Skywolf

First reactions to P3Dv4.4

Rob, how can a tired, outdated, ancient rendering engine do this?ūüėČ

Edited by jabloomf1230
  • Like 3

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Folks,

Wow - that is a spectacular video of FSDT's work - seems like a real game changer - stunning...

Looking forward to seeing a similar video of the first high quality aircraft done with full PBR textures - just to see what we are capable of...

Regards,
Scott

6 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Wow, and thank you Umberto ... I hope he releases this soon.  Amazing!

The specular results are real world, that's the benefit of PBR, what you see outside should map correctly to what you see in simulation when PBR materials are used from a quality PBR materials library.  

Cheers, Rob.

I agree Rob lot's of fun with PBR stuff...

3 hours ago, Maikel van der Heijden said:

Why? Uninstall client, install client, uninstall scenery, install scenery, uninstall content, install content. For you next run FTX central, FSDT live updater and install the Active Sky Beta patch. Thereafter you'll be good to go.

No, no, and no!

If you run Orbx FTX Global, which globally replaces the stock textures, just running FTX Central will not do the trick.  You have to completely reinstall FTXG after the (scenery) update.

Similarly, the Orbx Landclass regions involve a massive amount of reclassification and replacement of landclass and landclass lookup files, and a simple run of FTX Central does *not* fix that, either.

Vector sceneries, such as UTX or Orbx Vector, which make significant changes to terrain.cfg and/or autogen.cfg files also needs attention post-reinstall.

Sceneries that install effects, textures, sounds, and elevation correction files may or may not work correctly after an update...certainly any of them that replaces a stock file will be affected, as that file will be deleted and replaced with the stock file as part of the P3D reinstall.

All of this is manageable if you have a good and fairly complete working knowledge of how/where your add-ons are installed, and how they work.  If you don't, a clean reinstall and rebuild is the better option if you're not willing to be troubleshooting a bunch of issues (elevation problems, missing autogen, missing or incorrect landclass tiles, etc) later.

Regards

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, GSalden said:

If you reinstall Content and Scenery everything added will be lost.

Never had that problem, addons (that don't require an update) work as before the update, such as scenery. I'm going to try next week so I can report back if you want.

EDIT: Just read the comment above my post here, try for yourself and see if that works.

Edited by Maikel van der Heijden

Hmm, am I the only person who is just a tad disappointed? I thought the next update or version would be a completely new graphics engine. I can't help feeling that, while LM are doing a great job, they are patching up a tired and old engine rather than throwing it out and looking to the future with a new racing car that is needed to take on the likes of XP.

Edited by Rockliffe

2 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Hmm, am I the only person who is just a tad disappointed? I thought the next update or version would be a completely new graphics engine. I can't help feeling that, while LM are doing a great job, they are patching up a tired and old engine rather than throwing it out and looking to the future with a new racing car that is needed to take on the likes of XP.

Some of us never look at version updates like 4.1- 4.4 to be game changer updates like new graphics engine. They are usually bug fixes and minor new feature updates. I expect P3Dv5 or v6 to bring some new changes to the table. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, pao said:

Looks nice but hard to see the gain vs some of the great sceneries in P3D 4.3 as some already looks amazing if you include SODE wet textures..

If you look at the textures, then they resembles actual materials instead of flat textures. It gives more realistic feel of it an actual object. It looks much better and more realistic.

2 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

If a new graphics engine comes to P3D, I would not expect it until version 5, which will likely require a completely new purchase (like the transition from version 3 to version 4, that introduced 64 bit).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

I agree, but we don't know what they got up proverbial sleeve either. :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

The current XP 11 engine was also used in XP 8,9 and 10. As P3D its an evolution of the original engine. P3D V5 will likely feature a new engine, but the addition of PBR give this one at least a few years still.

Edited by Montie

12 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Hmm, am I the only person who may be just a tad disappointed? I thought the next update or version would be a completely new graphics engine. I can't help feeling that, while LM are doing a great job, they are patching up a tired and old engine rather than throwing it out and looking to the future with a new racing car that is needed to take on the likes of XP.

This is a minor revision 4.X, and it does incredible things.. it is up to 3rd party content developers now to exploit the capabilities of the new PBR engine.

