Sign in to follow this  
1290SASRider

Key mapping heading select knob?

Has anyone attempted and had success with mapping a key to increasing or decreasing the heading select knob?  My goal following doing that successfully would be to then map that key to one of the rocker switches on the Logi-Saitek yoke.

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

This is very easy to do with FSUIPC. I do not have the PMDG 747 but have done this for every other aircraft in my hangar.

24 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

This is very easy to do with FSUIPC. I do not have the PMDG 747 but have done this for every other aircraft in my hangar.

That is where I've tried it already without success, Henry.

David Rosenblum

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

Umm...could be that the PMDG uses custom LVARs for that function and not using the default HDG functions? Have you checked the LINDA forum to see if anyone has the LVAR mappings?

EDIT: looks like there is an older version of the PMDG 747 at the LINDA forum. Perhaps someone at the PMDG forum can confirm the LVAR names.

Edited by Henry Street

4 hours ago, 1290SASRider said:

Has anyone attempted and had success with mapping a key to increasing or decreasing the heading select knob?  My goal following doing that successfully would be to then map that key to one of the rocker switches on the Logi-Saitek yoke.

David,

This is much easier to accomplish if you have the Logi-Saitek Multi-panel and configure it using Spad.Next (or FSUIPC), because you can configure the built-in HDG controller.  It is well worth buying this panel and the switch panel if you don't have them already, because it makes flying complicated aircraft, like the PMDG744 and their latest -8, more enjoyable and easier to operate. 

PMDG aircraft have a host of variable events of their own which can be easily configured using Spad.Next.  For example, I am currently using the Multi Panel's pitch trim wheel to control the EFIS CPT range and it works flawlessly with the  744 and -8. My Flap selections are made using a Logi-Saitek USB Quadrant.    

20 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

I'm guessing it's not in the FMC key command settings?

It is.  All one needs to do is look LOL.  All MCP controls are available for assignment to key commands (most all).  I use FSUIPC to map controller buttons/switches to those assignments.  Now I have TOGA on my throttle and both heading and altitude on my joystick. The Warthog HOTAS provides plenty of buttons/switches and rockers but I still revert to just keyboard use for the EFIS controls, also available in the FMC PMDG Options > Keycommands.

Dan Downs KCRP

3 minutes ago, downscc said:

It is.  All one needs to do is look LOL.  All MCP controls are available for assignment to key commands (most all).  I use FSUIPC to map controller buttons/switches to those assignments.  Now I have TOGA on my throttle and both heading and altitude on my joystick. The Warthog HOTAS provides plenty of buttons/switches and rockers but I still revert to just keyboard use for the EFIS controls, also available in the FMC PMDG Options > Keycommands.

And so it is!  I should have looked at that.  Thank you Dan and Kevin, and all who weighed in!

David Rosenblum

2 hours ago, downscc said:

It is.  All one needs to do is look LOL. 

Copy. I would have suggested looking there, but I didn't know if he had already tried it or not, and I'm not in a position at this point where I can really go check myself.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.