Skywolf

First reactions to P3Dv4.4

Have not had chance yet to download 4.4 client yet. But dying to hear from early adopters that the claimed improvements to rendering photoreal scenery are legit, particularly with respect to add-on airports. Do these airports no longer look like gray holes in the middle of ambient scenery? And when you pan around the airport, do we no longer need to wait a couple seconds for buildings to convert from black blocks to actual scenery? Hoping the answers are YES!

Rich

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If I reinstall the scenery content do I need to reinstall ORBX back on top of the new default scenery?

1 minute ago, PATCO LCH said:

If I reinstall the scenery content do I need to reinstall ORBX back on top of the new default scenery?

I'm pretty sure all you have to do is open ftx central and it activates all the scenery again, with no need to reinstall. 

Just now, PATCO LCH said:

Yes.

Please see the tips & section.

I did a full brand new installation.  Uninstalled everything....only my addons pmdg & orbx have to installed again, rest everything is in prepar3d addons folder - everything shows up snap.  Hence the need to have all addons outside the sim directory.  

58 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Is this really necessary?

Not necessary to uninstall everything.  I plan on uninstalling the scenery/content elements of P3D and then install the version 4.4 scenery/content files.  If I ever get a crash where I have to reset or reformat my drives, I'll do a clean install then.

I just updated to v4.4 and everything went smoothly (I updated client, content, and scenery), but I have 2 questions

1. Do any of the default aircraft have the new PBR textures? I couldn't tell which ones have it and which ones don't. (although I only looked at a 3 of the default planes)

2. I initially forgot that when you update P3D it resets the settings and you have to put the setting back after you update. I put everything back to what I had except I forgot if I had the Vsync option on or off. Should I put that option on or off? What are the benefits of having that option on? 

46 minutes ago, Joseph29 said:

I initially forgot that when you update P3D it resets the settings and you have to put the setting back after you update. I put everything back to what I had except I forgot if I had the Vsync option on or off. Should I put that option on or off? What are the benefits of having that option on? 

I just did the same - uninstalled client, installed client, uninstalled content, installed content, and uninstalled scenery, installed scenery.  None of my P3D settings changed.  There should have been no reason for your P3D.cfg to have changed.  Still, it is good to rebuild the p3d.cfg and that's what I did.  The vsync option is optional and it might help reduce any screen tearing.  I have it on but not triple buffering.

v4.4 crash on startup due to EZDOK non compatibility.. is there a workaround beside uninstalling EZDOK ?

thank you

5 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

The F16 is in the content deployment not client, you'll need to install that if you didn't do a full install and client only.

?What do you mean?  For first time in a flight with V4.4 you may have a longer than normal black screen (shaders also get built) and may need to wait a minute or two pending the speed of your system.  Other cause could be add-ons you've install that aren't compliant with V4.4 yet.  And finally, if you're running very high graphics settings you could have run out of VRAM.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob. An update. My PC Specs: CPU 7700K with 1080ti. What I meant was after unistalling the 4.3 client and installing the 4.4 client (as I have always successfully done with previous point updates), the simulator would load, but bypassing the scenario screen straight into the default plane - F22. Simulator was running with black screen (I could hear RAAS, the F22, etc). But, I have discovered the issue! I was receiving an error message at start-up from FSLabs (A320x). I uninstalled FSLabs and now the sim starts up normally and into the scenario screen as expected. As you predicted, an incompatible addon. Just thought I would report this should others run into the same issue. Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Peter.

Edited by Peter Webber
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I just did the same - uninstalled client, installed client, uninstalled content, installed content, and uninstalled scenery, installed scenery.  None of my P3D settings changed.  There should have been no reason for your P3D.cfg to have changed.  Still, it is good to rebuild the p3d.cfg and that's what I did.  The vsync option is optional and it might help reduce any screen tearing.  I have it on but not triple buffering.

Thanks. I have never seen screen tearing in any sim I had, so I will leave the vsync option off. Also I think my P3D setting go back to default settings because I delete the cfg file after I update to the next P3D version (They say to do that in the P2D forums).

4 hours ago, jimcarrel said:

It is amazing. At this point I don't think I'm going to mess around with PTA any more. I had recalibrated my monitor again this afternoon. Hadn't done that in two or three new driver installs, and when I fired this thing up with 4.4 Client with real time I couldn't believe the night sky. I didn't know we had the milky way above our heads. Never seen it before. Maybe all this time shader tweaking had it hidden from me. In 4.3 I had best frame rates locked at 28 and it stayed at about 28.7 and smooth. With 4.4 I'm running unlimited and averaging 57 fps. Sliders about 3/4 and above to the right. Same settings as in 4.3. Sorry if it seems I'm pleased. 

So did you compare locked fps to... unlocked?! This is Funny, sorry.

35 minutes ago, YoYo said:

So did you compare locked fps to... unlocked?! This is Funny, sorry.

Yeah, I'm laughing too, and I'm not sorry...I'm flying

Great to hear about the performance improvements, and I thought I was imagining things when I observed that 4.4 and e.g. the map are loading noticeable faster now.

Can't comment on the smoothness because I did run 4.3 already locked at 60fps 😉 

Edited by FDEdev

Fly over LA with Orbx, and then tell me about performance improvements. lol

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On the subject of locked FPS, I'm now able to lock my FPS at 30 and it maintains 30 FPS. I would normally end up with around 24 FPS. With 4.4 there is no perfomance loss. I normally run unlimited with Vsync and TB (Monitor refresh at 30Hz). Now locked FPS seems to hold. Didn't change any other settings.

24 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

So you can confirm that there's no improvement over LA with orbx scenery?

Edited by FDEdev

I did update to 4.4 yesterday evening too. Regarding the documentation at the Learning Center (Getting Help - Advanced configuration) there are less "tweaks" for the P3D.cfg. Also the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=XX has bin removed. Does this mean they became "worthless/Useless" since 4.4?

Marcus

Edited by mpo910

I love it when there's a new P3D release/update and everybody goes "ooo!" and "aaaa!" about the performance when running a clean P3D install without add-ons. Whilst on the subject of performance, water rendering has apparently been optimized a bit, according to the release notes, so that's good I guess.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Perhaps you realize it, or not; but, you just gave the best answer to this post.  Congrats. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

Or KSFO  with a high-end add-on? That's a nice test. 

7 hours ago, Joseph29 said:

LM removed all Beechcraft aircraft with this update.

Why did they do that?

I did a fresh install, with ORBX Global, Open LC and Vector + the PMDG B-747 400 and all's running smooth and well.

Ah and then FS Flight Control in it's last version works fine also with the v. 4.4

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

Why did they do that?

Cause Lockheed Martin is planing on manufacturing GA and those airplanes would be their competitors . 

kidding.. I have no idea. 

8 minutes ago, Julia said:

I did a fresh install, with ORBX Global, Open LC and Vector + the PMDG B-747 400 and all's running smooth and well.

Ah and then FS Flight Control in it's last version works fine also with the v. 4.4

Thank you, dear. 

I installed client only as a test. I run an 8700k @ 4.6, 1070TI, 16 GB ram, windows 10. I deleted the P3D cfg and shaders. At the same airport as my default saved location in V4.3, and same aircraft and settings as 4.3, I get a 15 fps drop in 4.4. I'm stumped! Back to 4.3 I go..... 😖