Have you purchased the BenQ, Ray I would be interested in how you find it

I'm in the market for a new monitor and that one may suit my needs.

I'm going for a new build next year and the monitor will be one of the major upgrades

Cheers

Pete Little

@mazelda, yes, purchased and arriving next Monday. I researched monitors for many months and although expensive decided that ticked all the boxes. I’ll give feedback in a separate topic.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I appreciate all the recommendations and technical explanations!

I'd still like to hear from FunknNasty what he meant by his comment.

As I said before I started looking for 4K for one reason only - 30Hz. If I could find 1440p or even 1080p monitor that can support 30Hz I'd go for it over 4K any day. That only problem is that I can't find any. At all! They are all 60Hz and more. 

Since performance is very important in P3D I'm not sure anymore what option is actually going to be better on my setup - 1440p @ 60Hz monitor with more FPS or 4K @ 30Hz monitor with less FPS?

2 hours ago, 0Artur0 said:

I'd still like to hear from FunknNasty what he meant by his comment.

My last comment on anything monitor ...aside from recommending the monitor I use. ok...

....Tomaz ........I got nothing for ya man. 30Hz isn't my cup of tea. 🙂

15 hours ago, 0Artur0 said:

About that monitor though...

I do love the above comment ....sorry the forum hasn't been a little more direct in terms of answering your question.

FYI-

The monitor I use, and I wouldn't trade it for any monitor on the market today, does not support 30Hz ...in case you're wondering. 🙂

3 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

My last comment on anything monitor ...aside from recommending the monitor I use. ok...

....Tomaz ........I got nothing for ya man. 30Hz isn't my cup of tea. 🙂

I was just wondering what you meant by saying "with one these monitors you wont need 30Hz or the vsync required to run 30hz." as to why wouldn't I need it, what exactly is with those monitors that 30Hz is not needed to get the smoothness. I guess you were just recommending me the monitor you're using. Anyways, thanks for the advice, as I said, they do look good and are within my budget so something to consider if I want a good monitor when I give up on 30Hz spiel :)

6 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

I was just wondering what you meant by saying "with one these monitors you wont need 30Hz or the vsync required to run 30hz." as to why wouldn't I need it, what exactly is with those monitors that 30Hz is not needed to get the smoothness. I guess you were just recommending me the monitor you're using. Anyways, thanks for the advice, as I said, they do look good and are within my budget so something to consider if I want a good monitor when I give up on 30Hz spiel 🙂

If those linked monitors are anything like the one I use then ....then I'll say this: My monitor performance does not change with framerate ....the performance holds true from 24 fps thru 150 fps and beyond. Negotiating the cockpit is true, smooth and natural  regardless of the fps ...as long as i'm above 24 fps.

I run in game (p3d 4.3) frame limit at 29,30,31,34 <somewhere in that range, doesn't matter>, no vsync with monitor at 150Hz.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

If those linked monitors are anything like the one I use then ....then I'll say this: My monitor performance does not change with framerate ....the performance holds true from 24 fps thru 150 fps and beyond. Negotiating the cockpit is true, smooth and natural  regardless of the fps ...as long as i'm above 24 fps.

I run in game (p3d 4.3) frame limit at 29,30,31,34 <somewhere in that range, doesn't matter>, no vsync with monitor at 150Hz.

I understand. Thanks!

Remember that VSync In P3D is about controlling the CPU throughput, capping the framerate is about simply controlling the framerate. Simply applying a fps cap does not allow P3D to proportion its resources correctly. The faster the PC is the less noticed the error. Use VSync and slider settings to bring the CPU main thread to below 100% so you have overhead in the system at the landing stage not in mid air - I get 200fps + in mid air.. 

