Sign in to follow this  
American 833 Heavy

Updated AFCAD for Orbx KSMO New Shortened Runway Layout?

Wondering if anyone has made an updated AFCAD for the KSMO in the Orbx NA Airports Pack to reflect the new layout.

As some of you guys may have heard the runway at KSMO was shortened to 3500ft, 750ft on either end, in an effort to curb jet traffic ahead of the airport's planned closure in 2028.

New Taxiways have been added to the new runway starting points and taxiways leading up to the old runway end points have been closed and decommissioned.

There is a ton of info available online of what was done at KSMO for anyone with the know how to do the modification.

Thanks!

qwsig_Emil02-1.gif

Replying to follow, but I have been looking for the same thing.  I've opened it up in ADE, but have never done any modifications, and it's still foreign to me.  I may tinker around a bit though and see if I can figure it out at some point.

5 hours ago, medx421 said:

I've opened it up in ADE, but have never done any modifications, and it's still foreign to me.  I may tinker around a bit though and see if I can figure it out at some point.

It comes with an instruction manual which makes it pretty easy to figure out. Plus there are probably some YouTube tutorials you could watch as well. 

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thank you, and you are correct.  I watched some videos and did a little but of tinkering.  SMO is a bit weird because pretty much the whole field is concrete and asphalt, even between the runway, taxiways, and ramp areas.  It's certainly not insurmountable.  Funny that it almost seems easier to build from scratch than it does to modify an existing.

The design of the Orbx SMO AFCAD makes it difficult as they layered all the different types of payment all through there.

Had a little time last night and I managed to do the modification fairly accurately in ADE. Works well just missing the taxi signs for the new taxiways. It's not perfect but it's adequate. Whenever I have some time to fly for fun been enjoying GA lately.

Of course a professionally done retrofit by them would be ideal but it looks decent and pretty accurate now.

I may upload it to the file library later this week.

• Like 1

qwsig_Emil02-1.gif