Sign in to follow this  

P3D v4.4 and settings ... and video samples from Beta

20 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

MSI Afterburner ... the overlay doesn't always display (not sure why) ... I seem to get better reliability of the data overlay if I start MSI Afterburner AFTER I start P3D and in a flight.

If you have the hardware to support it, yes ... SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE max value is 128000.0000.  64000.0000 will bet set via P3D UI "Max" settings so if you manually edit you MUST NOT go back into the graphics UI and hit Ok otherwise it'll get reset back to 64000.0000.  WARNING, this will be the most FPS demanding setting.

And MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=32000.0000  (default is 1000.00000) ... both of these should already exist in your prepar3d.cfg.  

[Display]
MaintainSystemCopyOfDeviceTextures=0

This is for Multi-GPU/SLI configurations and should alleviate the case where the 2nd GPU needs to read a texture off disk.

[Graphics]
ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=0

reduces malloc for AG but increases memory usage

There is another setting, but I'm at work now so don't recall from the top of my head.  But like I suggested, I'll do a full video on what these settings do, the VRAM impact and/or FPS impact.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

Confirm these are only P3Dv4.4 specific?

Which section is the max scenery draw and max texture draw distance located in?

One thing that drives me nuts is the airport only popping up 8-10 NM out in 4.3 even on my SLI rig thats very high end.

I just got replacement 2080Tis today so will give this a go when you confirm.

Thanks.

Edited by American 833 Heavy

qwsig_Emil02-1.gif

airports (payware) are turning black when I look away (not far from the airport) and then it loads again when I look at it, is there anyway to fix this?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

13 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

airports (payware) are turning black when I look away (not far from the airport) and then it loads again when I look at it, is there anyway to fix this?

Ron,

Open your Prepar3D.cfg with note pad and try this:

[DISPLAY]

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=31
TEXTUREMAXLOAD=12

Increase "TEXTUREMAXLOAD=12"  by 3 until you don't see the reloading.

Hope it works for you.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

53 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Ron,

[DISPLAY]

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=31
TEXTUREMAXLOAD=12

Hope it works for you.

thanks I'll try right now. I put this into the cfg right because it isn't already ther?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

3 hours ago, fakeflyer737 said:

I responded above, did you try those settings?

[GRAPHICS]
MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000
[DISPLAY]
[SCENERY]
SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE=64000.000000

As I indicated above "Object is within the far clip distance. This varies by altitude" ... this is a restriction ... if you spin your head around a lot and exceed far clip distance then you may still suffer from textures loading/unloading.  But if you have the GPU/CPU processing power experiment with values above.

3 hours ago, American 833 Heavy said:

Confirm these are only P3Dv4.4 specific?

Yes and No.  PR (photoreal) uses the same settings as LC (landclass) now (check Hi Res terrain in P3D) so they are in sync.  With Hi Res unchecked = 256, checked = 512, for 1024 then manual edit of prepar3d.cfg

[TERRAIN]
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

is 1024 (both LC and PR).

[DISPLAY]

[GRAPHICS]

[SCENERY]

These are new for P3D V4.4.  

SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE  -- (New) this value changes with AG distance slider (medium and low) will be 32000 (meters or 32km), at max the value will be 64000 (64km) ... this value can be manually increased to a max of 128000 (128km), be warned there can be significant FPS hit if you go to 128000. Also be aware that if you do manual edits of this value and then go into P3D graphic settings and make "other" unrelated changes and hit OK, it would reset this value to whatever you AG distance slider is currently at.

MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE -- (New) there is no cap on this value, default is 1000 ... experiment, 320000 worked well for my 1080Ti but try high if you have the VRAM to spare

ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION -- (New) I would set this to zero unless you are short on VRAM

MaintainSystemCopyOfDeviceTextures -- (Older) Present in earlier versions of P3D and defaults to 1, setting to 0 is primarily useful for multiple-GPUs so that copies of textures don't have to be pull from disk when needed

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP -- (Older) Expanded to include PR (photoreal) ... the ONLY time you should be using this entry is if you want 1024 PR/LC textures, it is NOT required for 512 or 256, and in fact should no exist as an entry if you use 256 (Hi Res Tiles unchecked).

RS_MIN_OBJECT_PIXEL_RADIUS -- (Older) Available in V4.3 and v4.4 - default is 2.0, I've tried 1.0 and didn't notice much difference, experiment ... this setting should already exists in the Prepar3d.cfg.

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

Ron,

[DISPLAY]

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=31
TEXTUREMAXLOAD=12

These settings will make no difference, please see my response above to Ron.

Cheers, Rob.

8 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I responded above, did you try those settings?

[GRAPHICS]
[DISPLAY]
[SCENERY]

As I indicated above "Object is within the far clip distance. This varies by altitude" ... this is a restriction ... if you spin your head around a lot and exceed far clip distance then you may still suffer from textures loading/unloading.  But if you have the GPU/CPU processing power experiment with values above.

Yes and No.  PR (photoreal) uses the same settings as LC (landclass) now (check Hi Res terrain in P3D) so they are in sync.  With Hi Res unchecked = 256, checked = 512, for 1024 then manual edit of prepar3d.cfg

[TERRAIN]
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

is 1024 (both LC and PR).

[DISPLAY]

[GRAPHICS]

[SCENERY]

These are new for P3D V4.4.  

SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE  -- (New) this value changes with AG distance slider (medium and low) will be 32000 (meters or 32km), at max the value will be 64000 (64km) ... this value can be manually increased to a max of 128000 (128km), be warned there can be significant FPS hit if you go to 128000. Also be aware that if you do manual edits of this value and then go into P3D graphic settings and make "other" unrelated changes and hit OK, it would reset this value to whatever you AG distance slider is currently at.

MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE -- (New) there is no cap on this value, default is 1000 ... experiment, 320000 worked well for my 1080Ti but try high if you have the VRAM to spare

ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION -- (New) I would set this to zero unless you are short on VRAM

MaintainSystemCopyOfDeviceTextures -- (Older) Present in earlier versions of P3D and defaults to 1, setting to 0 is primarily useful for multiple-GPUs so that copies of textures don't have to be pull from disk when needed

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP -- (Older) Expanded to include PR (photoreal) ... the ONLY time you should be using this entry is if you want 1024 PR/LC textures, it is NOT required for 512 or 256, and in fact should not existing as an entry if you use 256 (Hi Res Tiles unchecked).

RS_MIN_OBJECT_PIXEL_RADIUS -- (Older) Available in V4.3 and v4.4 - default is 2.0, I've tried 1.0 and didn't notice much difference, experiment ... this setting should already exists in the Prepar3d.cfg.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob

First thanks again, a couple of questions

Can you tell me with a little more detail what "max texture request distance" actual does in terms of what I would notice?

Will it have a significant frames impact if set higher or is it just vram, my 1070 has 8Gb of ram? 

Also I assume if the max texture setting is increased with the addition of "enable memory optimization" set to zero this would be a compounding affect and then a vram situation could arise?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

17 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

These settings will make no difference, please see my response above to Ron.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob. 

Is there anything we can do about "z-fighting" or rapid texture flickering (ie FlightBeam KSFO)?

Ron Hamilton

10 minutes ago, joepoway said:

Can you tell me with a little more detail what "max texture request distance" actual does in terms of what I would notice?

Will it have a significant frames impact if set higher or is it just vram, my 1070 has 8Gb of ram? 

Also I assume if the max texture setting is increased with the addition of "enable memory optimization" set to zero this would be a compounding affect and then a vram situation could arise?

It's more about what you would NOT notice ... textures will load and have a better chance of staying loaded from very far away provided the memory limit value has not been exceeded.

I haven't noticed any FPS hit from this setting, but if you exceed VRAM then you will see a performance drop.  Do NOT use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP if you have 8GB VRAM or less. The other settings should be fine, experiment and see what works best for your hardware.

The ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION is different, but you can expect to see more VRAM usage with it set to ZERO.

The setting that will impact FPS the most is SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE 

Cheers, Rob.

16 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

Is there anything we can do about "z-fighting" or rapid texture flickering

In the camera config file you can try changing:

NearClipOverride    float    Greater than zero.
Default: Variable    Overrides the near clip plane of the camera. Units are in meters. Setting a near clip value too low could potentially cause z-fighting in the distance due to lose of depth buffer precision.

FarClipOverride    float    Greater than zero.
Default: Variable    Overrides the far clip plane of the camera. Units are in meters. This value should be large enough to cover the distance desired to be visible to the camera. If NearClipOverride is used, the FarClipOverride value should be larger than the NearClipOverride value.

Per learning center docs: https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/sdk/cameras/camera_configuration.html

NearClipOverride - increase the value to the highest value required to resolve the z-fighting ... be aware it can "clip" objects close to you if you increase the value.  Range is usually 1.0 to 5.0 ... you'll need it to be set per defined camera in camera.cfg.

Cheers, Rob.

9 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

It's more about what you would NOT notice ... textures will load and have a better chance of staying loaded from very far away provided the memory limit value has not been exceeded.

I haven't noticed any FPS hit from this setting, but if you exceed VRAM then you will see a performance drop.  Do NOT use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP if you have 8GB VRAM or less. The other settings should be fine, experiment and see what works best for your hardware.

The ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION is different, but you can expect to see more VRAM usage with it set to ZERO.

The setting that will impact FPS the most is SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE 

Cheers, Rob.

Again thanks Rob!

I was aware not to use Texture_Size_Exp

I have another question: where is the Enable_Memory_Optimization entry in the config file?

I found and edited the Max_Texture... entry but cannot find the Enable_Memory.. in the [Graphics] section or anywhere else? 

Is it an entry that I must add to the [Graphics] section?

Joe

Edited by joepoway

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

2 minutes ago, joepoway said:

I have another question: where is the Enable_Memory_Optimization entry in the config file?

See my response above, it goes anywhere in the [GRAPHICS] section.

Cheers, Rob.

1 minute ago, Rob Ainscough said:

See my response above, it goes anywhere in the [GRAPHICS] section.

Cheers, Rob.

I must have missed that, sorry to trouble you but thanks for the help I'm liking what I see in v4.4. so far!

Joe

Thank you VERY much, Rob.

Great Insight on some of the newest stuff in 4.4 and SLI optimization.

I'm gonna upgrade to 4.4 real soon and apply these tweaks!

qwsig_Emil02-1.gif

Life would be a lot easier if they just incorporated all these settings into UI. LOL

• Like 2

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

6 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

32000 or 320000?  You used both numbers several times in the context of this setting...just want to confirm this is distance in m, in which case 32000 (~20nm) might make more sense.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case