorous and now I'm in before the lock!

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

No need to lock!  This will fade away like the same post over at SOH.  As of now, both have the same number of replies.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

17 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I was hesitant to repost: It's like having to tell the same joke again because your friend didn't get it the first time, but here it is.

To most people, the notion of a gold RAM module kit might seem like something to cringe at. But you know what, I think if I were in the market for RAM I might be swayed. There are some of course that have no desire to build a rig with fancy aesthetics, preferring to concentrate on the power of the hardware and the end result. They have so much cable clutter in their rigs it would make me cringe. Some of us though freak out at an ugly interior. Not all of us are just into performance and zero aesthetics.

I'd go for silver though I recon. Would reflect other lighting in the PC.

I still get a chuckle from that pic... the look of wonderment, the shiny new stick of RAM!  Ain't marketing just grand!

Greg

Some of us here probably remember when all computers were beige.....

Then came the "Novelty" which eventually became the norm, of black computers.....

Then black computers with windows, then lighting to take advantage of those windows.

And the lighting has gotten more and more glitzy as time has gone on, until now even the ram-sticks must proclaim their kitchiness to the world. 🤩

Meanwhile, I've changed as well: celebrating the demise of the beige case and the first arrivals of bling, then as I got older, getting more conservative and while still preferring black, I liked my cases to be mainly featureless: like the monolith from 2001 A Space odyssey.

Strangely, I seem drifting back to being a full-on bling-monster, and I find these ram-sticks kind of attractive.

If they were not as expensive as they look, I could see myself buying them.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Oh yes, the beige case. There was a time when I wouldn't look at anything other than a beige case with PSU at the top.

Now.... if it isn't black with a nice glass panel to show off my fancy motherboard and custom cables I'm not interested. 🙂

I still have a couple of beige computers lying around.  I was installing a beige shipping NEC computer in this company HQ in 1989 and saw these everywhere in the building. It looked incredible back then (1988).

10_stevejobs-5210485.jpgnextstation2.jpg  

Edited by TuFun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Oh yes, the beige case. There was a time when I wouldn't look at anything other than a beige case with PSU at the top.

😁What memories!

6 hours ago, TuFun said:

I still have a couple of beige computers lying around.  I was installing a beige shipping NEC computer in this company HQ in 1989 and saw these everywhere in the building. It looked incredible back then (1988).

10_stevejobs-5210485.jpgnextstation2.jpg  

I kinda think black computers may have even started with NEXT.

Devons rig

I remember beige cases and monitors that did not display black and white, but displayed black and green.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

2 hours ago, stans said:

I remember beige cases and monitors that did not display black and white, but displayed black and green.

Or..... this. 🤢

903799-eggerland-3-dos-screenshot-setup-

Devons rig