Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

Monitor shopping. Help me out friends!

Can't decide between getting  a 32" or a 27" curved screen for P3DV4. I want a larger screen then my 8 year old 22" Acer since I find myself leaning in more and more to read my cockpit screens. (Aging eyes). Consider I sit at a desk with my face about three feet from the screen so I wonder if the 32" HP IPS would be a bit overwhelming at that distance. Does anyone have a like set up? Also could anyone tell me if using a curved screen in any way distorts or negatively affects P3D. Does a large 32 " screen diminish resolution?

Been on line shopping all day and had to consult my AVSIM buds before deciding. Leaning toward the 27" HP27B with a curved screen.

Thanks for helping me choose my Christmas present. I order it and the wife gives it to me.🤶

Vic green

Hello Vic

You will get endless opinions on monitor size and type,  Its very much a personal thing.  

I use a 27 Inch Dell Ultra-sharp monitor,  Resolution of  2560 x 1440.  I love it,  Its really crisp and clear and have no regrets.   I have no Interest in 4k,  Personally speaking I don't see much of a  difference between my current monitor and 4k

If I was buying an upgrade I would get the 30 Inch  (Not curved) Dell Ultra Sharp,  Its over a thousand pound though 😞 So it will be a while yet    30 Inch Dell Ultra Sharp

This is the exact Monitor I have now 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016YLO9G4/ref=pe_385721_140927991_TE_dp_1

• Like 1

Vic,

I've just ordered a BenQ UHD 32" monitor this evening. That has a resolution of 3840*2160. It will replace a 32" Sony TV with a resolution of 1920*1080.

I also sit around 3ft away from my screen and 32" is absolutely fine. I've had the Sony for 5 years so if it was too large I would know by now.

I'm not a lover of curved displays but each to their own. What is the resolution of that monitor? I'm guessing it will have a vertical resolution of 1440 which is 30% higher than 1080. But I think you should go larger and consider a 32" display. The extra immersion will make flying more enjoyable.

The larger the screen for any given resolution the lower the number of pixels per inch (ppi). You don't say what graphics card you have. That is very important when considering a change of monitor. A 1080 or faster can run a UHD display (like mine) but anything slower will struggle and you may find a XHD resolution of 2560*1440 on a 16:9 27" is a good compromise.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thank you so much for the reply Elaine. I'm really curious about the effect curved screens have on aircraft instrumentation or any other potential distortion in P3D.

Vic green

Just now, PATCO LCH said:

I'm really curious about the effect curved screens have on aircraft instrumentation or any other potential distortion in P3D.

Wouldn't it be great if developers could keep the panel relatively flat, and at the same time wrap around the peripheral cockpit elements and the external scenery!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Vic,

I've just ordered a BenQ UHD 32" monitor this evening. That has a resolution of 3840*2160. It will replace a 32" Sony TV with a resolution of 1920*1080.

I also sit around 3ft away from my screen and 32" is absolutely fine. I've had the Sony for 5 years so if it was too large I would know by now.

I'm not a lover of curved displays but each to their own. What is the resolution of that monitor? I'm guessing it will have a vertical resolution of 1440 which is 30% higher than 1080. But I think you should go larger and consider a 32" display. The extra immersion will make flying more enjoyable.

The larger the screen for any given resolution the lower the number of pixels per inch (ppi). You don't say what graphics card you have. That is very important when considering a change of monitor. A 1080 or faster can run a UHD display (like mine) but anything slower will struggle and you may find a XHD resolution of 2560*1440 on a 16:9 27" is a good compromise.

Hello Ray,

I have a GE Force GTX1070 graphics card so I guess I should seek the lower specs. So would you advise I stick with the 27" for a better resolution? The only reason I was interested in the curved screen is if it would give a bit of a 3D feel.

Vic green

30 minutes ago, Poppet said:

I was looking at the monitor myself as my 9 year old LCD is starting to flicker and make all kinds of weird designs on the screen while idle.

i noticed that the response time is 6-8 ms on that monitor. My current Samsung is 5ms. I’ve read that going under 5ms is better but not sure if 6-8ms would be a noticeably worse difference?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

13 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

Hello Ray,

I have a GE Force GTX1070 graphics card so I guess I should seek the lower specs. So would you advise I stick with the 27" for a better resolution? The only reason I was interested in the curved screen is if it would give a bit of a 3D feel.

Hi Vic, the 2560*1440 resolution would be a good match for your 1070. You should probably try to look at a curved monitor before committing yourself just so you’re happy with it.

I’m not sure if those curved displays are 16:9 or wider. There aren’t many curved displays so you could be limited in your choice.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

39 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

Thank you so much for the reply Elaine. I'm really curious about the effect curved screens have on aircraft instrumentation or any other potential distortion in P3D.

I have a LG curved monitor. Not noticeable effects on any parts of the aircraft or in P3D in general, the curvature is very subtle. I like it very much. My only regret is not having bought the bigger size (34 inches).

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I have an Acer Predator X34 that I sit a few feet away from (3440 x 1440) and I find no problems at all with guages or the curve of the screen in general.  It fills my peripheral vision well which helps with immersion I find.  I drive it from a Asus 980Ti Strix without any problems.

Graham

I've just landed a Samsung 40" 4k tv. It's perfect as it's just big enough to be slightly oversize without it being too big.

I did my research at Cosford FS show and I found no benefit from curved opposed to flat and also so no performance difference between a good TV and monitor that you would see.

Tv's are cheaper than monitors in the larger size and just because it can do UHD resolutions doesn't mean you can't use it in 1080 HD until later you get graphics Card that will run UHD, although my 1070 just ran pmdg737 at uk2000 Stansted, at night with dynamic lighting on and ultimate traffic live in full UHD and I was getting 9fps at worst and 15 best.

I would buy a Tv and have many options!

48 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I was looking at the monitor myself as my 9 year old LCD is starting to flicker and make all kinds of weird designs on the screen while idle.

i noticed that the response time is 6-8 ms on that monitor. My current Samsung is 5ms. I’ve read that going under 5ms is better but not sure if 6-8ms would be a noticeably worse difference?

When I first started looking at monitors I spent months trying to figure out a balance of price + bells & whistles.  I was up to my eyes in "Response time" reviews and topics. 

At the end of the day I was looking way to much into it,  I never notice a thing with the response time,  I use Prepar3D, After effects, and some fast games

I wonder if a 1080p resolution would look grainy with my card. Any opinions? With a 32" HP I'm looking at. It's an HDMI 5ms. That's 1920*1080

Edited by PATCO LCH

Vic green

2 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

I wonder if a 1080p resolution would look grainy with my card. Any opinions? With a 32" HP I'm looking at. It's an HDMI 5ms.

Vic, the card is immaterial. It’s the size, resolution and how close you are to the display that counts. I do find cockpit gauges are not as sharp as I would like on a 1920*1080 32” but external views of the ground look fine.

At 3840*2160 everything will look pin sharp but it requires a 1080 Ti minimum. I think you’ll find a 2560*1440 27” or perhaps 30” will be fine.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thank you Ray. At the end of the day it's the cockpit instrumentation that counts. Guess I'll keep looking but don't want black firday to pass me up.

Vic green