Sign in to follow this  
Gizmo05

Rex Skyforce 3D

Hi All,

I am in interested in purchasing the Rex Skyforce 3D but i already have Active Sky cloud art and REX soft clouds. Will the REX SF make a huge difference in the sim or what i have is good enough? Your honesty and unbiased thoughts and opinions would be appreciated to make a decision.

Thank you

Regards

I loved REX Soft clouds. I used AS & ASCA but preferred Solf clouds.

Now I used SF I use it with AS-ASCA with ENVTEX for sky colour only. I've never seen cloud formations as I do with SF and the clouds are like Soft clouds. Its all about the formations SF brings. Turn off there WX. 

Some people prefer AS with ASCA but personly I find the look harsh and when you have used Soft clouds I want that soft cloud look. SF brings all that and formations that really make all the difference. Also overcast for me looks amazing with no FPS hit and when you're under full overcast the clouds can be all dark and foreboding until you fly through and break out and then you have a full overcast under you, wonderful.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I agree. The SF weather engine still needs a few more tweaks and options, but its cloud formations are superior to anything in either P3d4 (or XP11 for that matter). I still use the ASP4 engine with the SF clouds, but I'm very close to switching full time to SF.

6 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I agree. The SF weather engine still needs a few more tweaks and options, but its cloud formations are superior to anything in either P3d4 (or XP11 for that matter). I still use the ASP4 engine with the SF clouds, but I'm very close to switching full time to SF.

That's interesting Jay. I've not tried there WX with the updates it sounds like it's come on a long way from release.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

There's another update in the works for SF. They still have a ways to go to match ASP4, but I think REX has the capability to do that and then some. 

It's a matter of personal taste but I also prefer SF clouds over ASCA ones. I don't like the looks of ASCA clouds. Take note this may have nothing to do with realism. 😉

I do use AS for weather though: I don't think the SF weather engine will ever get close. 

Edited by Guest

SF also has a much more intuitive interface IMO. The Active Sky interface and especially its map is tired and dated looking. There's some validity to the axiom, "Dont mess with success.", but it seems to me that HiFi has been resting on its laurels with its flagship product. 

I don't think that  it will take very long for REX to catch up with SF. Remember, OPUS was once king of the weather heap but that now seems like decades ago. The FS weather add-on field is both crowded and competitive. 

26 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I don't think that  it will take very long for REX to catch up with SF. Remember, OPUS was once king of the weather heap but that now seems like decades ago. The FS weather add-on field is both crowded and competitive. 

I don't think the SF weather engine will ever come close to AS because REX isn't planning on doing that. 😉 They are working on (yet) another addon to beat AS. SF is more or less the equivalent of ASCA. 

Edited by Guest

If that's was the logic behind your previous post, that makes more sense. It's unclear to me what the various vaporware REX products will really do though. One can get vertigo just from reading the descriptions.

That was the logic indeed. 😉 Yes, you have to read through a lot of marketing yada yada to figure out what their products actually do (or should do). 

2 questions regarding SF3D -

ASCA transforms textures on the fly based on the real weather , is SF3D capeable of doing this as well? Even if I will be using Active sky as the weather engine?

I have REX SC + texture direct - is SF3D a complete reaplacement or do these 2 work together? I am referring specifically to the sky & cloud textures obviously.

Thanks!

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

4 hours ago, J van E said:

SF is more or less the equivalent of ASCA. 

Negative! REX Skyforce has it own weather engine and doesn't switch clouds, structures, & sky textures dynamically.

ASCA has different modes of operation and has no weather engine. But you knew this already. 😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Sky Force with Active Sky I believe is the best option at this time. That will give you the best of textures and the best of weather injection. The weather engine within Sky Force is not up to par with the abilities of Active Sky but with Weather Force on the way in an update, that could change things. Also not to mention Environment Force in development which showed off some impressive features.

It would be smart to purchase Sky Force now while its on sale. Lets say you don't like it, at 50% off it's a low risk. BUT, if you do like it, you're only future proofing yourself with all the updates in the works for Sky Force.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

21 minutes ago, PWJT8D said:

Sky Force with Active Sky I believe is the best option at this time. That will give you the best of textures and the best of weather injection. The weather engine within Sky Force is not up to par with the abilities of Active Sky but with Weather Force on the way in an update, that could change things. Also not to mention Environment Force in development which showed off some impressive features.

It would be smart to purchase Sky Force now while its on sale. Lets say you don't like it, at 50% off it's a low risk. BUT, if you do like it, you're only future proofing yourself with all the updates in the works for Sky Force.

This was pretty much my logic.  Just picked it up and shall be installing shortly!

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

15 minutes ago, PWJT8D said:

Yup...I would not hesitate to get it especially if it is on sale.  As others have said, SF3D along with ActiveSky is the combo to have at the moment (I have used ASCA extensively in the past).  REX also have some cool things coming up for SF3D in the probably not too distant future...

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11