Rob Ainscough

P3D v4.4 and settings ... and video samples from Beta

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, joepoway said:

I have another question: where is the Enable_Memory_Optimization entry in the config file?

See my response above, it goes anywhere in the [GRAPHICS] section.

Cheers, Rob.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1 minute ago, Rob Ainscough said:

See my response above, it goes anywhere in the [GRAPHICS] section.

Cheers, Rob.

I must have missed that, sorry to trouble you but thanks for the help I'm liking what I see in v4.4. so far!

Joe

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you VERY much, Rob.

Great Insight on some of the newest stuff in 4.4 and SLI optimization.

I'm gonna upgrade to 4.4 real soon and apply these tweaks!

Share this post


Link to post

Life would be a lot easier if they just incorporated all these settings into UI. LOL

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE -- (New) there is no cap on this value, default is 1000 ... experiment, 320000 worked well for my 1080Ti but try high if you have the VRAM to spare

32000 or 320000?  You used both numbers several times in the context of this setting...just want to confirm this is distance in m, in which case 32000 (~20nm) might make more sense.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post

I tried the following settings and my terminal buildings were either missing or transparent at ImagineSim KATL and KLGA. The SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE=64000.000000 was causing the problem. 

[GRAPHICS]
ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=0
MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000

[SCENERY]
SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE=64000.000000

Edited by Wise87

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

The SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE=64000.000000 was causing the problem.

I doubt that was the problem unless you ran out of VRAM, that 64000 value is assigned thru standard P3D Graphics settings UI when you set to AG distance slide to all the way to the right ... the max value you can use is 128000 if you edit the prepar3d.cfg manually.

39 minutes ago, w6kd said:

32000 or 320000?

320000 is the value I've been using, sorry for any typo's.  But per LM's information, you can set this to 1000000, there is no limit.  I have no idea what the units of measure are for MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE ... here is Beau's (LM) exact words:

There's no cap on this value itself because it's intended as a limit. If you want textures requesting aggressively, you can set it something very high like 1000000. There are two other checks that must pass before textures are requested:
1) Object is within the far clip distance. This varies by altitude.
2) Object pixel size at a given distance passes min radius check. This we made configurable in 4.3 using RS_MIN_OBJECT_PIXEL_RADIUS. (default is 2.0px)

Cheers, Rob.

Share this post


Link to post

Just out of curiosity is anyone using these tweaks and seeing any difference from not applying them? It’s always been preached to not tweak the settings and if LM wanted you to make changes it would be in the UI. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Wise87 said:

Just out of curiosity is anyone using these tweaks and seeing any difference from not applying them? It’s always been preached to not tweak the settings and if LM wanted you to make changes it would be in the UI. 

I've been trying them out this morning with my standard test flight around KLAX using TrackIR.  Take off from 25L, make a 20nm downwind over Long Beach and land 25R.  When I turn onto the crosswind over the Pacific and look left to the city all the autgen buildings are black and the textures pop after a couple of seconds.  But the FSDT KLAX is still fully visible, which is an improvement from before.  My VRAM usage is just under 9GB vs. 5GB before.  RAM is 10GB vs 8.5GB.

[GRAPHICS]
MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000
ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=0

[TERRAIN]
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10
UseGlobalTerrainView=True

My autogen settings were not maxed out for this test which was a leftover from previously having Orbx SoCal loaded, which is a frame killer and stutter inducer.  I'm going to re-run the test with only OpenLC NA and max autogen.

As soon as I look left:

GN70j3X.jpg

After a couple of seconds:

SPnmln4.jpg

Video showing autogen texture popping:

 

 

Edited by LRW
Added video showing autogen texture popping

Share this post


Link to post

Gonna be upgrading to 4.4 now.

Rob what about these 2 settings :

MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=
POP_FREE_AUTOGEN=

Any recommendation what I should be setting these at?

My CPU is an AMD TR 2990WX No OC just Turbo Boost enable and HT off and SLI RTX 2080Tis. 32GB DDR4 Ram XMP 3200 CL14.

Thanks.

Edited by American 833 Heavy

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:05 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

[DISPLAY]

MaintainSystemCopyOfDeviceTextures=0

MaintainSystemCopyOfDeviceTextures -- (Older) Present in earlier versions of P3D and defaults to 1, setting to 0 is primarily useful for multiple-GPUs so that copies of textures don't have to be pull from disk when needed 

As I read it it should be 0 with 1 GPU and 1 with multiple GPU's… ?

So why it has to be 1 with 1 GPU ?

 

Second question : 512 vs 1024 PR textures . Does it tax the CPU extra or just the GPU ?  

 

Regards, Gerard

 

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, GSalden said:

As I read it it should be 0 with 1 GPU and 1 with multiple GPU's… ?

So why it has to be 1 with 1 GPU ?

 

Second question : 512 vs 1024 PR textures . Does it tax the CPU extra or just the GPU ?  

 

Regards, Gerard

 

Hey Gerard, I run a 1080ti and have set TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10. So far, apart from longer loading times of scenarios, I have not seen any detrimental affect. I can see a noticeable difference in textures at distance and things look overall sharper. I am about to do a longer flight today, down to LOWI in the NGX so I will wait to see the outcome 😊

Edited by Rockliffe

Share this post


Link to post

I have tried these tweaks and the textures are sharper and go more into the distance. However, P3D loading is much slower now. I am going to try and isolate what is slowing this down so much.

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Hey Gerard, I run a 1080ti and have set TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10. So far, apart from longer loading times of scenarios, I have not seen any detrimental affect. I can see a noticeable difference in textures at distance and things look overall sharper. I am about to do a longer flight today, down to LOWI in the NGX so I will wait to see the outcome 😊

Perhaps you could try a short flight with 1024 textures and then 512 textures and check GPU and CPU load.. 

