PATCO LCH

Monitor shopping. Help me out friends!

Recommended Posts

Can't decide between getting  a 32" or a 27" curved screen for P3DV4. I want a larger screen then my 8 year old 22" Acer since I find myself leaning in more and more to read my cockpit screens. (Aging eyes). Consider I sit at a desk with my face about three feet from the screen so I wonder if the 32" HP IPS would be a bit overwhelming at that distance. Does anyone have a like set up? Also could anyone tell me if using a curved screen in any way distorts or negatively affects P3D. Does a large 32 " screen diminish resolution?

Been on line shopping all day and had to consult my AVSIM buds before deciding. Leaning toward the 27" HP27B with a curved screen.

Thanks for helping me choose my Christmas present. I order it and the wife gives it to me.🤶

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Vic

You will get endless opinions on monitor size and type,  Its very much a personal thing.  

I use a 27 Inch Dell Ultra-sharp monitor,  Resolution of  2560 x 1440.  I love it,  Its really crisp and clear and have no regrets.   I have no Interest in 4k,  Personally speaking I don't see much of a  difference between my current monitor and 4k

If I was buying an upgrade I would get the 30 Inch  (Not curved) Dell Ultra Sharp,  Its over a thousand pound though 😞 So it will be a while yet    30 Inch Dell Ultra Sharp

This is the exact Monitor I have now 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016YLO9G4/ref=pe_385721_140927991_TE_dp_1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Vic,

I've just ordered a BenQ UHD 32" monitor this evening. That has a resolution of 3840*2160. It will replace a 32" Sony TV with a resolution of 1920*1080.

I also sit around 3ft away from my screen and 32" is absolutely fine. I've had the Sony for 5 years so if it was too large I would know by now.

I'm not a lover of curved displays but each to their own. What is the resolution of that monitor? I'm guessing it will have a vertical resolution of 1440 which is 30% higher than 1080. But I think you should go larger and consider a 32" display. The extra immersion will make flying more enjoyable.

The larger the screen for any given resolution the lower the number of pixels per inch (ppi). You don't say what graphics card you have. That is very important when considering a change of monitor. A 1080 or faster can run a UHD display (like mine) but anything slower will struggle and you may find a XHD resolution of 2560*1440 on a 16:9 27" is a good compromise.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you so much for the reply Elaine. I'm really curious about the effect curved screens have on aircraft instrumentation or any other potential distortion in P3D.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, PATCO LCH said:

I'm really curious about the effect curved screens have on aircraft instrumentation or any other potential distortion in P3D.

Wouldn't it be great if developers could keep the panel relatively flat, and at the same time wrap around the peripheral cockpit elements and the external scenery!

 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Vic,

I've just ordered a BenQ UHD 32" monitor this evening. That has a resolution of 3840*2160. It will replace a 32" Sony TV with a resolution of 1920*1080.

I also sit around 3ft away from my screen and 32" is absolutely fine. I've had the Sony for 5 years so if it was too large I would know by now.

I'm not a lover of curved displays but each to their own. What is the resolution of that monitor? I'm guessing it will have a vertical resolution of 1440 which is 30% higher than 1080. But I think you should go larger and consider a 32" display. The extra immersion will make flying more enjoyable.

The larger the screen for any given resolution the lower the number of pixels per inch (ppi). You don't say what graphics card you have. That is very important when considering a change of monitor. A 1080 or faster can run a UHD display (like mine) but anything slower will struggle and you may find a XHD resolution of 2560*1440 on a 16:9 27" is a good compromise.

Hello Ray,

I have a GE Force GTX1070 graphics card so I guess I should seek the lower specs. So would you advise I stick with the 27" for a better resolution? The only reason I was interested in the curved screen is if it would give a bit of a 3D feel.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Poppet said:

I was looking at the monitor myself as my 9 year old LCD is starting to flicker and make all kinds of weird designs on the screen while idle.

i noticed that the response time is 6-8 ms on that monitor. My current Samsung is 5ms. I’ve read that going under 5ms is better but not sure if 6-8ms would be a noticeably worse difference?

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

Hello Ray,

I have a GE Force GTX1070 graphics card so I guess I should seek the lower specs. So would you advise I stick with the 27" for a better resolution? The only reason I was interested in the curved screen is if it would give a bit of a 3D feel.

Hi Vic, the 2560*1440 resolution would be a good match for your 1070. You should probably try to look at a curved monitor before committing yourself just so you’re happy with it.

I’m not sure if those curved displays are 16:9 or wider. There aren’t many curved displays so you could be limited in your choice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

Thank you so much for the reply Elaine. I'm really curious about the effect curved screens have on aircraft instrumentation or any other potential distortion in P3D.

I have a LG curved monitor. Not noticeable effects on any parts of the aircraft or in P3D in general, the curvature is very subtle. I like it very much. My only regret is not having bought the bigger size (34 inches).

