Sign in to follow this  
dray007

Bush pilot/aircraft addons

Hello, im looking and asking your suggest for best freeware STOL/Bush aircraft. what's the best? and im planning to buy RWDesign Twin Otter V2. is it good addon? or should i buy another plane? thanks

Dray Langley

The Vskylabs trikes are wonderful, they have a single place, two place and sea plane trike, plus a soaring trike.  You can fly low and slow over the bush, and the view is great, and the price cannot be beat!

John

https://www.vskylabs.com/

There is a free Pilatus PC-6 at the .org file database:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/37534-pilatus-pc6-103/

Don't know how good it is, but I flew a precursor to this model and it seemed okay. If this current version of the PC-6 is realistic, it's one of the best-performing STOL aircraft ever made.

I can't recall any other good free models of bush planes. Maybe someone else will recommend something. 

For payware, I'd recommend picking up either the SoulMadeSims DHC-2 Beaver or the Thranda Kodiak Quest. Both these models are currently on sale at the .org store. The Beaver is THE classic North American bush plane. It's a pig in the air (slow), but built like a tank, and has the classic radial engine vibe. The Kodiak is a modern turboprop bush plane with better performance and fancy avionics. Old School vs. New School, and both excellent bush plane models.

As for the RWDesigns Twin Otter -- I have that one. The 3D modeling is good, it flies smoothly, but I've heard complaints that it's not a terribly accurate flight model. I don't know enough about the real thing to comment on that, and the current version may be updated. I think of the Twotter as more of a back country scheduled airline plane, not exactly a classic bush plane like the Beaver or Kodiak, but you can get it into some very short airstrips if you need to. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

The freeware Manfred Jan C47 at Sim Outhouse is tremendous fun. Also the Milviz Beaver and Otter are neat STOL aircraft. Of course the C47 isn't STOL but an often used bush plane in rugged parts of the world.

Vic green

By the way, we already have one "bush plane" in the default C172, so don't forget that one as a free model. They may not have the STOL performance of a PC-6, but light Cessnas are flown as "bush planes" in many parts of the world, especially Central and South America.

Like this video of a 182 in Guatemala. I don't think you could get a Twin Otter or a DC-3/C-47 in and out of here: 🙂

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I love bush flying in Central and South America. Like the wild west of aviation.

Vic green

8 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

The freeware Manfred Jan C47 at Sim Outhouse is tremendous fun. Also the Milviz Beaver and Otter are neat STOL aircraft. Of course the C47 isn't STOL but an often used bush plane in rugged parts of the world.

Like your avatar - I too was a member of the 'class of '81'

3 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

Like your avatar - I too was a member of the 'class of '81'

Good to hear from you bro! Long time ago and some painful memories.

Vic green

1 minute ago, PATCO LCH said:

Good to hear from you bro! Long time ago and some painful memories.

All part of history now - working PANC Tracon at the time.  

1 minute ago, olderndirt said:

All part of history now - working PANC Tracon at the time.  

I was at Lake Charles LA. I was fortunate enough through church connections to get a job with Halliburton right after. Talk about going from a Level three facility into the Lousiana oil patch swatting musquitos, sleeping in a pick up,and ridding crew boats for 12 hours to an off shore rig. Don't you know I had regrets.

But, it all worked out. Did you ever reapply?

Vic green