Sign in to follow this  
vismx

I keep getting lag spikes with sound crackling

Hello, 

I keep getting fps spikes (60 fps to 14 fps), and exactly when it happens I also get sound crackling. Its gotten so annoying especially in the VC and I really cannot stand it anymore. This activity has been going on for a solid month and I've tried basically all the "fixes" and still cant get it to stop.

My system:

Intel i5 8600k @5ghz

gtx 1070 Ti

16gb 3000 ddr4 ram

kingston ssd 500gb

add ons:

REX 4

ORBX FTX GLOBAL

ORBX FTX North America

UT live

some airport scenery

Sounds like a bad overclock or a poorly configured system....

would start by understanding it as a hardware or software issue. I do this by using a utility called RealBench. Run the utility "benchmark" 4 or 5 times in succession to see if you can replicate the cracking/popping sound. If you hear it or the system crashes then you'd probably want to start on with your hardware.  If everything is good then your p3d install might be suspect ...might be suspect anyway (because of your hardware)..

• Upvote 1

Could also be your sound driver.  The way that sound works in ESP, it's tied directly into performance.

Best wishes!

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, FunknNasty said:

Sounds like a bad overclock or a poorly configured system....

would start by understanding it as a hardware or software issue. I do this by using a utility called RealBench. Run the utility "benchmark" 4 or 5 times in succession to see if you can replicate the cracking/popping sound. If you hear it or the system crashes then you'd probably want to start on with your hardware.  If everything is good then your p3d install might be suspect ...might be suspect anyway (because of your hardware)..

Yup, it was my hardware. I set the GPU clock down a little bit. I then also made my core clock 4.7Ghz instead of 5 and now its running smoothly.

Thank you so much for the help!

1 hour ago, JRS182 said:

Are you using norton internet security by any chance?

No

9 hours ago, kristolz said:

You could also run this software, to figure out which driver is potentially making your system hang from time to time:

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

I use it often to diagnose audio issues on critical on air radio systems

Ok I’ll give it a try

It's funny, but I grappled with the same sound crackling problem on my P3D v4 system, vismix discribed, for a short period of time.

After some research on www. and trial and error with the indispensable (at least for me) Tool "Process Lasso" I found out, that my system doesn't like to run Prepar3D.exe on priority level "normal" .

Forcing the exe process via Process Lasso on level higher at least, let the sound crackling vanish immediately; putting it back on "no level/automatic" (normal) and it comes back like pressing the wrong button.

But this makes sense because Windows is not a real time operating system, and with raising the priority level of your flightsim process you command to "Windows: This is your first thing you have to do and do it faster." 

But be careful: hands off from the highest level "real time operations" ---> it can cause certain instabilities! With >higher< or >high<  I've never had any perceptible issues; but you may know this ruses already.

Just fix Prepar3D.exe on a thread level above normal and listen what happens.

Cheers, Konrad.

Edited by KBUR
English is NOT my mother tongue.

Just curious, for the OP, is this all aircraft or only certain individual add-ons?

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

On 1/12/2019 at 10:32 PM, CaptKornDog said:

Just curious, for the OP, is this all aircraft or only certain individual add-ons?

It’s for all aircraft. Although I seemed to have found a cure. I have to go into the bios settings and then exit the bios setting every time I want to use p3d. It’s very annoying but it works.

31 minutes ago, vismx said:

It’s for all aircraft. Although I seemed to have found a cure. I have to go into the bios settings and then exit the bios setting every time I want to use p3d. It’s very annoying but it works.

I smell gpu issues in the near future.

Matt Wilson

6 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

I smell gpu issues in the near future.

So should I get a more powerful gpu or ?????

54 minutes ago, vismx said:

So should I get a more powerful gpu or ?????

If it’s still under warranty I would consider sending it in.  Or buy a new one from a reputable retailer with a good return policy to test.

Matt Wilson

On 11/26/2018 at 6:00 AM, KBUR said:

It's funny, but I grappled with the same sound crackling problem on my P3D v4 system, vismix discribed, for a short period of time.

After some research on www. and trial and error with the indispensable (at least for me) Tool "Process Lasso" I found out, that my system doesn't like to run Prepar3D.exe on priority level "normal" .

Forcing the exe process via Process Lasso on level higher at least, let the sound crackling vanish immediately; putting it back on "no level/automatic" (normal) and it comes back like pressing the wrong button.

But this makes sense because Windows is not a real time operating system, and with raising the priority level of your flightsim process you command to "Windows: This is your first thing you have to do and do it faster." 

But be careful: hands off from the highest level "real time operations" ---> it can cause certain instabilities! With >higher< or >high<  I've never had any perceptible issues; but you may know this ruses already.

Just fix Prepar3D.exe on a thread level above normal and listen what happens.

Cheers, Konrad.

I have just spent so much time trying to work out why my sounds were popping, lagging etc and seemed to be getting worse the longer my computer was on!

Turns out P3D didn't like having bitsum and P3D set as highest priority, set it to 'nprmal', touch wood, no more sound issues, switch it back to highestg, sound issue straight away!

Thanks for you input!