The disappointment should be at developers that wish to continue compiling things using the FSX SDK (which is almost 20 years old), and that are expecting P3D to continue providing compatibility for their add-on's charging you extra for "allegedly" porting things to P3D. These are the guys slowing things down, not LM, LM is working incredibly hard to move the platform forward despepite the limitations imposed by hundreds and hundreds of products developed for FSX which are "expected" to work under P3D by many end users, you might be wondering, why doing this?, well it is only because they care about their customers (You).

The reality is that if we(all developers) start using only the P3D SDK, the sim will start looking and behaving better, for this reason LM keeps improving the SDK all the time in order to "encourage" 3rd party content developers to stop using the Microsoft SDK, it is a just a matter of time before the support for FSX will be ceased as this is the equivalent of climbing the mount Everest while carrying a couple dead bodies on your back.

Regards,
Simbol

Edited by simbol
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 6

32 minutes ago, GSalden said:

If you reinstall Content and Scenery everything added will be lost.

Not everything...any sceneries that were placed in the default Prepar3D Add-on Files directory in the documents folder will remain and be auto-detected.

The others will remain, but the two add-ons.cfg files that point to them will be gone...if you use Lorby SI's P3D Addon Manager, you can make a backup before reinstalling and get those cfg files back out of the zip archive it creates.

Regards

59 minutes ago, AAN1718A said:

Please make sure that you not only uninstall ALL Prepar3D modules (Client, Content, Scenery etc.) from windows. But also delete all the LM folders on your drive (<user>\AppData\Local & Roaming, and In the Program Data if you truly want to do a clean-reinstall.

I have yet to see any uninstall routine really and truly remove all traces of itself.

It did a clean full install the first time. I have now done a full reinstall and removed all traces from previous installation and its seem to be working now.

I am a sinner , this thread is about to be a first experience but is becomming a discussion and i am a sinner :-).

I still hold on to 4.3 because my VA SAS is after me¬†ūüėć

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

4 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Not everything...any sceneries that were placed in the default Prepar3D Add-on Files directory in the documents folder will remain and be auto-detected.

The others will remain, but the two add-ons.cfg files that point to them will be gone...if you use Lorby SI's P3D Addon Manager, you can make a backup before reinstalling and get those cfg files back out of the zip archive it creates.

Regards

Multiple scenery place files into the main Texture folder, and into Scenery / xx folders like EURW, but also into Scenery\scenery\ xx folders.

That will all be lost..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Then clearly Mitch you were running different settings previously. 

Nope!! 100% P3D V4.4. 

1 minute ago, GSalden said:

Multiple scenery place files into the main Texture folder, and into Scenery / xx folders like EURW, but also into Scenery\scenery\ xx folders.

That will all be lost..

Thanks , thats why my old scenery.cfg is not an 100% solution.

Michael Moe

38 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Rob, how can a tired, outdated, ancient rendering engine do this?

Because everything is 1's and 0's ... quantum computing is still a few years/decades away yet so we're stuck with transistor states. ūüôā

Cheers, Rob.

Just now, GSalden said:

That will all be lost..

Possibly...hence my post up-thread that disagrees with the notion that it's always just a simple uninstall-reinstall process.

*Some* sceneries will be OK, some may need config file entries reinstated, and some will require replacement of the files you mention.  However, if a file is placed in a P3D directory and is not named the same as a stock P3D file, then uninstalling P3D should leave that in place (at least that's how the previous uninstallers worked).  If it overwrote a stock texture, however, it will be deleted and replaced with a stock file.

Clear...as...mud.

25 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Hmm, am I the only person who is just a tad disappointed?

Wow really, you're disappointed with how Umberto's PBR work looks in P3D V4.4?  I'm not sure what to say ... it's a work of art and other developers are likely to follow because PBR will sell, so what exactly are your expectations for V4.x release?

Cheers, Rob.

5 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Wow really, you're disappointed with how Umberto's PBR work looks in P3D V4.4?  I'm not sure what to say ... it's a work of art and other developers are likely to follow because PBR will sell, so what exactly are your expectations for V4.x release?

Cheers, Rob.

I here its not coming soon Rob, Sadly. 

I wonder if the long waited KLAS that seems well overdue, I wonder if that might be because of PBR?

5 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I think some people expect to see this:image.jpg

All without realising that we're actually not that far away from this.

PBR is included in P3D now, with FSDT are showing the way. Plus the new EDDK by Jo Sund (Aerosoft) is spectacularly detailed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Sorry to be dim Bert, but what is .NET update?

If you do not have microsoft .NET 4.7 installed, the client installer will ask you to install it as a prereq..

• Upvote 1