Or Anyone else.

At this moment I am replacing my monitors and have no running Fs..

Thanks in advance..🤗

Share this post


Link to post

Hey Rob, thanks for all the enlightening things I read in this thread. :)

Just want to confirm for myself (as a single GPU user):

"MaintainSystemCopyOfDeviceTextures=0" and "ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=0" are only relevant for multiple GPU usage?

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post

Rob, please advise how shall I avoid those unrealistic missing autogen renderings black Airports and textures pop up late. because it still exist in p3d4.4 for me.

i7 6700k 4.2 ghz 1080ti 32 gb ram. Now I’m at 37000 ft in bad weather flying from Macedonia to Pula Airport  and have in VC 45-47 FPS.

external view goes to 55-60 FPS.

Vsync of tb off unlimited. No tweaks in p3d cfg file.

thank you George

Sorry for my English, hope you understand my issue

Edited by georgiosgiannoukos

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Perhaps you could try a short flight with 1024 textures and then 512 textures and check GPU and CPU load.. 

Or Anyone else.

At this moment I am replacing my monitors and have no running Fs..

Thanks in advance..🤗

While I have not yet tested between the two resolutions, I did check GPU and CPU load after installing TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 and although it was only a short test, I tested for about 5 minutes in heavy load scenario, ie, 8/8 cloud with thunderstorm and neither the GPU or CPU load went above 50%. As I say, I really did not see any issues whatsoever, apart from it took about 4 minutes for the scenario to load. I may well report different finding after a longer flight in the NGX. Later today will tell.

Edited by Rockliffe

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

While I have not yet tested between the two resolutions, I did check GPU and CPU load after installing TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 and although it was only a short test, I tested for about 5 minutes in heavy load scenario, ie, 8/8 cloud with thunderstorm and neither the GPU or CPU load went above 50%. As I say, I really did not see any issues whatsoever, apart from it took about 4 minutes for the scenario to load. I may well report different finding after a longer flight in the NGX. Later today will tell.

How was the load before ?

My cpu load on core 0 is always 90-99% ( 3 screens ) with V4.3..

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, GSalden said:

How was the load before ?

My cpu load on core 0 is always 90-99% ( 3 screens ) with V4.3..

Just this minute come in from my sim. Flying A2A out of KSFF in a thunderstorm, with no TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 but with HI res textures on in control panel, both GPU and CPU load showing round about 45% with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 load on both seemed to be around 50% 😊 Seems to be very little difference. But as I say, loading up the flight is a bit of a yawn, but worth it I think.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Just this minute come in from my sim. Flying A2A out of KSFF in a thunderstorm, with no TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 but with HI res textures on in control panel, both GPU and CPU load showing round about 45% with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 load on both seemed to be around 50% 😊 Seems to be very little difference. But as I say, loading up the flight is a bit of a yawn, but worth it I think.

Thanks for the testing ....

Share this post


Link to post

As far as TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 goes, it does double the size of the textures which is the reason for the slower load times. While I love the visual from it, the load time drives me crazy seeing it takes twice as long to load. If your patient and have a powerful video card than its worth using. 

Several months back I saw Rob A on YouTube using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 with High Resolution Textures checked. I wonder if that does anything visually? 

Edited by Wise87

Share this post


Link to post

Slower load time? Wow,have enough time to make coffee and grab a sandwich! 🙂

Share this post


Link to post

Detailed as always Rob, thanks. One question for you - I am thinking of going SLI and adding a second 1080ti instead of shelling out a grand or more for the new cards. Does SLI really help P3D and how?

Share this post


Link to post

I'll get back to responding to these questions later today (Sat - PT) as I've got other duties to attend to this AM.  

I would encourage everyone to experiment with these settings as it will NOT cause your system any "harm", worst thing that could happen is you run out of VRAM which might cause a CTD.  Just remember anytime you CTD wipe out shaders and sceneryindexes64 (they get recreated on next start).

Yes, 1024 textures will take much longer to load and the more add-ons you have installed and "ACTIVE" (key being active) the longer it will take, if you want to shorten that time either uncheck the add-ons not being used (via UI Add-Ons or via Scenery Library).  Remember, P3D (and FSX for that matter) loads the ENTIRE planet ... many people have mistakenly thought it only loads what you see, that's NOT correct.

SLI does help P3D IF you run GPU heavy loads, however be aware that SLI increases CPU loads (in my experience CPU loads increase about 17% in P3D) ... what that means is you need to find the balance ... if you're already at 90% CPU load with one GPU adding a second GPU is going increase your CPU load so you end up pegged at 100%, then you'll have to reduce CPU intensive loads like (AI Traffic, Road/Boat Traffic, AG Buildings) ... so it's give and take, if you like better AA and better performance with Dynamic Lights and Dynamic Reflections but don't mind giving up some AI Traffic and a notch less AG buildings, then SLI "might" be worth it.  But I can't stress enough that SLI will increase CPU loads (that's always been the case and isn't P3D specific).

Gotta run, will get back to this later today.

Cheers, Rob.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Yes, 1024 textures will take much longer to load and the more add-ons you have installed and "ACTIVE" (key being active) the longer it will take, if you want to shorten that time either uncheck the add-ons not being used (via UI Add-Ons or via Scenery Library).  Remember, P3D (and FSX for that matter) loads the ENTIRE planet ... many people have mistakenly thought it only loads what you see, that's NOT correct.

Very Interesting. Like many others I have tons of scenery installed. I've been thinking if I should only activate the scenery that I'm flying too/from would be the way to go. I wonder if using Add-On Organizer or the UI would be the way to go. My example would be, if flying in the US, than I would disable the 3rd party scenery outside the US. 

Edited by Wise87

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now