Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

First reactions to P3Dv4.4

I've just come inside from my sim and I am sooo excited! Everything I wanted to get from V4.4 has been delivered. I have done several tests, mainly around photosceneries, which was always my big bugbear. I thought I'd pop into the cfg the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP = 10 tweak...wooow! With all sliders set at mid to high, I have seen stunning results. No delayed texture loading, if so, then it is very little, no blurries and textures crisp and sharp. I've kept all my sliders at the same settings as usual, with the exception of LOD and tesselation factor, which are both set at max. Also, the sim is a LOT smoother. I have a test scenario at LEBL, where a lot of the time taxiing around the runways and terminal areas I see frames mid twenties, today I flew in a thunderstorm, with traffic set at 30, sliders all mid to high and the FPS never dropped below 30! Equally important, it was as smooth as a babies bottom! The other thing I was hoping would have been cured, is the occasional pause for the odd second, which I still experience.

Other tests were in the A2A P180 at Orbx Jackson Hole and Valdez, both surrounded with stunning mountainous photoscenery. At each of these sceneries I was always frustrated, at both airports the mountains were always blurred when viewed from the runway, today they are crisp and sharp! I guess XP will have to wait a while longer 😃

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

PBR lives on folks!!!

PBR at it’s best!!!

• Like 1

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

My experience is framerates are broadly similar, except with photo scenery at altitude I'm seeing a 20% FPS drop, although the distance scenery textures are much sharper. At low level I'm seeing no difference, and same for night flying low level over regular scenery. For the me the update is worth it for the photoscenery sharpness improvements alone, I'll probably leave it enabled now when I fly my airliner stuff.

• Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

16 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I flew over SeattleX and swear I could see the potholes especially over the industrial area between Boeing Field and Seattle.  Did a flight today from Wash Dulles to Chicago and had all of my State MSE photoscenery enabled and it was as real as I have ever seen.  I think this is just the tip of the iceberg.  More to come.

Jim

Nice to see another MSE user here :) I absolutely agree -- with the Use High Definition Textures checked the clarity is outstanding. In 4.4,  was at KPHX and you could see mountains fading in the haze far from the airport. Tomorrow will try KPHX - KRNO and see what other areas look like! I installed both client and content with no apparent issues now that Active Sky is updated!

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

15 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

I've just come inside from my sim and I am sooo excited! Everything I wanted to get from V4.4 has been delivered

You see, and you were judging and being disappointed hours ago before even trying it.

Glad to see you are happy and confirming what me and many others have been saying, this is the best release by far from LM, it cannot be missed.

I would be nice if you also post your happiness at LM forums, all LM developers worked very hard for months, I was a witness of that and they will be very pleased to hear positive feedback like this.

They totally deserve the gratitude and congratulations from everyone.

Regards 

Simbol 

• Like 8

Installing v 4.4 by doing the client, then the content and then the scenery totally jacked my sim up. It just sits on the black screen with sound for an indefinite amount of time. 

If I press alt+enter or Ctrl+alt+delete to see what's going on. It just goes to the desktop.

If I click anywhere on the black screen. Windows makes a sound like I'm not clicking in some sort of window.

I'm doing a clean reinstall next week. 

Oh well.

Edited by ahsmatt7

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

30 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Installing v 4.4 by doing the client, then the content and then the scenery totally jacked my sim up. It just sits on the black screen with sound for an indefinite amount of time. 

If I press alt+enter or Ctrl+alt+delete to see what's going on. It just goes to the desktop.

If I click anywhere on the black screen. Windows makes a sound like I'm not clicking in some sort of window.

I'm doing a clean reinstall next week. 

Oh well.

Hold on, before you do that, do you have the FSLabs installed? I read a post describing similar symptoms and he said that uninstalling the FSLabs cured the problem. Apparently it throws up an error that stops the sim from loading.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

The performance doesn't really feel any better or worse for me, which is rather disappointing.

I also fail to really see any difference with their default F-16. Wasn't it supposed to showcase PBR? I suppose there's some minor difference, but it might be my imagination.

In any case. My main problem now is that the scenery tiles pose problems. I did a clean reinstall, and when I flew around the default location, I saw weird flickering tiles that showed the entirety of the continental United States, and other continents of the world. It's hard to explain, but it was really weird.

I did a repair, and that seemed to solve the issue. But now the airports have black night tiles during the middle of the day.

Something seems corrupted, but I made sure to uninstall the old version of P3D and delete the old residual folders, so I'm not sure why that would be the case.

This is a solid release by LM, the beta testers tested this release real well.  All I can hope to be a beta tester for LM.  One of their office is even next door to my building (but LM team is in Florida, and I am in the North East...😆).

For best stablity in the sim.  Use Prepar3d designed addons....not going into debate on what can be put in.  I do not have any legacy stuff in my sim period.  Stability is paramount.  

4.4 is the release which should have been out when 4.0 came.  Super rock solid so far.  Only few months will tell, and then the cycle repeats in 6 months 😉

Thank You LM team for amazing work on this major v4 release 😊

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

11 hours ago, pao said:

No one is using a camera add-on like EZDOK here ? 

The developer said he would have a beta patch out tomorrow, and then a new installer in a week.  I love EZdok, and wouldn't use P3D without it.

Heads up everyone, if you upgrade the scenery you have re-install FTX Global, trees and ObjectFlow or you get some weird patches, because basic ORBX scenery stuff gets replaced by the new scenery install.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

1 hour ago, Benjamin J said:

Hold on, before you do that, do you have the FSLabs installed? I read a post describing similar symptoms and he said that uninstalling the FSLabs cured the problem. Apparently it throws up an error that stops the sim from loading.

You might be on to something. I'll uninstall that first and try it. Thanks for stopping me. It's the first time in a long time that I would have had to do a complete reinstall.

Matt kubanda

18 minutes ago, Midnight Music said:

Heads up everyone, if you upgrade the scenery you have re-install FTX Global, trees and ObjectFlow or you get some weird patches, because basic ORBX scenery stuff gets replaced by the new scenery install.

Do you have to reinstall any open LC stuff to or just the global base?

Matt kubanda

5 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Do you have to reinstall any open LC stuff to or just the global base?

If scenery is changed then yes - all Orbx stuff needs to be changed.  At this point, so many things are getting changed.  Only with Client update you can leave the whole sim.  See Orbx forums - on how to reinstall with the least amount of downloading.  I have all my orbxdirect packages.  This is the only addon which takes time.  All my other addons are in Prepar3d Addons directory and works flawlessly.  

Please see Prepar3d Tips section in the forums - Poppet guide are excellent and answers all the installation questions.  Her screenshots are awesome too.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

1 minute ago, Skywolf said:

If scenery is changed then yes - all Orbx stuff needs to be changed.  At this point, so many things are getting changed.  Only with Client update you can leave the whole sim.  See Orbx forums - on how to reinstall with the least amount of downloading.  I have all my orbxdirect packages.  This is the only addon which takes time.  All my other addons are in Prepar3d Addons directory and works flawlessly.  

Please see Prepar3d Tips section in the forums - Poppet guide are excellent and answers all the installation questions.  Her screenshots are awesome too.

Thanks for the insight. I'll get to it eventually. I have a 4 day trip starting tomorrow so I won't be able to touch anything until I get back home.

Matt kubanda