Sign in to follow this  
Tacyon

750 POPOUT works .. panel is blank.

XP v11.26 | Garmin Trainer 6.50 | GTN 750 v 2.5.9.0

This problem predated the most recent updates (trainer and GTN 750) and I have had it running as expected for a short while. After this happened, I've just been troubleshooting and trying various approaches to resolve it, hoping it'll submit. However, this is not the case. I've reinstalled both the trainer and 750 as well as updated with the same outcome. POPOUT works fine. Panel is a blank screen.  Oh and this is in the Carenado 690B Turbo Cmdr. There are log files where they're supposed to be and only contain the two lines, version and INFO. The RealityXP.GTN.ini is in the 690B Turbo Cmdr aircraft folder and appears nominal.

Between this and f1's "protection policies" I'm a little frustrated in the inability to keep this product running. 

Edited by RXP

Hi,

Please make sure to use the forum 'search' function.

I'm pretty sure (99.99%) the RealityXP.GTN.ini file has a framerect= 0,0,0,0 for the [GTN_750_#.PANEL] section, meaning "draw to an empty rect" i.e. "draw nothing".

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Please make sure to use the forum 'search' function.  That is a pretty novel approach to product support for which paid a pretty heafy price for.  Certainly one that I would have never thought to think of ... but did " troubleshooting and trying various approaches to resolve" ... that I gleaned from this mysterious search function you speak of.

When I get a change, I will check the ini file for the aforementioned RealityXP.GTN.ini file has a framerect= 0,0,0,0

And thank you for your very gracious and insightful assistance.

• Upvote 1

@Tacyon I'm sorry if my assistance conflicts with your perception. The meaning to 'search' is first and foremost because it is a recurrent question with the same recurrent answer. This is a sound advice in this particular case, not a generic answer.

I can assure you it is answered among the 4000+ messages in this forum. More importantly, because it is already answered numerous times, I've given you the 'what to search for' (framerect=) and it is up to you to find out the many possible answers found with this keywords.

As much as I'd like to copy/paste the result of the search to save you the time to type these keywords on your keyboard, there is no such function on this forum. I'm sorry you have to type it.

Edited by RXP

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Yep - and I did right up there in the upper right hand corner of this page ... and got  ->  FOUND 0 RESULTS    (even left the formatting from my copy and paste)  also did it from the top level of the forum. But enough of the back and forth. My point was that I did use search (basic element of self help) long before posting here.  In the interest of sanity, I just did a search from the forum home page, ALL CONTENT, any, any, any, for the term framerect and again got zero results .. I lied ... I got this thread.  

I also did a search for framerect= in the RealityXP.GTN.ini in the 690B Turbo Cmdr aircraft folder and it doesn't exist the that ini file either which I'm (having) to guess is the issue. Yes?  What should it read and where in the ini file should it be placed?

Abandoned the search function on AVSIM and went to google - searched for "framerect =  carenado" and got a single thread from you back in september where I learned that I SHOULD be looking for "frame.rect =" which IS in my INI file.

Now, how do I get the correct cords placed back in there?  But just as important, what the heck is changing this and how do we (me) prevent it from getting changed. I presume there is no valid reason to be moving its cords around in a 3D, established panel.

Edited by Tacyon
  • Upvote 1

Hi,

I'm sorry for the typo and the missing 'dot' indeed.

I've just tried the search function:

1. go to the top level Reality XP support forum were you see the 4 sub forums: general, x-plane, flight sim, legacy)
  2. type "frame.rect" (without the quotes) in the search field to the top right and press enter
  3. This shows at least 3 pages on my test.

The gist is that this tells where-to draw the GTN in the 3D cockpit. It is explained in details in the User's Manual p10.

Whenever it doesn't show up in the 3D cockpit, the reasons could be:

• The gauge render targets settings 'drawto' is missing a rendering section for the 3D cockpit
  • The 'rendering' section referenced in the 'drawto' setting is set 'visible=false'
  • The 'rendering' section has an empty 'frame.rect'
  • The 'rendering' section 'frame.type' is not set for 3D cockpit (must be at least PANEL3D, covers your back when using PANELS)

In your case, the RealityXP.GTN.ini rendering section frame.rect setting was reset to 'empty' for unknown reasons. We are still looking for the cause with Carenado and haven't came to any sane conclusion yet. This most likely is a race condition between the time they re-configure their cockpit live to show up the GTN 3D bezel, and our plugin initializing the GTN when activated.

Restoring the ini file to the Carenado's default resolves this.

Very interesting. There are two things that have to be in effect or configured for search to work. (the reason I never just answer my customer's with "use the search function" - too much like a traffic cop in a retail store)

I did your steps 1-2-3 and still got FOUND 0 RESULTS. Then I went into advanced search and changed (default?) setting from TOPIC to ALL CONTENT and then repeated the search and got the three pages you referenced. Two of the returns were our conversations which not have been of help until these last two post that contain substantive, useful data. Moral of the search story, there are other factories that could affect peoples results. You can't always assume that they've NOT used the search. Also, if you don't know exactly WHAT you're looking for, the search terms used may get the user no where helpful.

Now, on to the meat and potatoes. In my case, the frame.rect = located in the [GTN_750_1.PANEL3D] section of RealityXP.GTN.ini in the Aircraft\690B Turbo Cmdr folder did in fact contain all zeros. (frame.rect = 0,0,0,0) Based on a comment from another user in one of these other posts, I remembered, Hey, I made a backup zip of this directory at one time. Until knowing and having a logical reason to restore a file, it was relevant to my bean. I restored the file which for me, this line reads -> frame.rect = 1218,2048,830,1024  which of for me, is for my screen resolution of 3840x2160 and the aircraft panel design for the Carenado 690B Turbo Cmdr. Storing this file, worked. (of course, since we know now that the frame.rect = 0,0,0,0 was the problem.

Since we don't know what or why this is happening, nor how to prevent it while still allowing normal operations, I've simply created a copy of the file with a .bak at the end. Now whenever it gets borked, I'll simply overwrite with the backup. A shame I (we) have to do this but ... meh.  Bigger fish to fry elsewhere.

Jean-Luc, thank you for your assist. I'm sorry that I had to drag it out of you with my dentistry skills. But hopefully this post will/can be found by others easier. Ever think about making one of these a "pinned" or top level FAQ?  Especially since you noted  "it is already answered numerous times"yet didn't show up in any of my initial searches for reasons. If not a pinned thread, not wanting to re-explain yourself each time, a link to a thread that you presume addresses the issue.

Just sayin .... 

Peace out !

• Upvote 1

Thank you for these good advises! I'm glad you've got all sorted out despite me leading your to dead end searches initially.

This topic must certainly be found in any Carenado related forum as well, but I won't vouch for it then.

Please, make sure to keep this backup, and eventually if this happens again and there is any chance you remember any specific action in the simulator prior or during loading the aircraft or the GTN which could have lead to this, make sure to come back and share so that this could help both RXP and Carenado to find out what is the root cause.