I'm looking to buy a 4k monitor that supports 30Hz (or any monitor better than my current one that supports 30Hz). Browsing similar topics here gives very good suggestions but almost all of them are for really good 4k monitors that cost a lot of money. I'm looking for something on a budget (450$ max). Right now I have 1920x1080 24" monitor so anything better than that would be ok. I don't want it to be much bigger. Any suggestions? 

Side question.. under system specifications for monitors I often see "vertical frequency" and "horizontal frequency" for Hz. Which one defines that the monitor is 30hz? For example from one of them:

Vertical frequency: 50 ~ 76Hz
Horizontal frequency: 30 ~ 83kHz

Is this monitor capable of 30Hz that can be beneficial in flightsim? Should both frequencies be capable of 30Hz? What's the deal?

On my side, I bought the Asus PB287Q last year, I am pretty happy with it. It is 4K and it can do 30Hz.

• Like 1

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

At 27-28" why not just go for 1440p? You're not going to see much benefit from 2160p/4K until you go over 30" screen size.

I have an AOC Q2778VQE panel which gets good reviews for its brightness, motion and sRGB colour output (although input lag is criticised) and and I'm very happy with it, but sadly this doesn't support 30 Hz.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

16 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

At 27-28" why not just go for 1440p? You're not going to see much benefit from 2160p/4K until you go over 30" screen size.

I have an AOC Q2778VQE panel which gets good reviews for its brightness, motion and sRGB colour output (although input lag is criticised) and and I'm very happy with it, but sadly this doesn't support 30 Hz.

Agreed.

i have a 32 inch at 1440p and it looks awesome. To go 4K I think a larger screen again would be needed to make it worthwhile.

17 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

That's a good point, I didn't consider that. I have a very hard time finding non-4K monitor that supports 30Hz and everybody that uses 30Hz here on AVSIM seems to have 4K so I just assumed those two things go together :) I'd be good with 1440p monitor that support 30Hz. Any suggestions? 

Your hardware will thank you for it, 4K flight simming incredibly demanding on a system! 30 Hz is where you are going to struggle though as there is not much consumer demand, most only support 60 Hz+. Viewsonic XG2760 is the only one I can find at 27-28". Some of these could be worth investigating though:

baqImf.jpg

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

4k on a budget?  LOL

No such thing , if we use your existing 1080p settings as a baseline-

Let's assume one is using P3d 4.3. To maintain one's settings going from 1080p to 2k you'd need to upgrade a 1070 to a 1080ti; going from 2k to a 4k you'd need two 1080ti's.

To the OP: you may also wanna consider a 24" hi performance 1080P monitor, such as an Acer or Asus 144+ Hz gaming monitor. Heck with one of these monitors you'll probably get to add some graphic options to your existing settings after you pull up the vsync anchor.

Edit: and all the above assumes you have the cpu power to hande the extra pixels.

Edited by FunknNasty

I thought 4K @ 30Hz was a go-to config. Apparently, that's not the case? 

As I said, even 1080p would be just fine if it'd support 30Hz but I just can't find ANY that do. In the shop I usually buy computer hardware I can't even find any 1440p that can do 30Hz. 

For the longest time, I'm reading how only 30Hz can produce somehow similar result in P3D to the good old 1/2 refresh rate vsync in FSX. I'm going to buy RTX2080 soon and since it's quite expensive stuff I can't afford another 1000$+ for a monitor. That's why I said I'm looking for a 4K on a budget (lol, I know how ridiculous that sounds). So, my hardware is going to be: i7 4790k @4.5GHz, RTX2080.

It's very easy to find 4K that support 30Hz and pretty much impossible a 1080p that can do the same. 

@0Artur0 You could just run a 4K 30Hz monitor with a 1080p30 input, it will scale perfectly. Running 1440p on to a 4K you will get off-scaling and it'll look fuzzy.

4K (aka 2160p) gaming is incredibly demanding and simply not possible on a budget, a resolution of 3840*2160=8 megapixels, whereas FHD 1080p 1920*1080=2 megapixels only. That means your computer is having to draw FOUR times as many pixels (for reference 1440p QHD is 3 megapixels, which makes for a nice image between 24 and 30" without having onerous hardware requirements).

@FunknNasty 2K is almost identical to 1080p. 2K is a resolution of 2048*1080 (K refers to vertical lines) and 1080p is 1920*1080 (here the name refers to horizontal lines), sSo the hardware requirement barely changes. The next step up from 2K and 1080p FHD is 1440p QHD, then you'd probably step up to 4K.

Edited by ckyliu

support1.jpg

10 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

@FunknNasty 2K is almost identical to 1080p. 2K is a resolution of 2048*1080 (K refers to vertical lines) and 1080p is 1920*1080 (here the name refers to horizontal lines), so the hardware requirement barely changes.

Tell that to the P3d shader engine.  :-)

2K can't be that bad on P3D, I run 1440p on a 5 year old processor and graphics card!

Edited by ckyliu

support1.jpg

38 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

I thought 4K @ 30Hz was a go-to config. Apparently, that's not the case? 

As I said, even 1080p would be just fine if it'd support 30Hz but I just can't find ANY that do. In the shop I usually buy computer hardware I can't even find any 1440p that can do 30Hz. 

For the longest time, I'm reading how only 30Hz can produce somehow similar result in P3D to the good old 1/2 refresh rate vsync in FSX. I'm going to buy RTX2080 soon and since it's quite expensive stuff I can't afford another 1000$+ for a monitor. That's why I said I'm looking for a 4K on a budget (lol, I know how ridiculous that sounds). So, my hardware is going to be: i7 4790k @4.5GHz, RTX2080.

It's very easy to find 4K that support 30Hz and pretty much impossible a 1080p that can do the same. 

https://www.asus.com/Product-Compare/?products=BBu4xOGz3eRRHD2B,rLVFJZ0D5oZwhnq1&b=2

with one these monitors you wont need 30Hz or the vsync required to run 30hz.

Look, there's two reasons why people run 30Hz:

1) The puter can't handle the requested rendering

2) the monitor is too darn slow

It's usually the ladder ...but the blame is usually put on the former.