Sign in to follow this  

War of the Worlds

>Since it's a Spielberg movie it's bound to be cheesy, that>man can destroy almost any good script, like Hollywood in>general.>"Schindlers List", regarding the holocaust was a Spielberg movie, and I certainly didn't find it "cheesy". Same for "Saving Private Ryan".And then there is Close Encounters, Always, the Back To the Future films, Indiana Jones, and many more. I myself, am actually quite a fan of most Spielberg movies.L.Adamson

Spielberg is one of the better directors, but he gets it wrong sometimes :)Saving private Ryan I found quite cheesy, as well as being full of historical and military errors (I'd call some of the latter artistic license though, some of reality just doesn't work on the screen :)).Close encounters was cheesy, the later Back to the Future movies were as well (they milked that cashcow for too long, same as a lot of movie series).

Guest Jimbofly

I'm at an advantage. I've never seen or read the original.James

You know the philosophy of Movies is to escape, being in the Theater or in your own Home Theater. Get yourself popcorn (or a beer, scotch, whatever) relax and escape. Put yourself in another mood and don

Stelios Christofides

Guest ThrottleUp

Im not a big movie-goer either, probably watch 2/yr max, sometimes none.But what really gets to me is the 10000000000000000 commercials & trailers we all have to sit through before the film I gather that a certain state in America (I forgot which one) has passed a law ordering movie theaters to give *two* times: the "regular" start-time (all the commercials) & the actual movie start-time. Apparently some politician had to sit through the usual horde of shampoo, car, insurance adverts (in addition to loads of trailers)and that got his goat.Now why can't that happen everywhere please don't link images to other sites

>Spielberg is one of the better directors, but he gets it>wrong sometimes :)>>Saving private Ryan I found quite cheesy, as well as being>full of historical and military errors (I'd call some of the>latter artistic license though, some of reality just doesn't>work on the screen :)).>>Close encounters was cheesy, the later Back to the Future>movies were as well (they milked that cashcow for too long,>same as a lot of movie series).Just like film reviewers, we all have different opinions. I remember that national film critic, Gene .....what's his last name, telling national TV audiences that "Titanic" would fail after the first week , once the word got out...L.Adamson

Guest jordanmoore

The "Back to the Future" trilogy was from Robert Zemeckis (not Spielberg).Also the original War of the Worlds movie was quite far removed from the original War of the Worlds story. So much so that it was difficult to watch for anyone expecting a good rendition of the original story. Although when not compared to the original story, it is a classic American Sci-fi movie worthy of being in anyone's collection.My first real experience with War of the Worlds was from listening the British produced musical version. The one that came on a set of vinyl records. As a child, I found that very fascinating and frightening. It also taught me the power of radio/audio only entertainment. Does anyone remember this version? I finally found it again as an adult, and the magic wasn't the same....Man, I sure do miss being a kid.I certainly will see this movie, but I might wait until its out on pay-per-view. I don't much enjoy the theaters any more.Jordan Moore

Guest artmartin

Speaking of musical versions and I don't think we're alluding to the same thing, one of the best produced vinyls of War of the Worlds was produced by Jeff Wayne (think that was his name). It consisted of Richard Burton reading the text of the book with songs dispersed throughout performed by Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues. His rendition of "Forever Autumn" is one of my alltime favorite songs.Art Martin

Guest jordanmoore

Art,Based off your description and details, I'm pretty sure that you and I are talking about the same one.Jordan Moore

>"Schindlers List", regarding the holocaust was a Spielberg>movie, and I certainly didn't find it "cheesy". Same for>"Saving Private Ryan".>>And then there is Close Encounters, Always, the Back To the>Future films, Indiana Jones, and many more. I myself, am>actually quite a fan of most Spielberg movies.I'm with you. Spielberg can give you a good variety of topics, from cheesey to historical, but they almost always leave you with a good feeling, and the feeling that your money was well spent. Even though he didn't direct any segments, that I noticed, Spielberg and Tom Hanks did a fantastic job on "Band of Brothers". That, by far, was the best done war epic that I've ever seen. Another Spielberg trait that we should ALL appreciate is that he uses appropriate/real sounds for aircraft in his films. It's so nice to hear a P-51 with a Merlin engine, instead of some generic radial engine. I loved that scene from "Empire of the Sun". :)

BobK

I went and saw War of the worlds today. I thought it was pretty good,from what I remember of the book, it followed it at least :). The special effects were very good. I heard on a radio interview that they used the real life 10th mountain division soldiers as soldiers in the film. I thought that was pretty cool. The little girl in the film,dakota fanning was a good actress, but she had an annoying habitof whining too much :). The alien tripods were awesome and very menacing in their apearance alone. I don't get into an actors politics or religion much. As long as they do a believable job of acting in a movie is what i focus on. Movies are just escapism for me. :). A chance to get away from life for a few hours. Nothing more. Man,that sound the alien machines made before they attack, that was chilling, kinda like a cross between a train horn and a fog horn. Oh well enough of my rambling :). Matt

Guest Ken_Salter

All I could think about during those scense was:"Half Life 2"

Guest dsflyer

A good thing with WOTW is that the alien life forms look mean and menacing. Does anyone remember the aliens in 'Close Encounters'...i thought they looked a bit silly:-lol. If i was an alien (which i'm not) i'd be well miffed. I bet, if you ask anyone to draw an alien from a distant galaxy, although their drawings will look unusual, the drawings will have at least one eye, arms, legs and a body! Any psychologists out there no why that is? :-lol CheersDan

>Just like film reviewers, we all have different opinions. I>remember that national film critic, Gene .....what's his last>name, telling national TV audiences that "Titanic" would fail>after the first week , once the word got out...>He was right about the quality of the movie (terrible) but wrong about the public's reaction to it (acceptance because the stars looked so nice together and the marketing hyped it so much).

I have the musical version, both on record and on CD.The CD version is inferior, sound quality is poor (too clean, asceptic) and parts have been removed to make it fit.