Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

First reactions to P3Dv4.4

25 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Hmm, am I the only person who is just a tad disappointed?

Wow really, you're disappointed with how Umberto's PBR work looks in P3D V4.4?  I'm not sure what to say ... it's a work of art and other developers are likely to follow because PBR will sell, so what exactly are your expectations for V4.x release?

Cheers, Rob.

5 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Wow really, you're disappointed with how Umberto's PBR work looks in P3D V4.4?  I'm not sure what to say ... it's a work of art and other developers are likely to follow because PBR will sell, so what exactly are your expectations for V4.x release?

Cheers, Rob.

I here its not coming soon Rob, Sadly. 

I wonder if the long waited KLAS that seems well overdue, I wonder if that might be because of PBR?

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

5 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I think some people expect to see this:image.jpg

All without realising that we're actually not that far away from this.

PBR is included in P3D now, with FSDT are showing the way. Plus the new EDDK by Jo Sund (Aerosoft) is spectacularly detailed.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Short PBR vid.  Better lighting for less work

Cheers 

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Sorry to be dim Bert, but what is .NET update?

If you do not have microsoft .NET 4.7 installed, the client installer will ask you to install it as a prereq..

• Upvote 1

Bert

I'm appreciating everyones first impressions, thanks.😉

2 hours ago, tooting said:

dxgi issues been fixed ?

I don't whether these are in P3D's province, or more to do with the video card and its drivers.

I just had one in P3D4.4. First time I've run it at a busy EGLL at night. I have been testing it all day with no problems, mostly at EGLL. I don't recall whether my previous instances of the error were also at night -- I'll start keeping a record. It was okay at EGCC at night. But that isn't struggling for performance.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

My personal experience with this update is a favourable one for me. Being my first time updating P3D, it was a bit intimidating, fear of the unknown so to speak. After updating the Client ONLY, I did the standard deletion of the Prepar3D.cfg and scenery.cfg files along with the Shader Folder before launching the updated P3Dv4.4 ( I of course had backups for the *.cfg's). I must say the textures all round (OK I won't say "seem to be") are sharper deeper looking than before. I can't say the FPS is better, about the same 35-40 Payware airports and 60 - 70 in the air (not a concern for me anyway, I just want smoothness). What I am happy about, after I excited the sim after the first launch I just plopped my backup Prepar3D.cfg and scenery.cfg files into the sim and relaunched the sim. I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive, but everything loaded as NORMAL. Call me lucky or fortunate but It is as if I had never updated to 4.4, it didn't hurt a bit. All of my payware Aircraft, PMDG, TFDi, Quality Wings, Aerosoft, Majestic loaded successfully! As a continue my sim experience with P3Dv4.4, I will of course check out my airports on a case by case basis as I fly (or apply a Developer update as required). But overall, this being my first experience in updating P3D, I am happy with the outcome at this time.

BTW: EZDOK is working normally without the update.

Regards

Edited by TomCYYZ

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Because everything is 1's and 0's ... quantum computing is still a few years/decades away yet so we're stuck with transistor states. 🙂

Cheers, Rob.

I guess we're temporarily trapped like Arthur Morgan in a silicon valley.

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob, I need to engage my brain before operating my mouth 😏 Now that I have just installed and flown, I think LM have done a sterling job. I still see some terrain shifting in high mesh loading areas, but overall I am very happy. Will it prevent my move to XP? Probably 😃

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

18 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Will it prevent my move to XP? Probably

Not my concern, fly one or all platforms or just two ... that's entirely your business to enjoy as you see fit ... it's a small market, but "some" competition is good (too much can actually be bad). 

It'll take time for content to shift to PBR ... but that's not the only significant benefit in P3D V4.4 ... PR scenery at 512 and 1024 res is a huge improvement along with other tweaks that keeps everything in VRAM.  The real challenge will be getting more content providers to start using the P3D SDK ... there is so much more in the P3D SDK that is not being tapped ... and now that memory isn't an issue, I'm hoping it will be tapped by more developers.

Cheers, Rob.

1 minute ago, Rob Ainscough said:

PR scenery at 512 and 1024 res 

Is this something that can be adjusted somewhere in P3D?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

1 minute ago, Rockliffe said:

Is this something that can be adjusted somewhere in P3D?

Yes (PR follows the same settings path as LC), if you stick with UI settings then you'll get 512 (which in most cases works very well) ... 1024 requires the same LC tweak TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 provided you have Hi Res tiles checked in UI.  You might want to look at my thread here for more info on "tweaking" options.

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Hi Rob, I need to engage my brain before operating my mouth 😏 Now that I have just installed and flown, I think LM have done a sterling job. I still see some terrain shifting in high mesh loading areas, but overall I am very happy. Will it prevent my move to XP? Probably 😃

Rob,

I watched your Youtube and I don't see where you added the Texture_Size?  I never have tweaked P3D (Like I did in FSX).  Do I have to add the statement above (TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10) in Prepar3d.cfg and what section do I add that in?   I do appreciate all you do for our community.  Thank you in advance.

I installed what I thought was 4.4 but it turned out to be old code somehow, so I had to back it out, regroup, and try again.  Worked fine second time around, no issues to report, smooth as always, I felt autogen was a bit smoother than in the past, but I only autogen with trees and I am extremely aggressive on the draw distance, it is maxed.  Otherwise I fly over photoreal scenery.  The hard part was disk space, the new built requires 16GB but you need double that amount, you first have to extract from the zip, delete the zip, run the builds, then delete the builds if you are tight on disk space.  So I shuffled things around a bit, deleted stuff I did not need, and came in under the wire without having to remove or reinstall any of my add-ons.  I like the way the P3D (and Xplane) process respects the presence of add-ons and the scenery.cfg entries, I have no worries about the upgrade process when one is announced, goes so smooth but I do not have add ons which push the limits or use much of their own tweaks and code.

John