Sign in to follow this  
gstreet

Bleed HP Eng 1,3,4

I did a long flight in the -8f today and during my decent I got three Eicas messages saying bleed HP eng 1,3, and 4. This is the first failure I’ve gotten in the 8 I went to the QRH and know it says it’s caused by the hp bleed valve being closed when commanded open but just out of pure interest and curiosity wondered what is actually occurring in the engine that causes this. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, gstreet said:

I did a long flight in the -8f today and during my decent I got three Eicas messages saying bleed HP eng 1,3, and 4. This is the first failure I’ve gotten in the 8 I went to the QRH and know it says it’s caused by the hp bleed valve being closed when commanded open but just out of pure interest and curiosity wondered what is actually occurring in the engine that causes this. 

Thanks!

At high thrust settings air comes from the intermediate pressure stage (IP) and at low power settings from the high pressure stage (HP) sections of the engine. There is a valve that regulates this. Essentially this valve is stuck closed preventing use of air from the HP Stage. In the -8 this message should only come up if both the valve is stuck in closed AND if engine anti ice is in use. You will need to follow the QRH to apply a higher power setting to give sufficient bleed air to heat the engine nacelles. 

This is fairly common to occur in 1 engine. It can even be deferred for a single engine.  For this to happen in 3 engines at once is quite odd though. Just your unlucky day I guess. 😅

Edited by Jetlinker

Thanks for the answer! I’ve been waiting patiently for my first service based failure in the -8 and was lucky enough to have three all at once 😂 

1 hour ago, gstreet said:

Thanks for the answer! I’ve been waiting patiently for my first service based failure in the -8 and was lucky enough to have three all at once 😂 

Geoff, from what the unnamed fellow said I don't believe this was failure but was more of an operational issue.  The odds of three identical failures, without the PMDG Options menu for Failures showing an active failure, leads me to believe that there was something cattywampus in your panel state to cause those EICAS messages.  If it repeats i recommend you submit the details on a trouble ticket. PMDG is working on improvements to their method of dealing with EICAS messages and saving panel states... it's not an easy task.

On the other hand if you Active Failures page in the CDU do indeed indicate a triplex of same failure then it is time to buy a lottery ticket.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan, It did indeed show the three failures as active on the options menu of the CDU. Let me know if you want me to pick you up a ticket as well! 🤣

• Upvote 1