Sign in to follow this  
severniae

PMDG 747-8

Hi,

I have MCE and wanted to know, does it support the latest PMDG product, the expansion to QOTS2 - the 747-8?

Many thanks,

James

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

17 hours ago, severniae said:

Hi,

I have MCE and wanted to know, does it support the latest PMDG product, the expansion to QOTS2 - the 747-8?

Many thanks,

James

Haven't tested it myself against the new expansion -8, but MCE already supports PMSG 747 QOTS using its SDK.

Unless the SDK has changed dramatically, we expect the FO to equally handle the -8 series, at least when it comes to overhead, pedestal and auto-pilot panels. Make sure you have the latest MCE version

Maybe the new built-in ECL will need custom handling as it doesn't exist in the 400 series.

In any case, give us some feedback on it, and if required some work will be done on the new expansion.

On 11/24/2018 at 5:52 PM, FS++ said:

Haven't tested it myself against the new expansion -8, but MCE already supports PMSG 747 QOTS using its SDK.

Unless the SDK has changed dramatically, we expect the FO to equally handle the -8 series, at least when it comes to overhead, pedestal and auto-pilot panels. Make sure you have the latest MCE version

Maybe the new built-in ECL will need custom handling as it doesn't exist in the 400 series.

In any case, give us some feedback on it, and if required some work will be done on the new expansion.

Hi Gerald,

Ok so I've finally gotten around to trying the 747-8f with MCE after a few weeks working in the -400f!

On the whole most things work as before, there are a few parts of the flows/checks that are different, but largely it seems this can be gotten around by editing the flow in question etc..

You are quite right regarding the ECL - it doesn't seem to handle it at all so I suspect it'll need some functionality developing, also the eicas controls are different in the 747-8 (for instance the flight controls screen has been moved to it's own menu)

Also the controls for the packs are no longer a rotary but are now a push button, so MCE doesn't seem to quite know what to do with them (from what i observed when it should have set them it pressed them twice.

I'm sure there are a couple of other things that I haven't found yet, but those are the main items I've noticed so far - going to give it another go tomorrow evening so may have a little more to report. I'll be as specific as I can, but I use a VR for simming so it's difficult to make notes during flight.

Many thanks and all the best,

James

James W

So did another test flight last night - only one other thing noticed so far: 

I just couldn't convince the F/O to lower the gear on approach, I had to do it myself (lazy git!) - I wonder if its because the gear lever is different in the -8, in that its only up/down rather than up/off/down. 

James W

1 hour ago, severniae said:

So did another test flight last night - only one other thing noticed so far: 

I just couldn't convince the F/O to lower the gear on approach, I had to do it myself (lazy git!) - I wonder if its because the gear lever is different in the -8, in that its only up/down rather than up/off/down. 

No, more likely the issue is with speed extension limit.

In that case Fo will question your decision. If you confirm, he should extend it anyway.

Could you post the {fltsim.0] section only in "aircraft.cfg" file for the 747-8 variants.

Thanks.

Sorry it took so long, only just got back into it after the festive break.

Here is is:

[fltsim.0] 
title=PMDG 747-8F PMDG House (N748PF | 2018)
sim=B747-8F
model=
panel=
sound=GEnx
texture=pmdg
atc_airline=PMDG
atc_id=N748PF
atc_flight_number=748
atc_model=747-8
atc_heavy=1
atc_parking_types=GATE,RAMP
atc_type=BOEING
ui_createdby=PMDG
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_type=747-8F V3
ui_typerole=747-8F V3
ui_variation=PMDG House (N748PF | 2018)
description=Boeing 747-8 Freighter powered by General Electric GEnx-2B67 engines.\nPMDG Simulations\nwww.pmdg.com \n\nProduced under license from Boeing Management Company.\n\nBoeing 747, 747-400, 747-8, 747-8F & Boeing are among the trademarks owned by Boeing.
visual_damage=0

Edited by severniae

James W

11 hours ago, severniae said:

Sorry it took so long, only just got back into it after the festive break.

Here is is:

[fltsim.0] 
title=PMDG 747-8F PMDG House (N748PF | 2018)
sim=B747-8F
model=
panel=
sound=GEnx
texture=pmdg
atc_airline=PMDG
atc_id=N748PF
atc_flight_number=748
atc_model=747-8
atc_heavy=1
atc_parking_types=GATE,RAMP
atc_type=BOEING
ui_createdby=PMDG
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_type=747-8F V3
ui_typerole=747-8F V3
ui_variation=PMDG House (N748PF | 2018)
description=Boeing 747-8 Freighter powered by General Electric GEnx-2B67 engines.\nPMDG Simulations\nwww.pmdg.com \n\nProduced under license from Boeing Management Company.\n\nBoeing 747, 747-400, 747-8, 747-8F & Boeing are among the trademarks owned by Boeing.
visual_damage=0

Thanks.

Go to \Multi Crew Experience\Reference\ folder.

Copy file "B747-400F_ref.txt" and paste it into same folder, then rename it to "B747-8F_ref.txt"

Open the newly created dedicated reference file for this aircraft type and adjust speeds according to aircraft manual. VLO (maximum speed for gear operation up or down) and VLE (speed not to exceed when gear is down.

Thanks, will do this next time I boot the sim up.

Will keep testing to see if there are any other things that need setting up, so far the most annoying one is the packs switches (I keep having to re-do them for the F/o! 😉 )

James W

20 minutes ago, severniae said:

Thanks, will do this next time I boot the sim up.

Will keep testing to see if there are any other things that need setting up, so far the most annoying one is the packs switches (I keep having to re-do them for the F/o! 😉 )

My bad, actually, the 2 required files "B747-8I_ref.txt" and "B747-8F_ref.txt" should already be in place.

Therefore it's just a matter of ensuring VLO and VLE are correct, as the existing files are copies of the 400 version..

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for the above, I went in and chacked the figures and they were actually already correct. I did a flight last night and it would seem that the F/O just ignores me when asking for 'gear down' - he doesn't say anything, and also after takeoff he raised the gear then lowered it again..So I'm presuming its something to do with the changed gear lever in the 747-8...?

James W

17 hours ago, severniae said:

@FS++ Hi Gerald, any news on the above? Happy to do any testing you'd need me to do.

All the best,

James

Thanks.

Looks like the best course of action is to acquire the -8 extension for FSX. Won't be buying twice (for P3D) though. Therefore, you're welcome to test on P3D V4, once changes that take into account the -8 series are made.

It will take a few weeks though, as MaddogX, CS 757 as well as SSG 170 EVO (X-Plane)are grabbing attention this week.

2 minutes ago, FS++ said:

Thanks.

Looks like the best course of action is to acquire the -8 extension for FSX. Won't be buying twice (for P3D) though. Therefore, you're welcome to test on P3D V4, once changes that take into account the -8 series are made.

It will take a few weeks though, as MaddogX, CS 757 as well as SSG 170 EVO (X-Plane)are grabbing attention this week.

Thanks Gerald, Yes happy to test on V4 for you, just let me know what specifically to test and I'll produce you a report.

Best,

James

James W

On 1/15/2019 at 10:46 AM, severniae said:

Thanks Gerald, Yes happy to test on V4 for you, just let me know what specifically to test and I'll produce you a report.

Best,

James

Have a go at the latest version and we'll take it from there.

Thanks Gerald - computer is in bits at the moment, so will give it a test soon as I've got it all back together.

James W