Rob Ainscough

P3D v4.4 and settings ... and video samples from Beta

Recommended Posts

Very confused right now. Anybody out there Who gives a little short summary for a guy like me. 

Edited by zwenna
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Rob, Joe, anyone? can someone please expand a little on 

[GRAPHICS]
ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=0
MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000

Am I right... is this the value that holds autogen in memory so that we don't witness delayed autogen loading when changing views? If so, is it both values that need to be added to the Graphics section: ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=0  and  MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000... or is it just: MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000? Thanks.

Edited by Rockliffe

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:27 PM, f.skywalker said:
what value should  set in 4.4
 

MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=
POP_FREE_AUTOGEN=

 

Thanks Frank

there are no values !?

thanks for Help

 

Frank

 

Share this post


Link to post

Howard, I think anything I say at this point may just confuse more (I've provided as much detail as I can earlier in this thread) ... like I suggested above, experiment and see what does or doesn't work.  I must admit, I'm not sure why there is a "barrier" to experimenting with these values?  Am I missing something, no harm will come to your system regardless of what value you enter.

This thread started to go south when folks brought up completely unrelated settings like TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT and TEXTUREMAXLOAD and then somehow "blurries" got into the discussion and now MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame and POP_FREE_AUTOGEN ... all of which have nothing to do with "reducing" black textures on scenery/AG and loading/unloading of textures.

These values aren't going to help much with products that inject objects or use other methods to load textures, but they should help with standard scenery/AG objects.  Again:

[GRAPHICS]
ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=0
MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000
[SCENERY]
SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE=64000.000000  (on upto 128000.000000)

SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE is set via the P3D UI (User Interface) in the Graphics options.  This value is the one MOST likely to reduce AG black textures.  The max value that can be set via P3D UI is 64000.000000 via slider (far right setting), if you manually adjust this setting by editing the Prepar3d.cfg and entering a higher value on upto 128000.000000 then you must NOT go into the P3D UI Graphics section and hit OK or else it will overwrite your manual value with whatever the slider is set at (so if the slider is far right it will reset the value back to 64000.000000).

MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE is NOT subject to P3D UI changes and you can manually edit the Prepar3d.cfg to enter just about any value you like (and it will stick) as there is no cap, so values 1000.000000 to 50000000.000000 are valid.

ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION is either OFF (value = 0) or ON (value = 1) ... if you have VRAM to spare, there is no need to attempt any memory optimization so set the value to 0 (zero).

Cheers, Rob.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Howard, I think anything I say at this point may just confuse more (I've provided as much detail as I can earlier in this thread) ... like I suggested above, experiment and see what does or doesn't work.  I must admit, I'm not sure why there is a "barrier" to experimenting with these values?  Am I missing something, no harm will come to your system regardless of what value you enter.

This thread started to go south when folks brought up completely unrelated settings like TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT and TEXTUREMAXLOAD and then somehow "blurries" got into the discussion and now MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame and POP_FREE_AUTOGEN ... all of which have nothing to do with "reducing" black textures on scenery/AG and loading/unloading of textures.

These values aren't going to help much with products that inject objects or use other methods to load textures, but they should help with standard scenery/AG objects.  Again:

[GRAPHICS]
ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=0
MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000
[SCENERY]
SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE=64000.000000  (on upto 128000.000000)

SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE is set via the P3D UI (User Interface) in the Graphics options.  This value is the one MOST likely to reduce AG black textures.  The max value that can be set via P3D UI is 64000.000000 via slider (far right setting), if you manually adjust this setting by editing the Prepar3d.cfg and entering a higher value on upto 128000.000000 then you must NOT go into the P3D UI Graphics section and hit OK or else it will overwrite your manual value with whatever the slider is set at (so if the slider is far right it will reset the value back to 64000.000000).

MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE is NOT subject to P3D UI changes and you can manually edit the Prepar3d.cfg to enter just about any value you like (and it will stick) as there is no cap, so values 1000.000000 to 50000000.000000 are valid.

ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION is either OFF (value = 0) or ON (value = 1) ... if you have VRAM to spare, there is no need to attempt any memory optimization so set the value to 0 (zero).

