Sign in to follow this  
flyblueskies

How do I clone my D: (SSD) drive to new higher capacity SSD?

Hello, hoping for some help.

I have Windows 10 HOME addition. My P3DV4 is on my D drive, which is a Samsung EVO 1 TB drive. It also contains several PMDG planes...

As I'm beginning to run out of space, I purchased a Samsung 2 TB SSD and would like to completely transfer (clone) all data from my D drive to the new SSD.

The Samsung Data migration software will only transfer a hard drive which contains the operating system, which my D drive does not have...

How can I clone my D drive to my new 2TB SSD?

Edited by flyblueskies

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

You could also try Clonezilla:  

https://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/03_Disk_to_disk_clone

Hopefully you can use that 1TB SSD for archives or some other function!  Nice to have

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

I7-10700k, RTX4070, 32gb-3200mhz | Dell U3415W | Saitek Pro Pedals & Logitech 3D Extreme | - PMDG Boeings, iFly MAX, Fenix A320, Leonardo MadDog and Majestic Q400 | P3Dv5 & MSFS

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I do have Samsung Magician, but it looks like it's a SSD maintenance program. I;m not sure how to use it as a cloning program. By chance, do you have any links that show me how to use it to clone drives?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

For years, I use GParted (a bootable system on CD).

Allow also partition resizing and move.

The best opensource utility 😉

Gérard

6 hours ago, flyblueskies said:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I do have Samsung Magician, but it looks like it's a SSD maintenance program. I;m not sure how to use it as a cloning program. By chance, do you have any links that show me how to use it to clone drives?

Actually, you are right.. you need the data migration program.. sorry!

Bert

As I'm beginning to run out of space, I purchased a Samsung 2 TB SSD and would like to completely transfer (clone) all data from my D drive to the new SSD.

The Samsung Data migration software will only transfer a hard drive which contains the operating system, which my D drive does not have...

How can I clone my D drive to my new 2TB SSD?

Hi,

What's wrong with copying the data over from the old drive to the new drive? You can do it with the Explorer after you installed the new drive in your computer.

Best Regards

Frank

May I insist ? GParted IS the solution. Used for years to move from HDD to SSD and SSD to larger SSD (including for the system drive) as well as partitions resizing.

Take a look here  https://gparted.org/

Trust me 🙂

Gérard

Edited by gaab

6 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Actually, you are right.. you need the data migration program.. sorry!

No problem Bert. I've used many of your GTN mod's in my planes and very much appreciate your help. Thank you for 'chiming' in and offering to help me.

@gaab and Frank, will consider both options. I did think about simply copying over using Explorer as Frank suggests. If I did this, I think I need to deactivate P3DV4, my PMDG add-on's, and a few others like the Maddog, before I copy or clone.

Thanks again for every ones' input.

I think I need to deactivate P3DV4, my PMDG add-on's, and a few others like the Maddog, before I copy or clone.

Hi,

What do you mean with 'deactivate'? The licenses? I think this should not be necessary; but it will not be wrong as a safety measure. Usually, if license providers link their licenses to hardware then it would be against the MoBo because swapping a hard drive is not such an uncommon thing.

Best Regards
Frank

2 hours ago, mdata said:

Hi,

What do you mean with 'deactivate'? The licenses? I think this should not be necessary; but it will not be wrong as a safety measure. Usually, if license providers link their licenses to hardware then it would be against the MoBo because swapping a hard drive is not such an uncommon thing.

Best Regards
Frank

Yep, that's what I mean. I'd hate to copy before deactivating the licenses and then find out they won't work. Then I'd have to wait for all of them to help me out...

Of course, if someone has already copied or cloned successfully without deactivating the licenses, it would be great if they would share their experience.

51 minutes ago, flyblueskies said:

Yep, that's what I mean. I'd hate to copy before deactivating the licenses and then find out they won't work. Then I'd have to wait for all of them to help me out...

Of course, if someone has already copied or cloned successfully without deactivating the licenses, it would be great if they would share their experience.

If it's not a bootable device, and you're not trying to preserve a partition, then a straight file copy from one drive to the other is as good as anything.

Once you're done, swap drive letters so that the new drive has the drive letter of the old P3D drive, and see if everything works.  If not, you can swap the drive letters back to the original drive and then do the whole deactivation thing.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

OK, jumping back in..  A simple copy will actually work.

I have done this in the past.

As Bob said, swap the drive letters after the copy.

Your software addons should not notice the difference.

• Like 1

Bert

Really appreciate all the help!

I am up and running so far...

I did copy my folders from the old drive to the new drive using File Explorer.

I then swapped the drive letters just as suggested. So far, so good.

P3DV4 starts up OK, my PMDG planes work OK, my Maddog works OK, and my TFDI works OK.

I think I'm good, but will continue testing to be sure.

You guys are great and really appreciate all your help!