Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Our Site is not Safe - Now you tell me!

Little bit of tongue in cheek with the title but I remember a year or two ago when Google told everyone to get the "Green" padlock to show others your site is secure.  It is mandatory or it will be mandatory and, if you don't have this lock, people who go to your site will be warned your site is insecure.  As I recall we had to pay the big bucks to get the green lock.  Now I read half of the sites on the Internet with the green lock are unsafe - https://www.techspot.com/news/77585-half-all-phishing-sites-display-padlock-making-people.html (be careful, it might not be a safe article and site).  Just thought I would pass this bit of information on.  Just because there is a green lock indicating the site you are visiting is secure, it does not mean it is secure.  I don't know what it means.  But AVSIM has one!

Let's hope someone gets their act together.  This is not acceptable!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I also have my sites secured.

15 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Let's hope someone gets their act together.  This is not acceptable! 

And as You I don't find this.... acceptable.

Edited by RamonB

We are the Google, you will be assimilated.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I got the following from someone using our contact system who was evidently afraid to post his/her comments on AVSIM.  Thought I would share:

"Suck it ( nazijim@suckit.com ) said:

Hey Jim Young, alias ignoramus, instead of posting that stupid word not allowed post about safe sites, and contributing to spread paranoia, why dn’t you use that time to actually READ what it means instead of stating “I don’t know what this means” like the old word not allowed fart you are?

and of course there’s always the brown nose member agreeing with such a stupid comment as “I don’t find this acceptable”, as if it was google or whoever doing this you don’t seem to understand...

the ignorance is staggering, and it is at the same frigthening that wuch technically challenged morons are in charge of such a big site... "

Someone is upset I was simply trying to pass on a warning to our membership (and possibly others in the flight simulation community) to be careful when using the Internet.  Just wanted to correct one of the individual's misconceptions that I'm in charge of AVSIM.  The Board of Directors' manages AVSIM.  The CEO, AVSIM is in charge.  I'm in charge of the forums as the CEO and Board of Directors' put me into this position. 

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Related to Google? Hardly surprised they are most probably angling to screw even more from websites if advertising revenues are falling! I trust Google about as much as................take your pick!

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

I got the following from someone using our contact system who was evidently afraid to post his/her comments on AVSIM.  Thought I would share:

Hey Jim Young, alias ignoramus, instead of posting that stupid word not allowed post about safe sites, and contributing to spread paranoia, why dn’t you use that time to actually READ what it means instead of stating “I don’t know what this means” like the old word not allowed fart you are?

and of course there’s always the brown nose member agreeing with such a stupid comment as “I don’t find this acceptable”, as if it was google or whoever doing this you don’t seem to understand...

the ignorance is staggering, and it is at the same frigthening that wuch technically challenged morons are in charge of such a big site... "

Someone is upset I was simply trying to pass on a warning to our membership (and possibly others in the flight simulation community) to be careful when using the Internet.  Just wanted to correct one of the individual's misconceptions that I'm in charge of AVSIM.  The Board of Directors' manages AVSIM.  The CEO, AVSIM is in charge.  I'm in charge of the forums as the CEO and Board of Directors' put me into this position. 

Quoted poster would benefit from a spell-checker and probably some basic grammar lessons.

Sadly, the education system is failing far too many people but, then again, trolldom ruleZ.

• Like 1

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

14 minutes ago, speedyTC said:

Quoted poster would benefit from a spell-checker and probably some basic grammar lessons.

Sadly, the education system is failing far too many people but, then again, trolldom ruleZ.

The poster needs much more help than spelling / grammar lessons! 

JJ

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, speedyTC said:

Indeed and I always wonder why people would send/post such a vociferous response without actually saying what their beef is.

I think he's refering to the fact that the padlock really only signifies that SSL is being used and a valid certificate is found confirming the site is what it says it is. That doesn't mean amazon-special-offers.com (don't go there) is run by 'The' Amazon we all know and love, just that the owner of that site has applied and paid for a SSL certificate and enabled HTTPS for the site. It doesn't confer any sort of legitimacy other than it's definitely the site you've requested and received with no electronic molestation in between. 

In the purest sense of the word it does mean it's secure, it just doesn't mean it's a safe site or a site that does what it says it does.

As a system it was designed to protect people from having their website requests rerouted to a scam site or having their information stolen during transmission. It was never going to protect people from phishing scams or somehow 'police' websites.

Jim is simply highlighting that that green padlock we've all been told to look out for is now somewhat obsolete as the scammers have found a way round it. It's a constant battle between the two sides (good and evil, criminals and police, hackers and security software, etc etc) and I'm sure there'll be more to come.

A useful heads up, thanks Jim...

• Like 1

The 

57 minutes ago, iwebber said:

ndeed and I always wonder why people would send/post such a vociferous response without actually saying what their beef is

Very often there is no real beef.  Society is full of seething,  angry people for any number of reasons which very often comes out in irrational posts like this.  Those are the words of a maladjusted, angry, unhappy person.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A truly intelligent and informed person would have at the very least attempted to be an educator and explain things instead of indulging in a profanity laced rant about how stupid Jim is...

This is yet another example of projection, IMHO. :rolleyes:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

32 minutes ago, n4gix said:

This is yet another example of projection, IMHO

Absolutley true. I was thinking as I read that: " Look in the mirror..." 

• Like 1

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Just a heads-up that not all those "Unsecure" sights are nefarious. Many are probably in the same situation as me, with a web site where I just haven't gotten around to doing the certificate thing.

I have a minimum-fee site hosted by Hostgator, and I think the certificate is a freebie with the account. I only use it for hosting image files I want to link on forums like this one, and shared family recipes. Small-time stuff. I just haven't had time, or a strong motivation, to go through whatever steps I need to get certificated (is that a word?).

Anyway, I'll bet a lot of others are in a similar situation. Yeah, we should upgrade, and we'll get around to it eventually. But there is no immediate pressure to do so.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

6 hours ago, Jim Young said:

If this is your biggest problem with your day then you know what your problem is? You don't have any so you just go around making them. 

ignoramus 😄

Matthew Kane

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

Just a heads-up that not all those "Unsecure" sights are nefarious. Many are probably in the same situation as me, with a web site where I just haven't gotten around to doing the certificate thing.

The article is about everyone having the green lock and does not discuss unsecure sites that do not have the green lock.  Even if the site has a green lock, it does not mean the site has not been duplicated.  Phishing websites duplicate other websites to make you believe the site is authentic.  They then try to steal personal information you may provide.  This is mostly a concern for sites where you buy products using a credit card or other form of payment.  The phishing websites that duplicate others also have the green lock.  The green lock was supposed to avoid issues like this and why AVSIM signed up when it was first announced.

Submit News to AVSIM

7 hours ago, Jim Young said:

What is obvious is that Mr. Suck It has a serious personality disorder.

Edited by RamonB