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...so taking the example of a PC running between 60 down to 40. As Dirk suggest, this might be a system running VSync as a fps cap at  60 on a 60Hz monitor, but from there on in he CPU main thread is hitting 100% and fps is therefore dropping - P3D is now being given a hard time for no reason. It is one way of setup but undesirable when we need not run like FSX a decade ago.. No overhead in the system to maintain fps and the only thing saving the day is the enormous speed of new PCs

The fps can be capped externally too. We can do that as well. But to cap alone means that each frame a certain amount of work is discarded - adding to heat and taking cycles from the next frame operation.

With fps fixed on the slider setting rather than 'Unlimited' and then creeping up the settings till we see 100% on the main thread (not the average across the CPU but rather importantly the core or LP running the main thread) - we see that 100% comes up fast - because it builds look ahead frames, as if it's unlimited and there's no stopping it till it has filled the buffer requirement.

VSync steering in P3D is used as a drop down from those systems - the fixed fps setting brings accuracy to the simulation we don't require so much and is more for slower fps as it controls the time between frames precisely.

VSync (P3D Display Setting) doesn't even 'cap' the frames since it only reads in the frequency to steer the GPU to the frequency - so we see the output 'wobble' around the frequency. We can then add a cap on top for a little extra smoothness. Cap one below not one above as is often suggested. The one above means the slightly shorter time between frames (takes more CPU as well) simply elongates the long-frame as it waits a little longer (the frame arrives a little sooner) - go for one less.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 1

Thanks Dirk98.

Let me explain a little behind the operation of the monitor with respect to that last post: As previously discussed, the monitor might be set to 30Hz, but in fact it will more likely be something like 30.6 for argument's sake. So do we cap at 31 or 30 for that monitor?

First let us look at the more obvious side - 31 fps vs 30 fps = 3% more throughput requirement. We want 3% even on the more powerful PC.

Second we know the monitor displays frames from its buffer in its own time in a timely fashion, after each raster operation starts the next. The frame in the buffer is displayed.

If we use our 3% CPU to send it another frame before the last has finished the display, that makes no difference to the view. The next frame tries to advance on that and the monitor will continue to display the old frame because the next frame is updating the buffer and the buffer won't be available to display until it is complete because of the desktop vertical sync.

Save the 3%.

When choosing a monitor be careful to check the input specifications of the cabling to it. So for example with hdmi and display port we see 60Hz and 30Hz standards. The monitor has receiving circuitry and response time to enable the greater capacity - that might be a higher cost monitor. Obviously with only a 30Hz connection we can't run higher fps.

Cables and connections are very complicated.

Be aware for example that hdmi cables carry a very sophisticated analogue signal (phase quadrature based) that degrades over distance. The receiving system analyses the signal and recreates what it thinks is the original binary values. The values are organised like a compressed file and standards include losses in that compression to deliver only a subset of the colour gamut available on the monitor.

So what this means is that poor cable quality actually will produce a less colourful display. Even though it's only digital.

We never answer the questions they ask but rather the ones we wished they'd asked.  

Steve-

please explain in simple terms why someone with a dialed in system using vsync at 30 FPS locked can have a perfect experience in Kansas then have everything fall apart when they stray into the no man’s land we call lax?

-if it doesn’t have a display port don’t buy it.   <g>  

Yeah, I’m playing, Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FunknNasty said:

We never answer the questions they ask but rather the ones we wished they'd asked.  

Steve-

please explain in simple terms why someone with a dialed in system using vsync at 30 FPS locked can have a perfect experience in Kansas then have everything fall apart when they stray into the no man’s land we call lax?

-if it doesn’t have a display port don’t buy it.   <g>  

Yeah, I’m playing, Steve.

That's a problem of which kind of performance we desire for a flight.

If we never fly in places that are very taxing we can dial in our system for that. In P3D we can set another profile dialed in for more taxing places, then choose one thatis suitable for the flight we are planning. Or simply set less sliders, get a more powerful PC, or look at every aspect of performance you can, to extract from the thing as I do, 2% there, 3% there, it adds up. A well tuned system can stay put and not be too low on scenic details.

• Like 1