Sign in to follow this  
slsbacic

CTD After Overclock - 8700K 5.0

Hello everybody.  I´m using the P3D 4.3. 

I have a 8700k and a Gigabyte Z370M AORUS Gaming DDR4 and a EVGA GeForce GTX1080 and yesterday I´ve made an overclock to 5.0 Ghz.

If i try to fly with the overclock, i have a CTD after 20-30 minutes, if i fly without the overclock i can finish my flight. But, i realy want to fly using the overclock. Any idea of what do to?

Thanks. 

How have you tested the stability of the overclock?  Does it pass at least a 2-4 hour test run under heavy load (Prime95, OCCT etc)?

Are you monitoring the temps in P3D?  If it's progressive overheating of the CPU, then perhaps a better cooling solution is in order.  If the temps aren't super high (like 80 deg C and above), then probably your voltages need more work to get things stable under load.

Regards.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hello, only test that i´ve made, was with Cinebench, and the temperatures are fine.

After that, I´ve just entered in P3d and crahed after 10 minutes of flying.

I agree with Bob.  I have never overclocked a laptop though.  You do not have the water-cooling options you can get with a case.  Here's a link to someone who overclocked to 4.9GHz -

Without some sort of water-cooling, I would suspect it would be very difficult to overclock to 5.0 and sustain it for a long period of time without overheating.  P3D is very resource intensive.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 11/28/2018 at 12:38 PM, slsbacic said:

Hello everybody.  I´m using the P3D 4.3. 

I have a 8700k and a Gigabyte Z370M AORUS Gaming DDR4 and a EVGA GeForce GTX1080 and yesterday I´ve made an overclock to 5.0 Ghz.

If i try to fly with the overclock, i have a CTD after 20-30 minutes, if i fly without the overclock i can finish my flight. But, i realy want to fly using the overclock. Any idea of what do to?

Thanks. 

You need to do more stability testing than just 1 run of cinebench. The fact P3D is crashing is showing you that your overclock is unstable and you either need to up the voltage or reduce the multiplier. If you don't know what these things are, read up on overclocking some more because instability is a natural part of finding the right settings. You can't just type in 50 and expect everything to work.

7800X3D - RTX 2080 FE - 64GB DDR5 - Dan C4-SFX

I ran RealBench for 8 hrs and then Prime95 for 8 hrs to confirm stable overclock. 1 hr is too short.

Jason C CYYJ

Prepar3D v5.0 | i9-10900K 5.0 GHz (OC) | Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm Rad | MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X 8GB | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200MHz (OC) | GIGABYTE Z490 Aorus Ultra | XPG GAMMIX S11 PRO 2TB NVMe SSD | Corsair RM850i 850W PS | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Dell 27 inch G-Sync 144Hz Gaming Monitor

You have an unstable overclock.  A short stress test is not indicative of stability.  Stress testing with a program such as Prime 95 over the course of several hours is a far better test of an overclock.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I recently had a similar issue with my current build (see specs in signature).  It took me over a month to figure it out. Some crashes were CTD's and some were BSOD's (which indicates a driver or hardware issue).  Overclocked to 5.0 and it ran well but P3DV4 would randomly crash after 20-30 minutes with different faulting modules (none related to P3D or any addon).  Temps were in the 40's.  Memory modules were showing they were all running well and overclocked. Took computer apart to make sure pins under the CPU were not bent and all was well there. Reset Windows a couple of times. Ran Checkdisk for all drives.  Ran Windows Memory Diagnostics.  Made sure Windows 10 was up-to-date.  Ran Driver Booster to check for any driver issues.  Checked GPU to make sure it was seated properly and fans were running okay.  I had memory modules in every slot (a total of 32 GB's) and decided to remove two of them and read on the Internet one bad module can cause crashes.  It turned out one module was causing the crash.  It was showing up in the BIOS and in AIDA64 Extreme programs as working properly and not overheating, but, when I removed two modules, one of which was bad, P3D ran flawlessly.  I verified the module was bad by removing the two good modules and replacing them with the modules I had removed and the one module was definitely bad.  Again, Windows would boot okay and I could run P3D for 20-30 minutes (and sometimes two hours or more) but eventually it CTD'd so I no longer use that module.  Have not had a crash since and I'm easily flying at 5.0GHz with modules overclocked.  So, just saying, even though your system is showing good memory modules, that may not be necessarily so, especially with P3D, the ultimate stress test for any computer system.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10