Sign in to follow this  
Gizmo05

Rex Skyforce 3D

I also took the plunge and bought REX skyforce because you can't beat that low price. The most important feature for me is to see the weather and clouds changing as I fly. Reading some of these posts saying that skyforce does not change anything on the fly is confusing me. I see that there is an option for clouds that will change as you fly so isn't that what I was looking for. I have ASCA and AS that I use for weather but I also read that the weather engine for REX is not that bad after all. I really don't care about the technical aspects of the weather so I just want to see rain where it's supposed to rain and sun where it's sunny.  I also see that there is a 10 day weather generator thingy which I think means that each day you play P3D there will be random clouds generated so you don't have the same clouds each day. I think that's also something that will achieve what I want. I did not read the manual fully through yet so it may not be what I think. 

14 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I loved REX Soft clouds. I used AS & ASCA but preferred Solf clouds.

Now I used SF I use it with AS-ASCA with ENVTEX for sky colour only. I've never seen cloud formations as I do with SF and the clouds are like Soft clouds. Its all about the formations SF brings. Turn off there WX. 

Some people prefer AS with ASCA but personly I find the look harsh and when you have used Soft clouds I want that soft cloud look. SF brings all that and formations that really make all the difference. Also overcast for me looks amazing with no FPS hit and when you're under full overcast the clouds can be all dark and foreboding until you fly through and break out and then you have a full overcast under you, wonderful.

+1

Kevin Humphryes

8 hours ago, DJJose said:

Negative! REX Skyforce has it own weather engine and doesn't switch clouds, structures, & sky textures dynamically.

ASCA has different modes of operation and has no weather engine. But you knew this already. 😀

Jose, 

You're incorrect. SF does in fact dynamically change out the 3D cloud models on-the-fly.

• Like 1

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

1 hour ago, timest said:

Jose, 

You're incorrect. SF does in fact dynamically change out the 3D cloud models on-the-fly.

I'm looking forward to the next hot fix that address' the CTD due to cloud sync.

Murray Dreyer

52 minutes ago, mdreyer said:

I'm looking forward to the next hot fix that address' the CTD due to cloud sync.

To be fair this has affected a handful of users/systems, and we're still trying to recreate the issue in-house as well as with our beta team. We've had a bit of success with a couple members via our insider program. We'll definitely fix it in the next update though.

• Like 1

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Does SkyForce need to be running if I am using ActiveSky for weather generation?

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Yes it needs to be open and then stick it in your tray

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

58 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Does SkyForce need to be running if I am using ActiveSky for weather generation?

Only if you want cloud STRUCTURES to be changed dynamically. I have to say I never have SF running in the background and my skies look just as good. I never noticed any change of structures anyway and rather save on resources while running P3D. All installed structures and textures are used anyway, regardless if you have SF running in the background or not.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, timest said:

Jose, 

Thanks for clarifying. I thought that after initial install of cloud & sky textures that while in the sim Skyforce did its magic by creating the weather representation without switching textures on the fly. I was only pointing out the difference between ASCA & Skyforce.

It's actually not even a fair comparison because ASCA is an addon to AS a not a stand alone program.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Only if you want cloud STRUCTURES to be changed dynamically. I have to say I never have SF running in the background and my skies look just as good. I never noticed any change of structures anyway and rather save on resources while running P3D. All installed structures and textures are used anyway, regardless if you have SF running in the background or not.

If SF is not running & nothing is changing, then you basically have an addon that does the exact same thing as REX TD.

8 minutes ago, DJJose said:

If SF is not running & nothing is changing, then you basically have an addon that does the exact same thing as REX TD.

Correct. And I'm totally fine with that. 😉

I don't have the numbers at hand but from memory: P3D comes with around 150 cloud structures or so. SF installs around 1500 structures into P3D and they are all used by whatever weather engine you use, so even if you don't have SF running. If you do have SF running it will replace (some of those) structures dynamically and give even you more variation but seriously, the skies look so varied and good already that I can do without those extra structures. In all the time I had SF running in the background I never ever actually noticed structures being loaded anyway so... for MY eyes it doesn't make a difference. I had the same with ASCA clouds: it's great that it loads cloud textures on the fly but I never actually noticed anything of it. My skies look GREAT and I can do without those dynamically loaded structures (and textures).

The ONLY dynamically change that actually DOES make a noticable difference (for MY eyes) are the ASCA skies. Those I can see changing! But clouds and structures... no. So I decided to not run SF anymore because 1500 structures is more than enough for me. 😉

I'm on the fence about buying SkyForce 3D during the sale to add it to my Active Sky, ASCA and EnvTex arrangement. 

Do people think that the upcoming REX Environment Force is going to be a replacement of SF3D or will it be another of Rex's 'similar, but does something slightly different' product range?

AS + SF users, do you see the downdrafts and other cloud model eye candy often?

Basically, help please, should I go for SkyForce, wait for Environment Force, not bother?
Thanks.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

OK..i bought it and i must say its awesome. I would like to know since i have this, do i need to uninstall REX soft cloud and ASCA cloud art ?I'm just worried it will conflict with one another.

19 minutes ago, Gizmo05 said:

OK..i bought it and i must say its awesome. I would like to know since i have this, do i need to uninstall REX soft cloud and ASCA cloud art ?I'm just worried it will conflict with one another.

You can still use ASCA to enable dynamic sky textures. I don't think you will need SC. The clouds in SF are amazing! Either way there should be no conflict.

28 minutes ago, F737NG said:

I'm on the fence about buying SkyForce 3D during the sale to add it to my Active Sky, ASCA and EnvTex arrangement. 

Do people think that the upcoming REX Environment Force is going to be a replacement of SF3D or will it be another of Rex's 'similar, but does something slightly different' product range?

AS + SF users, do you see the downdrafts and other cloud model eye candy often?

Basically, help please, should I go for SkyForce, wait for Environment Force, not bother?
Thanks.

Get Skyforce now. It's priced at a bargain.

• Like 1