Sign in to follow this  

P3D v4.4 and settings ... and video samples from Beta

As far as TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 goes, it does double the size of the textures which is the reason for the slower load times. While I love the visual from it, the load time drives me crazy seeing it takes twice as long to load. If your patient and have a powerful video card than its worth using. 

Several months back I saw Rob A on YouTube using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 with High Resolution Textures checked. I wonder if that does anything visually? 

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Slower load time? Wow,have enough time to make coffee and grab a sandwich! 🙂

Detailed as always Rob, thanks. One question for you - I am thinking of going SLI and adding a second 1080ti instead of shelling out a grand or more for the new cards. Does SLI really help P3D and how?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I'll get back to responding to these questions later today (Sat - PT) as I've got other duties to attend to this AM.  

I would encourage everyone to experiment with these settings as it will NOT cause your system any "harm", worst thing that could happen is you run out of VRAM which might cause a CTD.  Just remember anytime you CTD wipe out shaders and sceneryindexes64 (they get recreated on next start).

Yes, 1024 textures will take much longer to load and the more add-ons you have installed and "ACTIVE" (key being active) the longer it will take, if you want to shorten that time either uncheck the add-ons not being used (via UI Add-Ons or via Scenery Library).  Remember, P3D (and FSX for that matter) loads the ENTIRE planet ... many people have mistakenly thought it only loads what you see, that's NOT correct.

SLI does help P3D IF you run GPU heavy loads, however be aware that SLI increases CPU loads (in my experience CPU loads increase about 17% in P3D) ... what that means is you need to find the balance ... if you're already at 90% CPU load with one GPU adding a second GPU is going increase your CPU load so you end up pegged at 100%, then you'll have to reduce CPU intensive loads like (AI Traffic, Road/Boat Traffic, AG Buildings) ... so it's give and take, if you like better AA and better performance with Dynamic Lights and Dynamic Reflections but don't mind giving up some AI Traffic and a notch less AG buildings, then SLI "might" be worth it.  But I can't stress enough that SLI will increase CPU loads (that's always been the case and isn't P3D specific).

Gotta run, will get back to this later today.

Cheers, Rob.

47 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Yes, 1024 textures will take much longer to load and the more add-ons you have installed and "ACTIVE" (key being active) the longer it will take, if you want to shorten that time either uncheck the add-ons not being used (via UI Add-Ons or via Scenery Library).  Remember, P3D (and FSX for that matter) loads the ENTIRE planet ... many people have mistakenly thought it only loads what you see, that's NOT correct.

Very Interesting. Like many others I have tons of scenery installed. I've been thinking if I should only activate the scenery that I'm flying too/from would be the way to go. I wonder if using Add-On Organizer or the UI would be the way to go. My example would be, if flying in the US, than I would disable the 3rd party scenery outside the US. 

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

16 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

Very Interesting. Like many others I have tons of scenery installed. I've been thinking if I should only activate the scenery that I'm flying too/from would be the way to go. I wonder if using Add-On Organizer or the UI would be the way to go. My example would be, if flying in the US, than I would disable the 3rd party scenery outside the US. 

I do that all the time. In the Lorby software I set up groups of sceneries (e.g.USA or Europe, etc.) and I only activate that group which I am flying in.

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

10 minutes ago, ShezA said:

I do that all the time. In the Lorby software I set up groups of sceneries (e.g.USA or Europe, etc.) and I only activate that group which I am flying in.

Do you include the Orbx scenery?

Dan

36 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

LORBY 'groups' work well with Orbx  ....well I only have the North America regions+ a few airports.

1 hour ago, Wise87 said:

Yes as said above.

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Just ordered 3x 55” 4K monitors to replace the 40” - 32” - 32” 2K monitors.

Instead of 2 views I will return to 1 view with LM Disrtortion Correction to obtain max fps...

If the 2080Ti can’t handle that much of pixels I will run them at 2K till I can buy a second hand 2080Ti somewhere in the future.

Or in the meantime I can run them each slightly higher than 1920 x 1080...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

18 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

Slower load time? Wow,have enough time to make coffee and grab a sandwich! 🙂

Sure, it takes about 4 minutes for a flight to load!

• Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

20 hours ago, GSalden said:

return to 1 view with LM Disrtortion Correction

Hi GSalden-

I'm running 3x27" monitors. What is this exactly?

Hopefully not three separate windows dragged to 3 separate monitors. Tried that one a ways back and was a bust, fps wise..

Thanks,

Mark

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:43 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

And MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=32000.0000  (default is 1000.00000) ... both of these should already exist in your prepar3d.cfg.  

[Graphics]
ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=0

reduces malloc for AG but increases memory usage

Could it be that these settings alone are pretty hard on FPS? I directly included this cfg tweak after updating P3Dv4.4 and somehow my FPS are not a single digit higher than before. I thought I would be fine with my 1080Ti (11GB VRAM) and 32GB system RAM...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

8 hours ago, AnkH said:

Could it be that these settings alone are pretty hard on FPS?

These settings MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE, ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=0, MaintainSystemCopyOfDeviceTextures=0 should have no impact to FPS.  The setting that will have an impact to FPS is:

SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE=128000.000000

But the catch-22 is SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE setting will also be the best option to prevent unloading/loading of textures ... when I have a chance I'll demonstrate the effects of each of these settings ... but that might be after Dec 14th as I'm swamped with work and life at the moment.

Cheers, Rob.

On 12/1/2018 at 1:23 PM, GSalden said:

If the 2080Ti can’t handle that much of pixels

Max single resolution supported is 7680 x 4320 (8K).  If you don't run those monitors at native resolution you "might" be subject to blurry image quality.  Also be aware P3D doesn't support desktop different scaling on more than 1 monitor (they must all be the same scale value) and the scaling only applies to things like text/menus, the in flight will still be at native or whatever resolution is selected.  So you'll have to run the monitors at non-native resolutions which is where you might encounter less than "sharp" image quality.

Some monitors can do upscaling of lower res to 4K ... I think you need to set the monitor into a "different" mode in order to accomplish "upscaling" when connected to a PC.  This "might" produce better image quality and less FPS hit ... but "I think" you may need to change to YCbCr format (not RGB) ... here is a good article on YCbCr.

Desktop scaling works very well on smaller 4K monitors and can really make text look super sharp and clean since it still operates at 4K res ... but you do lose desktop real-estate when scaling.

Cheers, Rob.