Cheers, Ed

 

Share this post


Link to post

I have an Acer Predator X34 that I sit a few feet away from (3440 x 1440) and I find no problems at all with guages or the curve of the screen in general.  It fills my peripheral vision well which helps with immersion I find.  I drive it from a Asus 980Ti Strix without any problems.

Graham

Share this post


Link to post

I've just landed a Samsung 40" 4k tv. It's perfect as it's just big enough to be slightly oversize without it being too big.

I did my research at Cosford FS show and I found no benefit from curved opposed to flat and also so no performance difference between a good TV and monitor that you would see.

Tv's are cheaper than monitors in the larger size and just because it can do UHD resolutions doesn't mean you can't use it in 1080 HD until later you get graphics Card that will run UHD, although my 1070 just ran pmdg737 at uk2000 Stansted, at night with dynamic lighting on and ultimate traffic live in full UHD and I was getting 9fps at worst and 15 best.

I would buy a Tv and have many options!

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I was looking at the monitor myself as my 9 year old LCD is starting to flicker and make all kinds of weird designs on the screen while idle.

i noticed that the response time is 6-8 ms on that monitor. My current Samsung is 5ms. I’ve read that going under 5ms is better but not sure if 6-8ms would be a noticeably worse difference?

When I first started looking at monitors I spent months trying to figure out a balance of price + bells & whistles.  I was up to my eyes in "Response time" reviews and topics. 

At the end of the day I was looking way to much into it,  I never notice a thing with the response time,  I use Prepar3D, After effects, and some fast games

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder if a 1080p resolution would look grainy with my card. Any opinions? With a 32" HP I'm looking at. It's an HDMI 5ms. That's 1920*1080

Edited by PATCO LCH

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

I wonder if a 1080p resolution would look grainy with my card. Any opinions? With a 32" HP I'm looking at. It's an HDMI 5ms.

 Vic, the card is immaterial. It’s the size, resolution and how close you are to the display that counts. I do find cockpit gauges are not as sharp as I would like on a 1920*1080 32” but external views of the ground look fine.

At 3840*2160 everything will look pin sharp but it requires a 1080 Ti minimum. I think you’ll find a 2560*1440 27” or perhaps 30” will be fine.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you Ray. At the end of the day it's the cockpit instrumentation that counts. Guess I'll keep looking but don't want black firday to pass me up.

Share this post


Link to post

I moved from 27 @ Full HD to a 55 curved @ 4k which gives me roughly the same pixel size, but 4 times more area. It sits the same distance, the same 3 feet you told and I consider it perfect. It's not close enough to sense the individual pixels and the aircraft pane gets pretty much the same size as the real counterpart. Considering I sit in the center of it the fact of being curved is a plus. I'm really pleased.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Poppet said:

use a 27 Inch Dell Ultra-sharp monitor,  Resolution of  2560 x 1440.  I love it,  Its really crisp and clear and have no regrets.   I have no Interest in 4k,  Personally speaking I don't see much of a  difference between my current monitor and 4k

Ditto here

Share this post


Link to post

Agree with Rick & Elaine unless you have a 1080ti > around 28" and a good quality screen is the way to go.

I have a high quality 28" but 1080x1920. Its great and P3D is a lot kinder at that res than 4k. 30 FPS with DL ON, runs smooth as can be. Give me a 2080Ti and I might then go for 4K.

 

Edited by Nyxx

Share this post


Link to post

 

I use a Sony Bravia XE70 (4K - 43" 108 cm). The image is neat, cristal clear. One of the buys I never regretted so, yes, I recommend it.

Share this post


Link to post

Count me in on the 40+ inch crowd.  I have a 42-in Samsung 4K TV about 14-in from my nose when I'm hand flying in IMC and it is beautiful.  I've played with 30 Hz and various display settings but currently I'm most happy with 60 Hz screen and P3D set to 4xMSAA 24 fps frame rate lock no Vsync.  Settings vary with configuration.

Edited by downscc

Share this post


Link to post

I think my seating position is rather similar to yours (approx 3 feet away)

I use an "all round" Philips 4k 32 inch monitor with IPS-panel. It is def. not made for FPS gaming but it mops the floor with my previous 40 inch 4K curved VA-panel from Samsung. That one had terrible ghosting artifacts when you panned around in the virtual cockpit.

I am very satisfied with my monitor. The GPU probably will not be. 😋 , since it will have to process way more pixels. Dynamic light and Sparse grid anti-aliasing - use them with caution. Same with reShade and Tomatoshade presets (some of them will be extremely taxing on your GPU).


Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I opted for a DELL 27"LED Free Sync Gaming Monitor 1920x1080 TN AMD,2ms. I looked at the 2560x1440 and they were a little above budget for the time being. I choose the 27" figuring on sharper resolution and desk space consideration. I went with flat screen being unsure if I would like the curved screen. I think I got a good deal at $199. Should be an improvement over my old 22" Acer.

Thanks for the advice as what I read here was instrumental in my choice. Maybe next year a new yoke and quadrant. I wish Honeycomb would release theirs. Looks like nice hardware for the price point.

Cheers all!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now