Cheers, Rob.

 

Hi Rob, sure, I hear what you're saying. I just wanted to ascertain in my mind the different values and their effects. I have already tested with the values and will continue to do so tomorrow. Thanks as always for your help and support.

Edited by Rockliffe

Share this post


Link to post

Hello people, anyone please can help me reduce the tremble objects and textures in p3d4.4? Is it any solution to this please?

G.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, georgiosgiannoukos said:

Hello people, anyone please can help me reduce the tremble objects and textures in p3d4.4? Is it any solution to this please?

G.

tremble objects and texture???? Sorry, can you expand a little.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, georgiosgiannoukos said:

Sorry my English are not so good. For example I see the yellow taxiway lines shaking or some objects same

If I understand you correctly, this sounds like it could be conflicting mesh or mesh elevation issue. It may be a graphical anomoly. It's difficult without actually seeing what you are describing. Is it every airport or one particular scenery?

Edited by Rockliffe

Share this post


Link to post

So after a lot of testing of the options from Rob and this thread here is what my setup has emerged for the stated parameters (may not be what works for you of course).

[GRAPHICS]
ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZAT ION=0
RS_MIN_OBJECT_PIXEL_RADIUS=1.000000
MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000
SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1
 

[DISPLAY]
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30
MaintainSystemCopyOfDeviceTextures=0 
TEXTURE_FILTERING=16
MSAA=2
SSAA=0
VSYNC=1
FXAA=1
TRIPLE_BUFFER=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=30

[SCENERY]

AUTOGEN_DRAW_DISTANCE=18000.000000
AUTOGEN_TREE_DRAW_DISTANCE_PERCENT=0.900000
AUTOGEN_TREE_MIN_DISTANCE_TO_LOD=2500.000000
MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=16
POP_FREE_AUTOGEN=1
AUTOGEN_BATCH_LOD=2
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=4
AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_TYPE=0
SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE=64000.000000

[MAIN]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.20

[TERRAIN]
UseGlobalTerrainView=True
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=30
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 or 10 (For some odd reason I did not see much difference here)

This has turned out to be the best setup for a balance between sharpness and performance.

I have gone back to the internal limiter to 30 as it appears to be better now than the previous inspector limited 29.5. Vsync/TB are on. My 4K monitor means even MSAA=2 is enough.

Edited by ShezA

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ShezA said:

So after a lot of testing of the options from Rob and this thread here is what my setup has emerged for the stated parameters (may not be what works for you of course).

[GRAPHICS]
ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZAT ION=0
RS_MIN_OBJECT_PIXEL_RADIUS=1.000000
MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000
SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1
 

[DISPLAY]
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30
MaintainSystemCopyOfDeviceTextures=0 
TEXTURE_FILTERING=16
MSAA=2
SSAA=0
VSYNC=1
FXAA=1
TRIPLE_BUFFER=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=30

[SCENERY]

AUTOGEN_DRAW_DISTANCE=18000.000000
AUTOGEN_TREE_DRAW_DISTANCE_PERCENT=0.900000
AUTOGEN_TREE_MIN_DISTANCE_TO_LOD=2500.000000
MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=16
POP_FREE_AUTOGEN=1
AUTOGEN_BATCH_LOD=2
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=4
AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_TYPE=0
SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE=64000.000000

[MAIN]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.20

[TERRAIN]
UseGlobalTerrainView=True
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=30
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 or 10 (For some odd reason I did not see much difference here)

This has turned out to be the best setup for a balance between sharpness and performance.

I have gone back to the internal limiter to 30 as it appears to be better now than the previous inspector limited 29.5. Vsync/TB are on. My 4K monitor means even MSAA=2 is enough.

If I am correct the Texture_Bandwith_Mult is not doing anything anymore since already a couple of releases ago ... 

This is what Rob once wrote..

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, GSalden said:

If I am correct the Texture_Bandwith_Mult is not doing anything anymore since already a couple of releases ago ... 

This is what Rob once wrote..

That is what I thought but when I deleted it I think it reappeared as a default entry. Maybe not...

As I wrote after some experimentation the internal limiter for some reason appears to be doing an equal or better job then the external Inspector limiter so I just used it instead.

