Sign in to follow this  
jaybird1nyc

Neat Workaround Found For VFR Flights To Non-Towered Fields

Hi all,

First, I admit this a hack, not a solution, but bear with me and hear me out.  I fly alot of GA into non-towered fields and I miss not being able to complete the flight since VoxATC v7 has a still has that unresolved bug that leaves you hanging after you report the arfield in sight.  If you don't know what I'm talking about then this hack doesn't apply to you.  

Ok, here goes, you need to be on a IFR flightplan into a non-towered field.  At the appropriate time, request an RNAV approach.  When you get close to the field (5-10 mi) start to line up for a standard VFR pattern entry.  Report the IF to VoxATC.  Enter the downwind leg as per normal VFR procedure.  Report the FAF to VoxATC.  You will be told to switch to advisory frequency.  Upon doing so, you will see the old menu choices (!)  0. Report Downwind, 1.Report Base, 2. Report Final, etc.

Ok, I said it was a hack!  Gimme a break, jees...

But it works.

Ok, further investigation allows you to begin the flight as VFR and then, at some point, switch to an IFR plan to the same field.  At that point continue with the above instructions.

Someone help me out with this, PLEASE!!!  (I check for VoxATC v.7.4.3 every day...)

Regards,

Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

Yeah, that works. Good catch. You should send that information to the official VOXATC contact email, as it appears to be a minor logic error in the code. Or maybe we all don't understand how to properly do a VFR flight to a non-towered field.:wink:

Note: for anyone else reading the OP, IF = initial fix, FAF = final approach fix, but you probably knew that.

the other way is to put tower instadead of unicom in airfield with airportdesigneditor 😃

i9 13900K    HT off 32 Gb DDR5 @ 7.6  Ghz CL36 Asus Apex HERO Z790  W11 64 bits pro sur Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To,  DCS, P3D5 et MSFS sur 2 ème   Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To , RTX 3090 OC (GPU 2Ghz)  Alim Corsair 1500 W  Gold Ecran ACER  28 pouces  4K  G-SYNC
WC  AIO ARTIC liquid freezer II 420 Boitier Gigabyte 3d mars

I like yours better than mine because it doesn’t require “Advanced mode.”

On 11/26/2018 at 11:30 AM, supersym said:

the other way is to put tower instadead of unicom in airfield with airportdesigneditor 😃

I know you're just joking, but of course that would work. 😉

On 11/26/2018 at 7:38 PM, Mad_Mac said:

I like yours better than mine because it doesn’t require “Advanced mode.”

I tried your suggestion a while back, and it will work, but you don't the 'happy ending' that you do using my trick. 😁

The only hassle is switching to an IFR flight plan before arriving at your destination.  Now I always have a VFR and IFR plan set up in advance to make it easier and I just disable VoxATC, use FSUIPC's 'Load Plan' menu to quickly switch plans, and the re-enable VoxATC.  It's an acceptable workaround until it gets fixed (if ever...)

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

no !

it(s easy to do : call your airliefd bgl wiith ADE, go to COMM, and change tower instead of unicom...

i9 13900K    HT off 32 Gb DDR5 @ 7.6  Ghz CL36 Asus Apex HERO Z790  W11 64 bits pro sur Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To,  DCS, P3D5 et MSFS sur 2 ème   Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To , RTX 3090 OC (GPU 2Ghz)  Alim Corsair 1500 W  Gold Ecran ACER  28 pouces  4K  G-SYNC

I've emailed a link to this thread to Tegwyn and Bob Sidwick :)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

5 hours ago, supersym said:

no !

it(s easy to do : call your airliefd bgl wiith ADE, go to COMM, and change tower instead of unicom...

I use ADE all the time, but by just adding a tower frequency all you are doing is converting a non-towered airport into a towered airport (as far as VoxATC is concerned).  Kind of ruins any sense of realism of flying into an uncontrolled field.

4 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

I've emailed a link to this thread to Tegwyn and Bob Sidwick 🙂

Thanks Kevin, maybe it'll get fixed in the next release.  I did report this to Tegwyn 2 years ago...

Edited by jaybird1nyc

4 hours ago, jaybird1nyc said:

I use ADE all the time, but by just adding a tower frequency all you are doing is converting a non-towered airport into a towered airport (as far as VoxATC is concerned).  Kind of ruins any sense of realism of flying into an uncontrolled field.

Thanks Kevin, maybe it'll get fixed in the next release.  I did report this to Tegwyn 2 years ago...

Me too, all we can do is appreciate what we have now and ask nicely :)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

sorry !

I did'nt undestand...

In France we have airfileds with an agent AFIS  just a part of the time. So with a tower frequency ,this is very realistic. 

8 hours ago, supersym said:

sorry !

I did'nt undestand...

In France we have airfileds with an agent AFIS  just a part of the time. So with a tower frequency ,this is very realistic. 

Here in the United States, if you can believe this, we have more untowered airports than any other kind, with assigned communication frequencies, and pilots simply announce their location and what they intend to do, and listen for other pilots doing the same thing, and if it sounds like you are close to each other, and don’t see anyone, you talk a lot more. 

On 11/29/2018 at 8:04 AM, jaybird1nyc said:

I know you're just joking, but of course that would work. 😉

I tried your suggestion a while back, and it will work, but you don't the 'happy ending' that you do using my trick. 😁

The only hassle is switching to an IFR flight plan before arriving at your destination.  Now I always have a VFR and IFR plan set up in advance to make it easier and I just disable VoxATC, use FSUIPC's 'Load Plan' menu to quickly switch plans, and the re-enable VoxATC.  It's an acceptable workaround until it gets fixed (if ever...)

I finally had a chance to try your “fix.”  It did work up until I taxied clear of the runway. I announced clear of the runway and the prompt remained fixed on that display. I still had to switch to “Advanced mode” to close my flight plan. Has that been your experience as well?

9 hours ago, Mad_Mac said:

Here in the United States, if you can believe this, we have more untowered airports than any other kind, with assigned communication frequencies, and pilots simply announce their location and what they intend to do, and listen for other pilots doing the same thing, and if it sounds like you are close to each other, and don’t see anyone, you talk a lot more. 

we have a lot like those in France too...

@ Mad_Mac

I was just testing my newly installed P3D 4.4 using VoxATC (all good so far!) and I was thinking about what you said re not being able to close your VFR flight plan.  Once you switch to an IFR plan that option is no longer available.  So, I guess that's one more thing we're gonna have to live with until it gets fixed.  I don't think you can switch to advanced mode while VoxATC is enabled, so I'm not sure if it's even worth it to do the whole disable, run the advanced settings app, switch to advanced (Expert?) mode, then enable VoxATC again just to close the flight plan.  Guess it's up to you if you want to.  Most of the time I don't even bother to close my flight plan... Yeah, I know...

@ supersym

I didn't know that's how it was in France, with some non-towered fields being 'controlled' by those agents you mentioned.  I should have specified that my 'fix' was probably only useful in the US.  Sorry about that.

Happy Flights,

Jay