Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

First reactions to P3Dv4.4

3 minutes ago, AAN1718A said:

Please make sure that you not only uninstall ALL Prepar3D modules (Client, Content, Scenery etc.) from windows. But also delete all the LM folders on your drive (<user>\AppData\Local & Roaming, and In the Program Data if you truly want to do a clean-reinstall.

I have yet to see any uninstall routine really and truly remove all traces of itself.

I'm already crying thinking about all of the time it's going to take me to do a reinstall.  My internet can be so slow at times since my computer is a floor above my wifi router.  That's a lot of time downloading!

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

26 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

FSDT PBR Preview

Looks nice but hard to see the gain vs some of the great sceneries in P3D 4.3 as some already looks amazing if you include SODE wet textures..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

too much, too soon....

Just now, Rob Ainscough said:

I've never experience that in my testing ... are you using a 3rd party product that might cause this (front end like SimStarter or something else)?  Sounds like perhaps the option to bypass the scenario screen is being set ... can you confirm this?

Cheers, Rob.

Definitely not, I keep my sim pretty lean because of FPS issues (from what I'm reading it may improve with v4.4), no max settings, addons are limited to UTL and OrbxPeopleFlow. I disable these when doing an update. It's just a matter of changing the sliders back to where I want them, not that big a hassle, but beats a re-install. 😀

Michael Lagow
Madness Software

10 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

From what baseline? 3 fps from 100 fps is nothing, 3 fps from 15 fps is a big improvement. Is it addon Amsterdam scenery?

Fly tampa  scenery, AI on 100pc, orbx Nederlanden, graphics most on max... before around 20fps now around 22-23fps a gain of 10-15pc as announced in some treats. Think most time near the 10pc. Be positive!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Maikel van der Heijden said:

Location maps of those files do not change.

If you reinstall Content and Scenery everything added will be lost.

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

28 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

I will install the client only option this evening, and if I'm happy with the way photoscenery is loading, I will stick with P3d, as opposed to jumping ship in favour of XP. I'll then do a complete install on my new 1Tb SSD 😃 So that will be the best part of the next two weeks sorted! 😒

That is what I did.

1. Uninstall V4.3. Client

2. Install .NET update

3. Install V4.4. client

4. Delete Shaders

5. Start up P3D

Worked like a charm.. just a bit of a wait first time.. be patient.

Hit F11 if you get antsy..

• Like 2

Bert

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

That is what I did.

1. Uninstall V4.3. Client

2. Install .NET update

3. Install V4.4. client

4. Delete Shaders

5. Start up P3D

Worked like a charm.. just a bit of a wait first time.. be patient.

Hit F11 if you get antsy..

Sorry to be dim Bert, but what is .NET update?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Lots of good information, but I was hoping somebody can answer these questions in one go, so that we finally have a 'that's-the-way-it-is' type answer. What I'm looking for is a detailed answer that delineates what will be slot and what will stay the same, rather than the "everything will go/stay" type answers that we have seen a lot in this thread.

Like others here I'm thinking of doing a client-only update as the thought of reconfiguring hundreds of addons that, right now, work very well together, makes me cry. However, of course I would like to see the full effect of whatever it is P3Dv4.4 improves. So here's some questions with regards to what exactly gets changed when content and scenery gets updated (e.g. through a full reinstall, rather then the modular ones). Here's my understanding of it:

1. Anything that was installed OUTSIDE the P3Dv4 folder and added through the addon.xml method will be fine, correct? This includes stuff like FSDT and the Aerosoft Airbus series.
  2. Self-contained installations, added through the addons.cfg, will also be fine, correct? This includes the P3Dv4-converted FlyTampa sceneries (e.g. Kai Tak, Vienna, Boston...)
  3. Sceneries and aircraft installed INTO the P3Dv4 folder that place files into default P3Dv4 folders but that DO NOT overwrite any default files, and have been (automatically or manually, though Lorbi's P3Dv4 addon manager) added through the addon.xml method, will also be fine, correct? This would include many older Aerosoft sceneries.
  4. As point 3, but added through the scenery.cfg, may be lost, if the scenery.cfg is not backed-up, correct? Personally I have migrated everything besides OrbX to addon.xml, so to me this will not be an issue.
  5. Special cases, such as OrbX sceneries, are easy to reinstall by opening FTXCentral, which reactivates the scenery in the scenery.cfg automatically, correct?
  6. Any sceneries or aircraft that OVERWRITE ANY DEFAULT FILES, doesn't matter where the scenery was installed, will be compromised, correct? This includes, sadly, quite a lot of freeware sceneries, many of which are still from FSX times. A lot of these I did add, as much as I can, through addon.xml, but there are certain scenbery files that need to overwrite default scenery files, otherwise you'll run into all kinds of elevation issues.
  7. Utilities such as FTX Global, ASCA and EnvTex, that replace default files of whatever kind, will need to be reconfigured, right? IMPORTANTLY: these do not need to be reinstalled, as the base software is independent from P3Dv4. HOWEVER, you will have to run their texture replacement routine again. Thus, you will have to open EnvTex and reinstall textures, same with ASCA and FTX Global.
  8. Utlities such as UTLive that run outside of P3Dv4 and don't appear to interact with P3Dv4 files directly (besides being run at P3Dv4 runtime), will be fine, since exe.xml and dll.xml files are not deleted/changed by the full reinstall of P3Dv4.4 (unless you manually delete those files), correct? I assume this, because the PMDG planes were reported to work well after the updates?