Again these are what worked for me and may not work for your system. Trial and observation.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, zwenna said:

@ShezA: Why do you set internal limiter to 30? How about unlimited?

There is a lot of evidence, plus videos on YT to confirm that doing so prevents loss of autogen loading at a destination airport. In other words, running unlimited seems to suggest that autogen loading becomes compromised the farther you get into flight.

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, zwenna said:

@ShezA: Why do you set internal limiter to 30? How about unlimited?

If your monitor supports 30Hz of course.

Share this post


Link to post

My monitor is fixed at 60hz, I have been using NVI to set frames to 29.5 and VSYNC at 1/2 refresh.

Havent tried FRL in the sim since 4.4. Does FFTF Dynamic have a preference on this.

Edited by Langyboy63
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

If your monitor supports 30Hz of course.

It does but I don't limit it. I cannot hold 60fps regularly in-sim especially in dense scenery so I decided to go to 30.

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, this topic is all over the place.... if there was ever a perfect example of "off topic " this is it.

 

It's so random its funny.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Wow, this topic is all over the place.... if there was ever a perfect example of "off topic " this is it.

 

It's so random its funny.

I am reporting on the results of the settings Rob suggested to test and some users wanted to report on how it works in practical terms. Not sure why you think this is off topic.

Share this post


Link to post

it is what happens when you start tweaking, one tweak leads to another etc. etc.

Whats the point of improving textures if your only getting 10FPS, it always about balancing performance v visuals.

You seldom change one thing without the balance being upset. Hence why the conversations moves forward.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/6/2018 at 7:17 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

.....This thread started to go south when folks brought up completely unrelated settings like TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT and TEXTUREMAXLOAD and then somehow "blurries" got into the discussion and now MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame and POP_FREE_AUTOGEN ... all of which have nothing to do with "reducing" black textures on scenery/AG and loading/unloading of textures.

These values aren't going to help much with products that inject objects or use other methods to load textures, but they should help with standard scenery/AG objects.  Again:

[GRAPHICS]
ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=0
MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000
[SCENERY]
SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE=64000.000000  (on upto 128000.000000)

SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE is set via the P3D UI (User Interface) in the Graphics options.  This value is the one MOST likely to reduce AG black textures.  The max value that can be set via P3D UI is 64000.000000 via slider (far right setting), if you manually adjust this setting by editing the Prepar3d.cfg and entering a higher value on upto 128000.000000 then you must NOT go into the P3D UI Graphics section and hit OK or else it will overwrite your manual value with whatever the slider is set at (so if the slider is far right it will reset the value back to 64000.000000).

MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE is NOT subject to P3D UI changes and you can manually edit the Prepar3d.cfg to enter just about any value you like (and it will stick) as there is no cap, so values 1000.000000 to 50000000.000000 are valid.

ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION is either OFF (value = 0) or ON (value = 1) ... if you have VRAM to spare, there is no need to attempt any memory optimization so set the value to 0 (zero).

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

Many thanks for this summary. Playing around with these 3 settings has completely done away with all black building textures and black/silvery AI aircraft at EGLL Pro - brilliant.

Looks like we're back on track, David!

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, ShezA said:

I am reporting on the results of the settings Rob suggested to test and some users wanted to report on how it works in practical terms. Not sure why you think this is off topic.

Just because my post was under your does not mean it was pointed at you. You're on Topic.

You're not sure why I think this has gone off topic Really!

 

BTW for sharpness FXAA=1 is a bad idea.

Edited by Nyxx

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, ShezA said:

It does but I don't limit it. I cannot hold 60fps regularly in-sim especially in dense scenery so I decided to go to 30.

Lol, ShezA, you don't need to hold 60fps if you set your monitor to 30Hz. Just make sure your VSYNC is on in P3D then try slider to Unlimited. You'll see your system will churn out not more than around 30 fps and may well be more fluid.

Edited by Dirk98

Share this post


Link to post

Alternatively if your refresh rate is fixed at 60hz and you cannot force 30hz, is it better to set 1/2 refresh rate in NVI and 30 FPS in sim.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now