I think all that probably sums it up. If anybody could be so kind as to just answer yes or no to these points, that'd be a great help!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

11 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

I'm already crying thinking about all of the time it's going to take me to do a reinstall.  My internet can be so slow at times since my computer is a floor above my wifi router.  That's a lot of time downloading!

I feel your pain brother, it's shouldn't have to be that way. I spend hours configuring aircraft CFG files because someone thinks it funny to have a default zoom of .30 on all views (1.0 people … 1.0!). Don't get me starting on the naming conventions for the aircraft call sign list. Majestic and Aerosoft completely bork that file on each of their aircraft. Generaly if it's not broke, I don't fix it. v4.4 might be better in some ways, but it's mostly eye candy and lighting and blah, blah. I'm waiting for the core sim to be fixed.

I have a high end CPU and HIGH end graphic card, GSYNC, VSINC and just Plain SYNC. I still get blurries after 20 minutes of flight on medium settings. It's nuts, PBR (for me) isn't a good enough reason to update IMO.

Michael Lagow
Madness Software

35 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

FSDT PBR Preview

Wow, and thank you Umberto ... I hope he releases this soon.  Amazing!

The specular results are real world, that's the benefit of PBR, what you see outside should map correctly to what you see in simulation when PBR materials are used from a quality PBR materials library.  

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, how can a tired, outdated, ancient rendering engine do this?😉

Edited by jabloomf1230
  • Like 3

Hi Folks,

Wow - that is a spectacular video of FSDT's work - seems like a real game changer - stunning...

Looking forward to seeing a similar video of the first high quality aircraft done with full PBR textures - just to see what we are capable of...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

6 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Wow, and thank you Umberto ... I hope he releases this soon.  Amazing!

The specular results are real world, that's the benefit of PBR, what you see outside should map correctly to what you see in simulation when PBR materials are used from a quality PBR materials library.  

Cheers, Rob.

I agree Rob lot's of fun with PBR stuff...

André

3 hours ago, Maikel van der Heijden said:

Why? Uninstall client, install client, uninstall scenery, install scenery, uninstall content, install content. For you next run FTX central, FSDT live updater and install the Active Sky Beta patch. Thereafter you'll be good to go.

No, no, and no!

If you run Orbx FTX Global, which globally replaces the stock textures, just running FTX Central will not do the trick.  You have to completely reinstall FTXG after the (scenery) update.

Similarly, the Orbx Landclass regions involve a massive amount of reclassification and replacement of landclass and landclass lookup files, and a simple run of FTX Central does *not* fix that, either.

Vector sceneries, such as UTX or Orbx Vector, which make significant changes to terrain.cfg and/or autogen.cfg files also needs attention post-reinstall.

Sceneries that install effects, textures, sounds, and elevation correction files may or may not work correctly after an update...certainly any of them that replaces a stock file will be affected, as that file will be deleted and replaced with the stock file as part of the P3D reinstall.

All of this is manageable if you have a good and fairly complete working knowledge of how/where your add-ons are installed, and how they work.  If you don't, a clean reinstall and rebuild is the better option if you're not willing to be troubleshooting a bunch of issues (elevation problems, missing autogen, missing or incorrect landclass tiles, etc) later.

Regards

• Upvote 3

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

35 minutes ago, GSalden said:

If you reinstall Content and Scenery everything added will be lost.

Never had that problem, addons (that don't require an update) work as before the update, such as scenery. I'm going to try next week so I can report back if you want.

EDIT: Just read the comment above my post here, try for yourself and see if that works.

Edited by Maikel van der Heijden